RunKeeper App uploaded by Lori L.RunKeeper App uploaded by Anastasia H.RunKeeper App uploaded by Meg H.

BY RUNKEEPER

• Does anyone know if there is a way to shuffle the playlis...6 Answers
  • Does anyone elses app occasionally refuse to shut down? s...7 Answers
  • Does anyone else have a problem with the RunKeeper app dr...8 Answers
RunKeeper App
  • "It tells me how fast I'm going, gives *okay* GPS tracking to measure how far I've gone, and let's me set goals for running a marathon, etc." in 10 reviews
  • "My favorite part is that you can make your own workouts - What I do is have it tell me every time I've gone 0.25 miles, so when I'm struggling, I can think, "Ok, just .25 more miles!"" in 9 reviews
  • "Keeps track of all your runs and allows to compare them and it's just an awesome way to see if you've improved or if you're on your way to accomplishing what you want!" in 9 reviews
  • "I set it to let me know every 5 minutes, my average pace and the time and distance (you can change it to whatever you want) and I love it!" in 8 reviews
  • "This is my favorite running app, I have been using it for over a year and love being able to schedule training plans and track my progress." in 8 reviews
Rachel L.
I use this app every time that I run. While it can get a little off track if your battery is low it is pretty accurate on distance and time. I like that it breaks down the run mile by mile and by elevation. It also lets you rate your run and if it was bad gives you options to input as to why
Stephanie W.
Tampa, FL
I'm relatively new to running, so having free app that will help me keep an eye on my distance and pacing is great. The interface is simple enough: give it a good spot to pick up the GPS signal, hit 'start', and take off. If you can't get a signal or want to run on a treadmill or use a stationary bike, you can manually enter the information.

The app will show your position on a map as you run, including a marker for where you started. Hit an arrow, and you'll see how long you've been running, the distance you've gone, your average pace for the run, and the pace you're running at now. The instant pace can be a little wonky at times. Last night it said, at one point, that I was running at a 25 minutes per mile pace. A couple seconds later, it changed to 12 minutes. That's really not uncommon in GPS watches, either, and knowing my current pace isn't hugely important to me right now.

The distance was fairly close - at least as close as most mid-range watches I've seen reviewed. Once my run was completed, the map shown online was extremely close to my route. I could even see where I went just a little out of the way to go around a puddle. I use the app on a Samsung Galaxy S3 which seems to be fairly spot on, GPS-wise. However, I should mention that I was running in an open area without heavy tree cover or tall buildings, and I ran in a fairly straight line.

I don't know exactly what's different on the pro version, but you can't track mile splits on the free one. Again, this isn't something that I'm terribly concerned with right now, but I know that a lot of runners will absolutely want that information available to them.

Once I start getting ready to run a half marathon, I'll move up to a GPS watch. There's just no way the free version of the app will give enough information for the 'serious business' type of running, and trying to hang on to a phone and deal with unlocking it anytime I need information is an annoyance. However, for everyday running and basic information, this is a great little app that I'll be using for a while.
Alyssa H.
I love this app. I am able to GPS track my running and manually enter other forms of activity. My favorite features are that it keeps records of your weeks, months and years to compare workouts. I also love that i can filter all my 5k, 10k, 1/2 marathons and full marathon data to compare times. Lastly, i really like that on the opening page it records your PR so that you can always be moving towards beating those goals.
Holley P.
Green Springs, OH
I needed an easy to use app to keep track of running and cycling stats. The GPS works most of the time. It didn't register at the YMCA though. It can be a little touchy while running. I bumped it once and it kept repeating the same stats every few seconds. It would probably help to have a pouch or pocket to keep your device in while running.
It also lets you put in stats manually.
Lynette K.
Tucson, AZ
I have tried so many different apps and could never find one that I absolutely loved.  RunKeeper is so easy to use and there are so many features on the free version.  I honestly think the paid version is a little too pricey but that's because I think I can get by without all the extra stuff.
Khalilah A.
San Francisco , CA
I've had this app for over a year and it has worked for me very well. I use it on an iPhone 3GS. I've been able to keep track of my goals. And keep up with my friends who also use the Runkeeper App.

I really enjoy that I can keep track of my running, cycling, and swimming. I also like that you can use it on a stationary machine such as a treadmill, bike, and elliptical machine.

I used to have the NikePlus watch, and shoe device and I was unhappy because I lost a lot of my syncs. I switched to Runkeeper because for my friends it was more reliable. After a year I actually updated to Elite Status which was 19.99 for the year. You get discounts on any of the classes you decide to sign up for.

Also it can sync up to plenty of other apps as well. :)

Over all I've been very happy with Runkeeper!!

Edit: Apparently classes are free, I don't know if it's because I'm Elite or if they changed their policy. But FYI!!
Shannon M.
Hamilton, MT
I found this app when searching for a heart rate monitor. I cannot attest to the running features of the app, but the heart rate monitor leaves something to be desired. Half the time it says it cannot find a heart rate, so I think I'll be using something else in the future. I rated it a B because it does work some of the time and I do like the fact that it has a guide to show you where your heart rate should be. They gave me a "gold" trial for 14 days, afterwards it goes back to basic which does not have nearly as many features. If you're an avid runner, it might be a good investment to pay for the extra features.
Tom R.
I use this for all my cycling. Even though there are apps like Strava specifically for biking, I like the interface and the layout of Runkeeper. It's an easy app to use and with the premium version, I'm able to watch my progress against my previous, hopefully fatter self. I like that I can add a pickup game of basketball to my activities to get calories burned or just input a walk I took with my kids. My next step is to integrate a fitness band with the app. All in all, it's a great way to keep track of your workouts. The GPS is amazingly accurate.
Erin B.
Portland, ME
I have been using a couple of running apps for the last couple of months and this is my second place app. The things that I like about it are: 1.) there are different training plans already created that you can do. 2.) it gives you A LOT of different information about your run. 3.) you can create your own training plans.

There are still a few quirks in the system that I don't like. For example, your pace and time may not always be correct. If you go over any part of the route that you have done before or if the gps cuts out, then it can short change you on time. The app also seems too complicated at times. This is good for a person who wants a lot of data. I'm not one of those people.
Robin C.
Johnson City, TN
First off, I'm no runner. I use RunKeeper primarily when I hike. The GPS has worked fine for me, both while hiking around California and out in the Appalachians with all kinds of dense tree cover and occasionally being in narrow canyons. I love being able to keep track of my pace and seeing all the graphs after a hike.

My only complaint with the app is that if I don't use it for a few days it'll send me reminder notices on my phone basically saying that it's a great time to work out. They're a very minor annoyance. My only other problem isn't so much with the app but with my phone's short battery life. It is pretty much drained after 6+ hours of hiking with the app running.
Ashley C.
Mobile, AL
What is your 1 complaint about the Run Keeper App?
Kathy M.
Williamsport, PA
Does anyone use RunKeeper with GymPact? If so, how do you like it?
Ashley C.
Mobile, AL
What is the main difference between RunKeeper and the Nike App?
Zeb P.
Columbus, OH
Does anyone else have a problem with the RunKeeper app draining your battery?
Allison V.
Knoxville, TN
Does anyone elses app occasionally refuse to shut down? sometimes it still says its tracking my progress even when its not