Rebound By Sagebrush Child Called "It": One Child's Courage to Survive

by Rebound By Sagebrush

This book chronicles the unforgettable account of one of the most severe child abuse cases in California history. It is the story of Dave Pelzer, who was brutally beaten and starved by his emotionally unstable, alcoholic mother: a mother who played tortuous, unpredictable games-games that left him nearly dead. He had to learn how to play his mother's games in order to survive because she no longer considered him a son, but a slave; and no longer a boy, but an "it."Dave's bed was an old army cot in the basement, and his clothes were torn and raunchy. When his mother allowed him the luxury of food, it was nothing more than spoiled scraps that even the dogs refused to eat. The outside world knew nothing of his living nightmare. He had nothing or no one to turn to, but his dreams kept him alive-dreams of someone taking care of him, loving him and calling him their son.

Such an amazing sad book.. I really love reading books like this even though awful thing go on in them. What other books are similar?
I've been debating reading this for a while now, just haven't made myself do it.
Has anyone ever heard the brothers side of the story?
Start your review of Rebound By Sagebrush Child Called "It": One Child's Courage to Survive!
How would you rate this product?
Menlo Park, CA
This book, and the author, is incredible. It is NOT just words on the page: Pelzer finds such wonderful and surprising ways to interact with the reader. Absolute must read.
Middlesex, NJ
When I first read this book, I was heartbroken. It's about a little boy who suffers through horrible abuse by his mother. The whole book is pretty much how she tortures him and how he still manages to survive. I'm giving this book two stars because I later found out that most of it is fake. The whole story is questionable and Dave did a lot of sneaky things to get his book to be number one. Read if you want a sad story, not the truth.
Saginaw, MI
I read this book in middle school and it was an incredible read. I was truly moved to tears page by page. The poor boy. Still cannot believe it’s based on a true story.
Bookworm Expert Level 1
I read this my freshman year and OH MY GOD. I was heartbroken, disgusted, upset, but I couldn't put the book down.  I remember only Little things about this book but I do remember the pain I felt while reading that. I kept questioning it like "how could anyone treat their child in such a horrible manner?" I even watched the interview he did on Oprah it's just insane. I am expecting a little boy in November and I would never in my life do such things to a child like his mother did to him. I highly recommend this book so people are aware of how bad child abuse was and if this doesn't hurt you even a little then something is wrong.
Tomball, TX
Such a heartbreaking story! When I was in high school, I noticed my mother reading this book and became really curious due to the title. So, I decided to read it myself. The book is well-written and is very detailed. It really hearts my heart to know it is true and a child actually went thru the terrible things this book describes. I would recommend this book to anyone wanting to enter into a social work or child care field.
Jackson, KY
I read this book for the first time in the 4th grade and I couldn't put it down until I was finished. I have always been drawn to this type of writing. Personal experience, negativity, bad home life, abuse, anything bad really. And this book took the cake. I loved reading about Dave's childhood and his memories, and at the same time I felt horrible for that little boy going through all that he did. But definitely a great book, a must read for all
Las Vegas
1,019 reviews
This heartbreaking story follows the childhood of David Melton and the horrific abuse he suffered as a a child. While it had to be hard to relive everything, he really pulled you into his life and story. You really wanted to just rescue him and wrap him in love. I highly recommend this book and box of Kleenex. You will bawl your eyes out.
Rosamond, CA
When I was reading this book back at school man it hit me hard. It was really sad and tough to read through. He went through so much pain. Even when I finished this book I found the second part to it called "The Lost Boy" it's about his journey after he was taken from the mother and put into foster homes. Good read.
Freehold , NJ
This book is profound. Words cannot describe how moving, heartbreaking, powerful, and unbelievable this book is. The author truly does a fantastic job at delivering the story. I feel that everyone should read this book, understand the horrific background of some children. It will develop a sense of empathy for many people.
Lansing, MI
A very good book. Keeps you wanting to read more. If this book doesn't make you cry I don't know what will. I heard that he fabricated some of the story? I don't know if that is true but I hope not. This book really sticks with you because of the intensity of it but it is 100% a MUST read.