BY RIMMEL LONDON #77 in Face Primer

• Any one else have a problem with this primer making their...2 Answers
  • What do you think of this face Primer? Yay or Nay3 Answers
Svetlana M.
Edgewater, CO
Not my favorite primer, but it's an affordable drugstore option for those on a budget and have mildly oily skin. The packaging is pretty basic and the primer makes several promises on their label - 1) Controls shine for up to 8 hours 2) Minimizes appearance of pores 3) Hydrating feel

Firstly, let's discuss the shine control factor. My skin is combo and oily my nose tends to get very oily. Did this primer completely get rid of my shiny nose for 8 hours? Unfortunately not. It did keep my nose and the rest of my face matte for a solid 3-4 hours, but after that the oils started peaking out. Maybe 8 hours is a little optimistic, or just for people who don't have very oily skin. Secondly, the primer claims to minimize the appearance of pores. That it does well, but again only on areas of my face that aren't so oily. My nose, the oiliest part of my face, happens to have large pores as well and since this primer didn't control oils that well, the same was the case with minimizing pores. Thirdly, let's discuss the hydrating feel. The texture/consistency of the primer feels like a lotion and it leaves your skin feeling well moisturized, which is great because a lot of mattifying/oil control primers can dry out your skin. So this is one of the claims that is absolutely accurate, it does hydrate your face and makes your skin look smoother. For someone with oily skin, it's important for my primer to not only minimize shine but also hydrate, which is a lot to expect from a primer. It's definitely worth trying if you have combo skin like mine!
Nadia P.
I needed a drugstore primer to use for work because shelling out 30-40$ on primer gets expensive! I have combo skin with an oily t-zone so i was looking for something mattyfing for sure.. So after trying a few drugstore primers this is what I have been using for the last two months.

It helps control my oily-ness wonderfully! Not for like 8-10 hours but for about 4-6 hours after that i have to blot and powder but nothing too horrible. When I need longer lasting makeup I use in conjuction with another pore minimizing primer that does the trick.

I love the feel of it, it does feel hydrating for me, and even though it comes out doesn't make you look ghostly or anything of that sort. But honestly does nothing for my pores which is fine, I don't usually care at work anyway. I wish it would do more for my pores then this would be total holy grail status for me, hence the 4 stars.

I would so try this if you have combo skin like mine!
Heather D.
Newark
This was my go-to primer when I didn't have the means to shell out $30-40 for a truly good primer. It's good for what it is - a reasonably priced foundation primer.
Does it work wonders? no
Does it keep makeup applied & looking fresh for all day into the night? no
What is it does is help with keeping your foundation in place and lasting longer than if you applied it directly to your skin. Does your makeup last for 8 hours? Not mine, but everyone's skin is slightly different. I have a very oily forehead and tend to generate sweat on my face when it's warm or humid around me - which means unless I have an amazingly good primer on, my foundation just slides right off. With the Stay Matte, my makeup lasted longer than usual, but not forever.
Jay 💖.
I wish I could say that I loved this. And I mean,I guess I did. It was a thin silicone primer that filled my pores and mattified my makeup perfectly. I was in love. But...
This primer broke me out. I stupidly tried it 8 separate times,blaming the breakouts on hormones,sickness,a new shampoo. Anything. But I finally realized that I'm allergic to this. My skin doesn't like it,even though I loved how it made me look. I give it a 3/10 for that reason. It would have been a 9/10 had it not given me painful breakouts. But I would recommend if you don't have picky,sensitive skin.
Alyssa V.
Pawtucket, RI
I purchased this after a quick google search for drugstore primer dupes when I did not have time to make it to Sephora. I have combination skin and the reviews with my skin type kept comparing this to MUFE Skin Equalizer Primer and MAC Studio Fix Primer.

First off the ingredients in this primer are TERRIBLE...talc, PEG’s, aluminum starch, magnesium sulfate, etc. This smells like glue, all of my products started to separate while blending, did not blur my minimal pores, did not even out my complexion, and for the first time my powders (Laura mecier, hourglass, and MUFE) flakes and I ended up taking my makeup off after 2 hours and redid my face with no primer which looked better than with this junk.
Stacie M.
mechanicsville
I really, really like this primer. I have combo skin and I can get pretty oily in my t zone. This does a great job of keeping the oil from coming through my foundation and breaking it apart, even when I use foundations that are for dryer skin, like the Maybelline fit me dewy and smooth, which probably really shouldn't be used on more oily skin types. With this primer I can get away with it because I love the finish of this foundation.. To be honest, I've not tried a ton of different primers, but I really like this one the best of all the ones that I have tried. I'm almost out, and I'll definitely repurchase it.
Jay R.
A very good primer for a small price. Doesn't have a smell and even though it comes out white it doesn't leave a cast. Feels like I'm putting on lotion because it's so easy and smooth to apply. Only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is because it seems to crumble or become more flakey around the dry parts of my face, so if you have more dry skin be warned this may not be the primer for you. Or if you are oily combo skin be careful not to use in your dry patches.
Jessica H.
It's not the worst primer, but it definitely isn't the best.

It works well to help fill in my large pores and keeps my skin from looking oily, but I have a couple of foundations that it just doesn't work well with. I can't use my usual foundation with it or about half way through the day it starts coming off. If I wipe my face or anything my foundation crumbles and rolls up in to little balls. It's the strangest thing but it only happens with this primer.

I do like to use it alone to mattify my skin, or with a light coverage foundation.
Emily S.
I'm not a fan of this primer from my first impression. I feel like this makes my makeup immediately slide off my face and look increasingly shiny - which is the opposite of what it is called to do. My major problem with is it that is causes my foundation to pill. It separates, leaving it patchy spots and a terrible texture. I understand that this is probably caused by a conflict in the ingredients..it's manageable, but I have to be very careful when applying my foundation. I had hoped better for paying $7 for this.
Haley T.
San Ramon, CA
This is an amazing, basic, matte primer for oily skin types! I even tested it out on half of my face, and this primer noticeably reduced shine! It's super cheap, but does the job! I would recommend this for oily skin types if you want your makeup to last throughout the day, since silicone primers can cause makeup to slip on your face, even though your skin feels super smooth. This primer keeps me matte throughout the day, and has a tacky finish so that my foundation can stick onto my skin better.
Maryah H.
, FL
Is this a good primer for oily combo skin?
Celine R.
Jessica G.
Bridget B.
I've never used a primer before. How helpful is it and what exactly does it do?
Sara S.