Arts & CraftsMediaBooksRebound By Sagebrush
Child Called "It": One Child's Courage to Survive

Rebound By Sagebrush Child Called "It": One Child's Courage to Survive

by Rebound By Sagebrush

This book chronicles the unforgettable account of one of the most severe child abuse cases in California history. It is the story of Dave Pelzer, who was brutally beaten and starved by his emotionally unstable, alcoholic mother: a mother who played tortuous, unpredictable games-games that left him nearly dead. He had to learn how to play his mother's games in order to survive because she no longer considered him a son, but a slave; and no longer a boy, but an "it."Dave's bed was an old army cot in the basement, and his clothes were torn and raunchy. When his mother allowed him the luxury of food, it was nothing more than spoiled scraps that even the dogs refused to eat. The outside world knew nothing of his living nightmare. He had nothing or no one to turn to, but his dreams kept him alive-dreams of someone taking care of him, loving him and calling him their son.

Such an amazing sad book.. I really love reading books like this even though awful thing go on in them. What other books are similar?
I've been debating reading this for a while now, just haven't made myself do it.
Has anyone ever heard the brothers side of the story?
Start your review of Rebound By Sagebrush Child Called "It": One Child's Courage to Survive!
How would you rate this product?
Alma G.
San Diego, CA
This book deserves more recognitions than anything else I read this series when I was in middle school. I could relate so much and touched me so much. But also helped me appreciate life. This great book will turn into a movie and I can't wait to see it spring into awareness of child abuse and neglect!
Judy  D.
W Lafayette, IN
Its a very sad book... this is a really good book if ur a foster mom to read to the kids... Dave is my favorite... I wouldn't change the book .. I read this to my nephew who I fostered for 5 years and it showed him he didn't have to be a victim...he ended up doing a ar goal on it...
Veronica C.
Las Vegas, NV
The first time I read this I was in high school....and I absolutely love this book. It’s a very sad and true story and it makes you think about how many children live through this. This book is the reason I got into reading. If you haven’t read it I highly recommend it. Great book!
Suzanne J.
Forest City, NC
I read this book in the sixth grade and it was so upsetting. I think the author did a great job at the writing. The story is sad, but the writing is great!
Beatriz L.
Milwaukee, WI
This book is extremely heartbreaking yet inspiring. It's about a boy who was physically abused by his mother. He was incredibly brave. I recommend you real all of his books and learn about his overwhelming strength.
Hollie  B.
Lansing, KS
Bookworm Expert Level 1
enjoy. My goodness, I read this book and there were so many emotions I didn't know what to do. This is definitely an adult book and not for children. I was mad, sad, crying , it even made me sick to my stomach. Warning to others before they read this book,it is a very tragic and emotional book that is not for everyone.
Dina M.
Bookworm Expert Level 1
I don't know how to star books like this because you don't want to give good reviews for so much pain. This poor boy and so many others who don't have books about them are tortured and while we read about them, not much changes. I'm glad this book shines a light on horrible people but the people who should look out for these poor kids let too many slip away or suffer.
Laura W.
Grants Pass, OR
Bookworm Expert Level 2
Wow! What a hard book to read and hard to believe. I did not live very far the author and it is so freaky to know the horror he was experiencing. This was one of the first memoirs I ever read.
Jamie C.
Shippensburg, PA
Bring the tissues as you read through this brave story of  a young boy that was severely abused by his mother. I will warn you it hits you in the gut as you realize how some children are fighting just to keep alive. Mental health issues, breaking through to see a new day and it all told in this inspirational based on real life story. Heartbreak and inspiration from beginning till end.
Jamie V.
Las Vegas
1,019 reviews
This heartbreaking story follows the childhood of David Melton and the horrific abuse he suffered as a a child. While it had to be hard to relive everything, he really pulled you into his life and story. You really wanted to just rescue him and wrap him in love. I highly recommend this book and box of Kleenex. You will bawl your eyes out.