Rebound By Sagebrush Child Called "It": One Child's Courage to Survive

by Rebound By Sagebrush

This book chronicles the unforgettable account of one of the most severe child abuse cases in California history. It is the story of Dave Pelzer, who was brutally beaten and starved by his emotionally unstable, alcoholic mother: a mother who played tortuous, unpredictable games-games that left him nearly dead. He had to learn how to play his mother's games in order to survive because she no longer considered him a son, but a slave; and no longer a boy, but an "it."Dave's bed was an old army cot in the basement, and his clothes were torn and raunchy. When his mother allowed him the luxury of food, it was nothing more than spoiled scraps that even the dogs refused to eat. The outside world knew nothing of his living nightmare. He had nothing or no one to turn to, but his dreams kept him alive-dreams of someone taking care of him, loving him and calling him their son.

Such an amazing sad book.. I really love reading books like this even though awful thing go on in them. What other books are similar?
I've been debating reading this for a while now, just haven't made myself do it.
Has anyone ever heard the brothers side of the story?
Start your review of Rebound By Sagebrush Child Called "It": One Child's Courage to Survive!
How would you rate this product?
Paramount, CA
This book let me speechless. Literally I had tears reading it. I was in high school when I read it and I just couldn't believe what I was reading! I wanted to read ahead and hoping it had a happy ending. It's a definite must read. Grab your tissue.
Trumbull, CT
Bookworm Expert Level 1
It’s a real story and heart breaking. The author is the child in the book who lived in a abusive household. Your heart will be broken and you will shed tears. But it’s real and showed me how rough and traumatic some children’s lives can be.
Milwaukee, WI
This book is extremely heartbreaking yet inspiring. It's about a boy who was physically abused by his mother. He was incredibly brave. I recommend you real all of his books and learn about his overwhelming strength.
This non-fiction literature is intense and extremely heartbreaking. I don't want to give it away too much, but it's about a gentleman that was terribly abused by his mother while growing up. It claims to be one of the most severe child abuse cases in California ever... Highly recommend adding to your reading list!
grants pass, OR
Bookworm Expert Level 1
Wow! What a hard book to read and hard to believe. I did not live very far the author and it is so freaky to know the horror he was experiencing. This was one of the first memoirs I ever read.
Bakersfield
This is such a sad and heartbreaking story. I read this book when I was younger and I also recently read it again. I almost cried while reading it. I definitely recommend reading this book. If I could rate this book 10/5 stars I would. I also recommend reading the second book called The Lost Boy.
Enfield, CT
This book was very eye-opening. People hear about things like child abuse often, but a lot of times they don't really understand how common it is or how bad it can get until they hear first-hand accounts. This is a book I think almost every American should read, it's very moving.
Orlando, FL
Bookworm Expert Level 1
These books got me through my depression. It made me realize other people have it much worse then I did. This is a true story about one of the worst cases of child abuse. Very heartbreaking what he went through
Hopatcong, NJ
1,274 reviews
This was such a sad and depressing book. I read it in 7th grade; I was probably too young to read such terrible things. Although, I was a mature 7th grader. It was rough to read through such awful abuse.
This book killed me inside. It is a terrifying sad story. I think I cried the entire book. It definitely worth the read because it's written well but I will never get myself to read this again.