BY RIMMEL LONDON #85 in Face Primer

• Is this product good for oily skin?5 Answers
  • Im looking for a new primer. I have oily skin and a little textur...1 Answers
  • Is this good for oily skin or breakout prone skin?3 Answers
Rimmel Stay Matte Primer
  • "I've been using this primer for a few weeks now and it works pretty well.I don't think that it keeps my skin completely matte but it does help keep my oily skin under control so my make up does last a little bit longer than if I didn't wear a primer" in 6 reviews
Taylor V.
Roxboro, NC
For the price of this product, it holds up pretty well. A few things I did like were that it went on easily and was easy to work with. There were also things I did not like, though. First off, I have very oily skin. My nose and my cheek area are the really bad areas for me. I got this product on a whim because I really liked the way the Rimmel Stay Matte foundation works for me. The first day that I tried this product I used it with the Rimmel Foundation and it was awful. I'm not sure if maybe my skin just wasn't the best that day or what, but the foundation looked blotchy and uneven, and that had never happened to me prior to using the Stay Matte primer. So, the next day I used the primer with the Fit Me foundation and it worked really well! My nose and cheeks still got oily, but it wasn't nearly as bad as when I have used other products. When I used the Fit Me with this primer my skin looked smoother and more matte than usual, which I really liked. It made my skin look like porcelain. I haven't tried the primer with any of my other foundations because I really like the matte look that these two give me, so I can't speak on how well it works with other products. Also, when I went in to purchase this primer someone had mentioned that it left a white residue? I haven't had any problems with that, but it could just be the texture and tone of my skin.

Overall, this product wasn't bad for what I paid for it, but it's not the best either. If you have slightly oily skin it would probably work better, or even if you have super oily skin maybe it would work for you, but it wasn't the ABSOLUTE BEST primer I've ever used for my oily skin. I hope this helps!
Olivia B.
I have tried so hard to find a primer that actually works for my skin. I have very oily skin and literally every primer I have ever used until this one has not made my makeup apply/look any differently than without it. I read all the reviews saying how great this product was and it was so much cheaper than the other primers I've tried, so I decided to buy it and I'm so glad I did. Although, it has not completely prevented my skin from getting oily throughout the day, I have noticed a huge difference in my skin. My face doesn't get nearly as oily as it used to and it also takes longer for it to start getting oily. I am really impressed with the quality of this product and the cheap price too! I took off one star just because it did not completely rid me of oil, but it did work really well!
Ashley W.
I have been using this primer for about a month and a half now so I feel like I can give a pretty good accurate review and honestly it's not totally my fave. It does help my makeup last longer then it normally does but that is all it pretty much did for me. I still found myself reaching for blotting sheet after a few hours, I did have to use a pore minimizing primer on top of this primer for my pores, and it was more like a thick moisturizer then a primer. I am parcel the the silicon based primers but this primer really only extended the wear of my makeup and nothing else. It does really last and a little product goes a long way so I intend to finish it but I probably won't repurchase this primer again.
Reni C.
Encino, CA
This has got to be my holy grail matte primer. The best part is, you can get it at Target for $6.99 and any local drugstore (drugstore prices vary). I use this to prime my face before I apply makeup on warmer days, such as during the summer season. I do not have oily skin but summer gets the oil out of us, regardless of skin type. This mattifies my face and keeps my makeup in place when the evil hot sun tries to ruin it. It has a thick consistency and it dries fast when applied on the face. A little goes a long way for this primer, so do not apply too much otherwise, your makeup will apply blotchy. I have been using this since 2014. Great product for your buck.
Deanna M.
This primer is very light-weight and feels like a moisturizer to me, which I enjoy. Not a big fan of silicone primers so I'm happy this wasn't one. The squeeze tube helps get the perfect amount of product and blends nicely on your skin. Because it is summer, I've been putting this mainly in my t-zone and using a different primer for the rest of my face. Unfortunately, this primer doesn't wow me. I find I get just as oily with this primer as I do without. I may need to repurchase because my bottle is somewhat old. I think it's great for beginners in makeup though.
Adrien M.
Arlington, TX
I bought this kinda on a whim because I was running out of my previous primer and I needed one for that evening. I saw this while I was in target and decided to try it out. I have combination oily skin so any kind of mattifying primer/powder/spray I'm interested in! It was very affordable ($6) and for the price point works pretty well! This primer kept me pretty matte through about 6-7 hours of wear. I started to get oily towards the end of the day around my nose but that's not anything unusual and for a drugstore primer it lasted very well. Check it out!
Megan L.
Marbury, MD
I have oily skin, and it gets 10 times worse in the summer time because I am always sweating! So I have been on the hunt for a mattifying primer for a long time that actually works. Well I found it. This primer is absolutely PERFECT. It kept my skin smooth and beautiful through an 8 hour work shift. My makeup stayed flawless all day. And some days I even wear it and just some mascara and it keeps my face from getting oily throughout the day. This could work for combination skin or dry skin as well. This is my favorite over any primer I have ever tried!
Osma H.
I have been using the Rimmel Stay Matte Primer for the past 3 years. This product is great at helping with oil control. It is very easy to apply, blends in seamless. I wear it alone on no make up days. I wear it under my foundation and so it works very well, no interruption with how my foundation blends.

It does not keep me completely matte, but it helps control the oily skin. I have a glow by end of a 10 hour work day but without the primer I would be a greasy mess.

This is a great primer for every day. I like this better than some high end primers.
Kat D.
This primer is a great, inexpensive primer, I think it functions as intended. I usually mix this in with my foundation and it keeps my makeup in place for hours and keeps me matte. I wouldn't say this would work through a full day outside in the heat but an average day at the office this will definitely handle with ease. My only reason for not giving this a full 5 stars is because the smell, it smells just like Elmer's glue! It does eventually fade away but I have to hold my breath when I'm applying this anywhere near my nose.
Desireé B.
BEST PRIMER EVER!!! Hand's down this is the best primer I have ever tried, I worked at Sephora and tried every high end mattifying primer on the market and this one works like nobody's business. I appy primer before work in the morning and with every other primer I have to blot by lunchtime, NOT WITH THIS ONE. I was good until the end of the day...By the way I have OILY SKIN especially in my T-Zone. I use this with with drug store foundations and high end luxury foundations as well...the result is always the same...AMAZING!
Maryah H.
, FL
Is this a good primer for oily combo skin?
Celine R.
Jessica G.
Bridget B.
Beauty Junkie Expert
I've never used a primer before. How helpful is it and what exactly does it do?
Sara S.