by Rate My Professors
Ask a Question
Influenster M.

Have you ever had an experience where the site said one thing and the professor turned out to be another way?
Shannon D.
Shannon D.
June 17, 2014, 11:06 a.m.
Yes, and i ended up writing that teacher a great review so others knew she must have changed her ways over the years
Cindy S.
Cindy S.
April 21, 2014, 9:51 p.m.
Yes! I read bad reviews on one professor, so I was hesitant to attend her class. I am so glad I didn't drop because she ended up being my favorite professor of my undergraduate courses.
Hana C.
Hana C.
April 5, 2014, 12:06 a.m.
Lol it said one of my professors was supposed to be hot (the chili pepper was on fire!) but he turned out to be average looking. Haha, as for the reviews on the professor, for the most part they turned out to be true. It's hard to tell with some that get plenty of good and bad reviews though.
Michelle P.
Michelle P.
Nov. 30, 2013, 12:30 a.m.
At times yes because it depends on the person and how they felt towards the teacher at the time. the bad or good review could have depended on the grade they got also.
Brianna J.
Brianna J.
Nov. 22, 2013, 12:21 p.m.
Not really - Maybe not as extreme as the website said but there were enough reviews on each professor that I was able to mash them together and get the happy medium of everyones opinions. The worst was just when the professor wasn't on there at all.
Kasmier N.
Kasmier N.
Sept. 1, 2013, 6:07 p.m.
I certainly have everyone has their own opinion I had one Professor that almost everyone on the site said was rude and hostile but I found him pleasant and direct.
Kaitlyn H.
Kaitlyn H.
July 21, 2013, 7:26 a.m.
Absolutely. I think sometimes people slack off and get mad when they fail so they leave a bad review. And the opposite- teacher's pets who have an unusually good experience with a bad professor. I try to read all the reviews to get the whole picture.
Chelsey P.
Chelsey P.
May 30, 2013, 3:07 p.m.
Yes! You have to take the reviews with a grain of salt. Some students give poor reviews because they got a poor grade or didn't get a long with the the teacher. But that doesn't mean that everyone will get a poor grade or not get along with the professor. That being said sometimes there are Professors that have bad reviews for a reason. I guess read all of the reviews and take the general consensus.
Abbie H.
Abbie H.
March 19, 2013, 11:43 a.m.
Yes i have! it was quite a disappointment but I feel like looks should always be the last reason to pick your professor! make sure you read all the reviews to help you get the very best opinion overall
Katelyn I.
Katelyn I.
Jan. 2, 2013, 4:18 p.m.
Yes I have. One of my professors put it perfectly: The only students who actually write reviews either loved the professor or hated them. That's why you'll either see professors with really high reviews or really low ones. It's a good place to start when looking at professors, but you can't bank everything on those reviews.
Kaitlyn C.
Kaitlyn C.
Dec. 21, 2012, 4:25 p.m.
Yes absolutely! I feel like the reviews are very opinionated. You either LOVE or HATE the professor which is why you are writing a review in the first place.
Kay K.
Kay K.
Dec. 16, 2012, 3:23 p.m.
Yes, I think the reviews are usually skewed. If you are a good student and do well in the class, you will typically think the teacher was good. Whereas if you do not study and do not do well, you generally blame the teachers and write negative reviews.
Brandi F.
Brandi F.
Nov. 25, 2012, 7:24 a.m.
Absolutely. Some of the reviews are pretty harsh, and mostly by people who received a FAIR bad grade due to their own poor performance and so they bash the professor online.
Cynthia J.
Cynthia J.
Nov. 24, 2012, 8:49 a.m.
It happens because we all perceive and interact with people differently. On the site it said that this one Psychology professor was awesome and engaging. But when I attended that class she was nothing like it was described. Her notes were copied word by word from textbook. I would read the text as she was giving us the notes people would just laugh- it was sad. Harsh grader too.
Nov. 24, 2012, 1:41 a.m.
Yes, but most of the time the site is accurate. There was one occassion where the site rated a professor terribly and I took the class anyway and I ended up loving his class and getting an A. Some people are just slackers and blame the professor and some professors are really awful.
Alicia K.
Alicia K.
Nov. 23, 2012, 7:04 p.m.
You need to look at the average. But you also need to think, this student had to log in and write all that up. That is a lot of work for someone who just wanted to lie about the professor. I have written only about the best the worst teachers on that site. It is helpful and I think pretty accurate to the way things are.
Grayson M.
Grayson M.
Nov. 23, 2012, 6:26 a.m.
The way to do this site is to go to rate my professor, then ask upper classmen that have had the same professor. With those both together, you can really get a good gauge on those professors. However the site is pretty biased with some of the professors.
Nadia B.
Nadia B.
Nov. 22, 2012, 4:16 p.m.
I've read reviews on professors that I have had before and noticed some that were not completely accurate. Of the reviews that were not on point, most were by students who seemed bitter about the grade that they had received or by students who came across as pompous, like everything was a breeze to them. In general, the reviews are insightful.
Mallisa L.
Mallisa L.
Nov. 19, 2012, 4:06 p.m.
If you're reading reviews from further in the past, then that can happen because professors change every semester.
Lisa Marie A.
Lisa Marie A.
Nov. 19, 2012, 6:54 a.m.
I feel like most people who actually review their professors on this site either really like them or really do not like them, so you never get a middle ground. I have definitely had professors that were supposed to be "super horrible" but their style meshed with how i like to learn and I did fine.
Nemetria W.
Nemetria W.
Nov. 18, 2012, 6:31 p.m.
This only happened once with my French teacher who I thought was very easy but others thought otherwise. So sometimes it depends on how well you do in a subject/ Sometime teachers have a rough semester and unfortunately take it out on students but their next semester can be pretty good
Haley J.
Haley J.
Nov. 16, 2012, 1:52 p.m.
I've always read mixed reviews, but they tend to balance out. I try to look at why the person thinks the professor is good/bad. I have read reviews that said the professor was bad, but I ended up really liking them!
Nicole E.
Nicole E.
Nov. 15, 2012, 11:12 a.m.
If you look at the majority ruling on the teacher then no but if you look and them individually there will always be a student who doesn't like the teacher for some reason. it's better to use the site reviews as a majority rule to determine whether or not to take the teacher.
Yinka R.
Yinka R.
Nov. 14, 2012, 10:14 p.m.
I definitely read all the reviews, so I can be as prepared as possible. Sometimes the first couple of reviews will be good, but the rest will be negative. It's also good to look at the date and classes on reviews because professors can change over time and their styles can vary from course to course.
Allison W.
Allison W.
Nov. 14, 2012, 3:20 p.m.
Yes. But I think it's because not everyone rates their professors. Usually, people only rate them if they had a really bad experience or if they had a really good experience.
Tee H.
Tee H.
Nov. 14, 2012, 4:33 a.m.
Yes. I think the reviews depend on the person but at the same time you can pretty much gauge who just had a rough time with the professor and wrote a bad review.
Jennifer P.
Jennifer P.
Nov. 13, 2012, 6:38 p.m.
You get reviews from former students for each professor, so yes it is possible for reviews to conflict. I read all reviews about the professor in question and it usually balances out.

Join Now