BY RECREATIONAL EQUIPMENT

Recreational Equipment Inc
  • "We send HUNDREDS of people to REI every year for good reason -- no one beats REI's pack fitters, no one beats REI's customer service, and no one beats REI's product quality." in 18 reviews
  • "But they do have a good sales schedule and I've heard awesome things about their return policy (never needed to test it out myself!" in 14 reviews
  • "Great store if you know what you're looking for and they specialize in it (mainly outdoor activities like hiking, mountain biking, kayaking)." in 12 reviews
  • "We've also found that they have a great selection for making BOB's or emergency packs for those just in case moments. " in 9 reviews
  • "Their shoe selection for running is a bit on the scarce side- so I suggest a specialty running shoe store for those, otherwise- REI is the place to go for outdoor gear/wear." in 7 reviews
Tabitha A.
Puyallup, WA
I just was introduced to REI 2 years ago. I love that I went in there with little knowledge about the store, and the employees all had knowledge about the products, and advice to me in what would be working best for MY situation. The customers come first and I think that is something that is a BIG plus in my book!
Also you don't have to be SUPER athletic, or outdoorsy to shop there they have something for EVERY level of your outdoor lifestyle! Even if you are only outdoors from a hotel room :) they have stuff for you too!
Amy S.
Estacada, OR
I grew up going to REI with my mom, and I remember thinking that it was such a cool store. Now I'm the mom taking my own kids to REI and they now think it's a cool store too. So what makes it so great? They have knowledgeable employees who are well versed in first hand knowledge of the products. Second, they have great customer service across the board. They are truly caring about your circumstances and how ithey can best help you as the customer. Lastly, if you're a member, you get an awesome little bonus every year.
Amanda H.
Lexington, KY
The old saying "you get what you pay for," stuck for a reason, and REI is proof of that. Yes, they are pricey--very pricey even, but these people are experts in outdoor recreation, so they only stock products that are the best quality. I have bought everything from clothing to hiking boots to gear. I am considering a kayak soon too. Another plus was my experience with customer service. They know their stuff! When I was just starting out, I needed advice about the best type of clothing for certain outdoors conditions, and they took me straight to several options and discussed pros and cons with me. Awesome.
Tracy S.
Brian Head, UT
I have been shopping at REI for at least 18 years. The prices may be a little high, but their stuff is not poorly made crap, it's all high quality. I would recommend getting the lifetime membership, then you get a dividend back at the end of the year, depending on how much you spend. They also have wonderful customer service. If your items don't work out or have any problems they take them back at any time. I even saw a guy returning what looked like used hiking socks, really used. It was not a problem for REI. You do need to look for their sales though, that's where you will find killer deals.
Kimberly S.
Winston, OR
I love our REI. Yes they are a bit expensive on some things however they carry products that no other Sportsmens warehouse or sports been caring product companies will ever have. I love the rewards programs because at the end of the year I get a nice check to go spend on anything that I want. People that work there are knowledgeable helpful and I love the fact that I can go in there and ask questions about stuff that I'm wanting to learn about knowledgeable staff highly recommend.
Annemarie B.
Colorado Spgs, CO
They have all the gadgets you never knew were ever made for most outdoor sports and camping. They are a bit pricey. They even have classes and groups for beginners to meet and get involved in outdoor sports you have wanted to try. Also their staff is great. I have been to many a REI and when ever i have a question the staff is happy to help and have never talked down to me for not knowing something
Trish M.
Medford, NJ
This is for the rei by me. not all over the country. their stuff is great, cool, and well priced (when found on sale). i went to pick up an item from an online order, the lady behind the counter took forever. another girl who worked there was infront of the counter and my daughter was walking back and forth inbetween the black rope markers. the girl puts her elbos on the counter, kicks her feet up for no reason, because she was bored who knows, and kicks my daugheter in the face. doesn't say anything, tries to blame my daughter who had been doing the same thing for 5 minutes, and the lady behind the counter didn't even ask if she was ok as shes sitting screaming. i will never go in to that store again, and will pay for delievery to my home. the whole purpse of having people work for a company is CUSTOMER SERVICE not ignorance.
Alex M.
Tampa, FL
I wish I could find my way to REI more often. Sadly, the only one near me is about 5 hours north. However, I absolutely love this store. Yes, it's very expensive, and yes, you can find it cheaper online, but for a hiking enthusiast on a spontaneous trip it's like walking into heaven. It has everything you need to grab before going out, whether it's a day trip, a week trip, or a whole trip up the Appalachians. I was very impressed by the small stuff they had that many people forget to pack. Food, first aid supplies, mole skin, etc. I am also very impressed with their rental program which I will definitely need to check out one day. I know they have no need to move to my area where mountains are basically non existent, but I would buy most of my supplies there if it was closer, because I do love it.
Christine V.
Raleigh, NC
My husband and I have purchased most of our outdoor gear from REI stores across the country. We love how stores in different parts of the country specialize in carrying different gear based on the geography and climate. The staff is super knowledgeable and friendly and always accessible on the sales floor when you need help, unlike some other sporting good stores. My only complaint is that their return policy has changed, so if you haven't shopped their in a while, be sure to as a sales associate.
Jennifer B.
South Holland, IL
REI is awesome. They have a fantastic selection of pretty much any outdoor activity gear out there and knowledgable workers to boot. Their 'garage sales' for used products are full of unbelievable deals. Additionally, some locations offer community programs for various volunteer opportunities and activities.
I like REI especially because of their members program. You can land some extra coupons with it, it's a one time $20 fee to join for life, you get lifetime guarantees, and you get a dividend back at the end of each spending year. They take good care of you.
Delmy O.
New Orleans, LA
What's your favorite section in the store?
Laurie T.
Seattle, WA
How many times do you go check out the REI store?
Robyn W.
Are you a member?
Sybil Y.
Oakland, CA
Do you use the climbing walls in your local REI?
Jacquelyn C.
Is the membership fee an annual fee? Is it a waste of money or is it really a good deal?