Reprise Green Day - American Idiot (Parental Advisory) uploaded by Margarita G.

BY REPRISE #80 in Music

Green Day: Mike Dirnt (bass instrument); Tre Cool, Billie Joe Armstrong. Personnel: Billie Joe, Billie Joe Armstrong (vocals, guitar); Tre Cool (vocals, drums); Kathleen Hanna, Mike Dirnt (vocals); Jason Freese (saxophone); Rob Cavallo (piano).Audio Mixer: Chris Lord-Alge. Recording information: 880 Studios, Oakland, CA; Capitol Studios, Hollywood, CA; Ocean Way Recording, Hollywood, CA. Photographers: Chris Bilheimer; Marina Chavez. Rock opera and punk are usually two mutually exclusive musical styles. Then again, Green Day has never followed any rock rulebook, so it's not entirely surprising that the trio crafted a punk-rock opera that takes the Bush administration and its policies to task. It doesn't get any more pointed than a couplet from the frenetic title cut that states, "I'm not a part of a redneck agenda/Now everybody do the propaganda!"Under the guidance of any other group of agitated punks, the results of such an undertaking could easily become didactic. But with creative spearhead Billie Joe Armstrong at the helm, AMERICAN IDIOT is melodically driven, with the kind of intellectual bent that allows for a pair of mini-operas, "Jesus of Suburbia" and "Homecoming." Trimmed with a light sprinkling of piano and a big guitar sound occasionally reminiscent of Mott the Hoople, the former skewers the hypocrisy that can pervade small-town life. The latter is equally effective, as clever time changes and sonic flourishes (glockenspiel, doo-wop harmonies, honking saxophone) serve as an intriguing counterpoint to the band's hook-laced riffs. see more...

Laura M.
Louisville, KY
Pop Culture Expert Level 1
This was the album back in the day when i was in highschool. Everyone was about Green Day. This album is great. It gets you rocking that head back and forth. Truly makes you feel like a punk rocker for sure. I highly recommend.
Elle B.
Pop Culture Expert Level 1
Around the time this came out, I was a big fan of theirs. A lot of their sins have a lot if meaning behind them and the music videos are well thought out. I always enjoying the new music thsy comes fron this band. This album was really good, I loved listening to every single song on it.
Amanda J.
Pop Culture Expert Level 2
I loved American Idiot! So many great songs, awesome lyrics... really great music! This is a good album to jam out to in the car! I’ve always been a huge fan of Green Day!
Berlynn Y.
Denison, TX
Pop Culture Expert Level 1
This album is the Green Day that I first knew and loved. I've since acquired almost their entire discography collection, both prior to and after this one, and they continue to hold a place in my little punk rock heart. They're a band unafraid of singing about the truth in what's going on in the world and they are staunchly for human rights. I had the joy of seeing them live and the entire show...which was a long one...was so high energy and inclusive. They were genuinely proud of their fans and humbled by how much we all adored them. The music is upbeat and happy yet soulful and thought-provoking. They cater to a specific group while also pleasing a ton of music lovers with their range. I can't express in one simple review how much this band has impacted my life.
Hope S.
Cedar, MN
Pop Culture Expert Level 1
Green Day is my all time favorite band. I first feel in love with them in 1999 at the age of 12 and my love for them and their music has been going strong ever since. This was Green Day's 7th studio, it was also unlike all their albums released before. The genre of this album was dubbed a rock opera. Being released in 2004, The theme of this album is intensely inspired by the political events going on in America during that time well under the presidency of George W Bush. Because of this political theme some may not like the album, but others like myself greatly appreciate the realism and brutal honesty of it. I also felt the album was extremely relatable.

The album is jampacked with a range of songs from slow to fast, from sad to happy, and from dreams and reality. I do consider this a must listen for those who have not given it a shot.
Faith B.
There is no better representation of 2005 than this CD. These tracks were EVERYWHERE, dominating every media from TV to radio to movies and now Broadway! Green Day is political and strong, yet resonating with its audience.
Bridgett B.
Deep Run , NC
Pop Culture Expert Level 1
Loved American Idiot! I've listen to Green Day since I was 12 years old. It's rare that I don't like a song. So saying that I loved everyone of them. Billie Joe's voice soothes my soul.
Alex K.
Westerville, OH
This album is what got me interested in music. I will play this for my children and for my grandchildren. It's a timeless album that reflects the political and social chaos during a very tense time in our nation's history.

This album took Green Day from being a good band to one of the greatest of all time.

Everyone must listen to American Idiot at least once in their lifetime!
MaryCaroline G.
Charlotte, NC
Pop Culture Expert Level 5
I didn't particularly like this album. As far as Greenday, this is not one of my absolute favorites. However I still like the group as a whole, so overall the album wasn't bad. It was alright to listen to, and wouldn't NOT recommend, just not one of their best.
Brooklyn B.
Pop Culture Expert Level 2
I don't think people understand how much I love Green Day. This album is amazing, they are amazing. People need to take time and actually listen to them. They truly love music and what they do. It's just perfect idek any other way to explain it.
Alexandria C.
Waterbury, CT
Pop Culture Expert Level 3
Favorite song on this album?
Alessandra LEAR31948 B.
what are your thouhgts about this album guys??