Red Queen by Victoria Avenard

by Victoria Avenard

Victoria Aveyard’s internationally beloved #1 New York Times bestseller is now in paperback!

Mare Barrow’s world is divided by blood—those with common, Red blood serve the Silver-blooded elite, who are gifted with superhuman abilities. Mare is a Red, scraping by as a thief in a poor, rural village, until a twist of fate throws her in front of the Silver court. There, before the king, princes, and all the nobles, she discovers she has an ability of her own.

To cover up this impossibility, the king forces her to play the role of a lost Silver princess, and betroths her to one of his own sons. As Mare is drawn further into the Silver world, she risks everything and uses her new position to help the Scarlet Guard—a growing Red rebellion—even as her heart tugs her in an impossible direction. One wrong move can lead to her death, but in the dangerous game she plays the only certainty is betrayal.

This sweeping story of palace intrigue, class hierarchy, and deception will keep readers hurtling along, desperate to find out Mare’s fate. Her honesty and determination, quick wit, and no-holds-barred attitude will surely make readers fall in love with her.

should I read this book? why?
Should I read this? I've never heard of it, but it looks really good. Looking for new book recommendations. Leave any recommendations below, I prefer Fictional books.
Do you recommend this book to be a Christmas present?
Start your review of Red Queen by Victoria Avenard!
Josie W.
Atlanta
Red Queen by Victoria Avenard uploaded by Josie W.
This book is absolutely captivating. From start to finish it had me questioning what was going to happen next. I would strongly suggest this book to anyone. Mare is that strong female character that just makes you want more.
Katerina P.
Philadelphia, PA
Bookworm Expert Level 1
By the time this book came out and I read it I was so over YA distopian novels. Are there even real authors behind the anymore or is it just bots turning out stories that fit some algorithm they researched.
Marinda D.
Prairieville, LA
Thoroughly enjoyed this book! Read it sometime last year and was excited to read the second book in the series when it came out as well. The main girl in the story isn't my all time favorite (she's just annoying at times, honestly), but as far as stories go, this is up there in my favorites. Some of the characters could use some work and the ones that I do happen to like we don't really see that much of. The world building is slow and grinds to a halt as well, so that's another thing that kind of annoys me. I can say that it does get better (the second book is definitely better than the first!), so it is something worth powering through if it gets a little rough and you find yourself not enjoying it.
Shelby R.
Means, KY
This book should be turned into a movie. I loved the book but it would be so cool to see it in a movie to get the full effect. I loved the writing style in this book and everything flowed so nicely. The story line was so amazing. Mare a girl that is completely reckless and fearless, finds herself acquiring a job for the king. She gets to was the queenstrial while being a waitress for the guests. She finds herself into trouble when she gets pushed into the electric barrier and finds out she has powers like the silvers. The plot twist got me. I never saw it coming! I couldn’t put it down after that. I appreciate the author not turning the book into a love story even though there was a love triangle. It would have been another hunger games if she did. Which it still reminded me of hunger games a little. I was picking sides the whole time. Team Cal or team Maven. The only part I didn’t like about this book and why I gave it 4 stars is because I still don’t know a whole lot yet. You never find out details of why she is the way she is. Just that mare is different. You never get any stories on cal or maven. How the plot twist was planned. It’s just a little underdeveloped in that sense. Hopefully I will find out more in the next book!
Kayleigh L.
Yonkers, NY
Red Queen by Victoria Avenard uploaded by Kayleigh L.
This series is Amazing. It is a YA distopian future novel with a female protagonist. but it completely subverts expectations. I met the author (Victoria Aveyard) in 2016 at SDCC. She was lovely and great. I am very excited for this to vecome a movie!
Samantha T.
Mayville, MI
I loved this book. It was amazing. I I'm reading the Glass sword right now and so far it's really good and I can't wait to read Kings cage when it comes out. I love this author, I want to find more books by her.
Kimberly M.
Muskegon, MI
The Red Queen series was a gripping, memorable series that touched on the concepts of class inequalities. discrimination. and rebellion. It kept me engrossed through the entire series, and there were very few slow moments. I would highly recommend this book to any fans of YA fantasy.
Megan N.
Huntington, WV
This is m favorite book series of all times. I even have a tattoo of this book lol! I’ve been reading it since it came out, from the second I opened it it just drew me in and kept me glued to this book. It was so exciting and had so many plot twists. Victoria aveyard is an excellent writer.
Kimberly A.
So I’m hooked on this series! I find the fantasy plot fascinating and Aveyard does a great job of grabbing the reader: what happens with reds versus silvers? I’m on book 3 now and while Mare is not my favorite character, I am vested in seeing her vision through. If you love a good YA series read I recommend starting this one.
Lane M.
Meridian, MS
Bookworm Expert Level 2
This is one of my new favorite book series. I am on book 3 and I wish there were 100 books. I love the concept so much
Ask a question to the Influenster community...