Sally Hansen® Ultimate Shield Base & Top Coat

by Sally Hansen

Don't just protect nails – shield them! Sally Hansen Ultimate Shield Base & Top Coat™ protects brittle nails from chipping, peeling and fading. Take your nails from weak to virtually shatterproof!
As a base coat, our Micro-Polymer formula reinforces nails, boosting strength and flexibility. As a top coat, it protects nail color with a shiny, chip-resistant finish. Get shielded nails that defy damage.
As a base coat: Apply to bare nails. Let dry, then apply nail color. As a top coat: Apply 1 coat over dry nail color.
Double your nail protection with Ultimate Shield base and top coat™! A must-have in any serious mani kit.
Step into your always-on salon. No menu. No rules. America’s #1 nail brand, Sally Hansen puts the power of self-made beauty in your hands, with salon-tested solutions and on-trend colors.

Ethyl Acetate, Butyl Acetate, Isopropyl Alcohol, Nitrocellulose, Alcohol Denat., Phthalic Anhydride/Trimellitic Anhydride/Glycols Copolymer, Trimethyl Pentanyl Diisobutyrate, Aqua/Water/Eau, Benzophenone-1, Acrylates Copolymer,Dimethicone, Tocopheryl Acetate, Nylon-12, Panthenol, D&C Violet No. 2 (Ci 60725).

How To Apply:

• As a base coat: Apply to bare nails.Let dry, then apply nail color.
  • As a top coat: Apply 1 coat over dry nail color.

I just ordered this product and all these negative reviews are making me so sad lol. Is it really that clumpy?
How long does it take to dry?
Does this peel off easy?
Start your review of Sally Hansen® Ultimate Shield Base & Top Coat!
How would you rate this product?
Product Highlights
“...because the nail polish don't last on my nails but this product is great every time I use this it last me at least an extra day and for me that's great ” in reviews
“...continued use it prevents hang nails, increases the length of time that my nail polish stays in tact, and keeps my natural nails white and not yellow from bright color. ” in reviews
“PLUS you can use this as a top coat for those at-home glitter mani's and still get all the shine and luster of the glitter unlike some clears that tend to dull the sparkle.” in reviews
“This is great as a top coat but used as a base coat or just on its own, it turned my nails yellow. ” in reviews
“I have never used it as a base coat so I can't write about that.” in reviews
Tobaccoville, NC
Purchased at: Amazon
I love this product first of all because I love Sally Hansen products they’re wonderful that I had never used a base coat or topcoat before and I tried their topcoat quick draw and loved it and then I found out you should wear a base with your polish didn’t know this till about eight years ago and then I tried this and I have loved it and I’ve stayed with it I love their figure polishes are very true to color for what you see in the bottle so but this product is off the charts great it keeps your nails from turning yellow the bus basecoat and the topcoat work together so they just create a wonderful flawless look
Gahanna
I have tried many different brands of top coats, trying to find the best and most effective one. Whether that be between protecting from chipping, nail polish consistency, and how the polish reacts with the top coat.

I’ve had a top coat that would mysteriously take off the colored polish I had underneath and move it around. With this top coat, I find that over time, the consistency thickens and becomes stringy— as you pull off the cap, a sticky “string” of polish connects from the bottle to the brush. Think of the gooey cheese on a pizza. As you take a bite, some cheese will stretch and stretch as you pull the slice away from your closed mouth.

This top coat can work, but I find it’s too high of maintenance for me.

This top coat can work, but I find it’s too high of maintenance for me.
With the first use, the formula felt a little on the thick side but it did the job. The one thing I didn’t not like most is that it had a very strong smell. I also found that the consistency changed rather quickly. I know it is normal for any type of polish to change over time with more exposure to air, but it became thicker and more stringy after only 3 weeks. I didn’t leave it open unnecessarily or overuse it. I didn’t think it performed better than other polish base and top coats. Probably won’t ever buy from sally Hansen again.
Montgomery, TX
Purchased at: Walgreens
I have now used this about a week. whoa! Let me tell you it made my nail polish last at least 3 or 4 days longer! my nails are already firmer. for the first time ever I had that manicure grow out look wit just nail polish! I really cant believe the product was this fabulous for such a great price. I am now on day one of a new color and so far it looks like this week will last as long as last week. The polish I use isn't the expensive stuff but I sure can tell the difference with the Hardener. DO IT!
Coral Springs
Sally Hansen® Advanced Hard As Nails Strengthening Top Coat™ Sally Hansen® Ultimate Shield Base & Top Coat As I can't get my nails done during the quarentine this has been very helpful. It goes on smooth and gives a descent hardness and less chips. I wish it clung to the nail bed a little better, but the ease of use is great...I simply can't do a self dip or a self acrylic. Not that talented with my left hand! Will use again!
It is a standard base/top coat. It is nothing extraordinary but it works if you're in need of one in a pinch, but you're much better off buying a separate base and top coat from any brand. (Even others from Sally Hansen) I would say unless you're too lazy to have separate bottles for top coat and base coat, avoid this because you can get better quality base/top coats that will help your manicure last longer and look shinier.
Saint Louis, MO
This is great when you first use it, but after 2 or 3 uses, it gets SUPER gummy and sticky and thick. Maybe I didn't store it correctly or use it correctly, but I haven't had this issue with others so I'd like to assume it's the product and not me (I'm NEVER WRONG lol). But seriously, I would try this again only because it was so nice on first use that I'd want to give it another shot, but I'm not sure I would 100 percent recommend.
Newark, NJ
Sally Hansen® Ultimate Shield Base & Top Coat uploaded by Jessica S.
I do my nails at home, weekly, and I buy this frequently. (-1pt) When its about to end (like 4/5 of bottle) I always throw it out because it becomes too tick and sticky not good on the nail. BUT I don’t change to any other product just because of that. (+10pts) It is still an amazing product. Leave my nails shiny. Durable for more than a week without Chipping the nail polish. Recommend! 💅🤍😍. Ps.I only use it as top coat.
Annandale, VA
Normally with this brand I only pick up the nail treatments and base/top coats which I think are wonderful. My nails are g great and pretty neglected, but this brands tip base coats help everything last longer and cover up scuff and cracks in my nails. The top coat sets everything quickly and extends the polish underneath. I also love the shiny finish it leaves. It is a good price in range with all other drug store brands
Grand Rapids, MI
Sally Hansen® Ultimate Shield Base & Top Coat uploaded by Lauren B.
Who has the time and money to go to the nail salon every month? Much less deal with all the damage and often painful breakage that comes from French manicures or dip styles? I have found the best solution for taking care of your real nails to to tend to the keratin you have. Sally Hansen base & top coat applies clean and dries fast, making your nails strong shiny and gorgeous even without adding any other colors.
Ask a question to the Influenster community...