Roku 2 XD uploaded by Kimberly H.

BY ROKU #5 in Streaming Devices

Cee C.
I purchased my first Roku about 10 years ago.  Roku offers so many free channels along with the paid channels - Netflix, Hulu, Amazon.  One of the free channels offers old westerns, which my dad loves, so what a perfect and easy Christmas gift the Roku was for him a couple years ago.
These little machines are very affordable and last forever.
I suggest purchasing directly from the Roku website. If you get on their email list, they will notify you when they are running a special.
There are a multitude of channel options that can be downloaded for your pleasure, from Exercise, to Cooking, to Cartoons and Movies.
I haven't used another streaming device, so I can't really compare it with another brand. But after such a positive experience with Roku, why would I want to use anything else?

Dorie G.
Duncansville, PA
I have had this Roku for years. We love that there are so many different channels available. It is so easy to set up and easy to use. There is always new things being added and so much to explore. I feel like the operating system is so much easier than the amazon fire stick.  I love that I can unplug it and take it with us anywhere there is a internet access. It is so nice that the box can be hid behind the tv because the remote does not need to have direct eye sight to the box.
Sara B.
Athens, GA
What led to this purchase: We don’t have cable (too far out in the country) and satellite TV isn’t in the budget. We do subscribe to Netflix and we have Amazon Prime too, but our outmoded BluRay player doesn’t have Amazon and the poor old Netflix app would barely run. So I asked for a Roku 2 for an early birthday present.

We haven’t been disappointed!! Here’s what we love so far:

Hubby and I really like FXNow, HGTV, A&E and the live local news we can stream.
The kids are constantly asking to watch PBS Kids, Disney Junior, and Nick Jr.
Netflix is right there for benge watching our favorite shows, new and old.
Amazon Prime Video has most of the old shows Netflix is missing.
The YouTube channel is so helpful for homeschooling. Our World Geography study goes so much smoothr now that I can stream a documentary on the TV instead of them squinting at a small screen. (Parental Controls are in the settings so you can hide all the inappropriate videos.)
Some notes:

A ton of the channels are completely free — PBS Kids, YouTube, etc.
TV channels like A&E, Disney Junior, etc. require you to login with a TV (cable or satellite) provider to view some or all of the content. Some channels let you see a few episodes for free without logging in.
There are several free news channels you can stream for free. We can get Fox News and WSBTV out of Atlanta. Just search for a large city near you or even one you think might be relevant.
Be sure to buy an extra HDMI cable — the player does not come with one.
We chose Roku 2 over the other versions because it best suited our budget and how we planned to use the player. I recommend comparing all the Roku versions before you buy.
I would recommend the Roku (any version) to anyone who:

Would like to stream with Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, Sling, etc. These are great alternatives to paying for full TV service.
Has cable or satellite, but you don’t want to pay for an additional box. Just hook up the Roku to another TV in the house (or in your camper or some hotels), connect to WiFi, use your TV provider login info, and watch.
Angela D.
I finally ditched my cable bill in the fall. I was using another streaming device but did not come with a remote. I recently got this as a gift and its an absolute life saver. No more streaming from my phone to tv. It works great rarely any problems and the remote is just an extra that is awesome!! You can stream from youtube, netflix, hulu and so on. ++++AAAA
Jessica B.
Oakford, PA
I love my Roku so much, I've bought it as gifts for family and I recommend it to everyone I know. I didn't need a new TV so a smart TV was out, but a Roku was the best way to get my streaming accounts on my TV. I know there are other options, but Roku is the best. It is so easy to set up and there are just so many channels available that you can easily cancel your cable service.
Elizabeth R.
Mt Pleasant, MI
I'm in love with this product and don't know why it took me so long to buy this. I'm VERY irresponsible with my money but this is the smartest way I've spent my money in a long time. Everything about this is just so easy and convenient, I'll never go back to cable. I recommend this to everyone, you pay for it once, it so worth it!
Trenasia B.
Nanticoke, PA
This device is genius. You get so many different streaming channels for music, videos, movies, and tv shows. It’s sold at most electronic stores like Best Buy and even Walmart and is so affordable for the great service it provides. It connects to WiFi and offers things the whole family can enjoy!
Stephanie G.
Gambrills, MD
Techie Expert Level 1
Our first streaming device for our kids was the Roku. It was easy to use, even for our children. I loved the remote that came with it, other than the fact that we used to lose it a lot. It is easy to set up and link various applications to it. I really enjoyed this device when we had it.
Alex R.
Hockessin, DE
This is the best product to buy if you're not 100% into cable!
This product exceeded my expectations. I purchased this for college so I could watch Netflix. Little did I know you can get a ton of apps (ex: Youtube, Netflix, Hulu, IheartRadio). Also you can connect your cable company by password and email online and watch TV shows any time you want from more than 50 different Tv channels (lifetime, mtv, A&E, USA.. ect.).

Basically this is OnDemand / the internet (in app form).
This is so convenient if you don't own a smart Tv.

The Roku player is also so tiny and light weight. This weighs about as much as my iphone, but it's chunkier and square in shape. It comes with a little remote, but you can download a roku app Remote on your phone as well.
the convenience is so nice! I don't even watch regular cable anymore now that I have this.
Nina L.
El Paso, TX
This is like a cheaper version of Apple TV! You can watch Netflix, Hulu, YouTube videos, get on Facebook, listen to music on Pandora and more. So many channels you can download and most are available for free!
Jennifer G.
Aliso Viejo, CA
I'm considering cancelling my cable and purchasing something like this. But I'm torn between Roku & Apple TV. Anyone have any suggestions?
Heather T.
Moline, IL
Is this better then Netflix?
Ansley W.
Social Circle , GA
I using this! I use it for netflix, and it's the greatest thing ever.
Tiffany P.
Jonesboro, GA
What are the pros and cons to this? Would you recommend this for someone who doesn't watch much cable?
Frankie-Jo G.
La Puente, CA
Techie Expert Level 3
I just want to know how this works. Like what does it do and what can't it do? I've heard so much about this but I don't want to buy one if its not worth investing money into.