BY QUIRKY

Wink hub see more...

Joanne M.
Pasadena, MD
We have this in our home, and it's the best thing ever. My husband installed smart switches throughout our house and now we can control all of our lights and ceiling fans from our phones or through Alexa. It's great for when you get in bed, then realize you forgot to turn something off, or for turning on the fan if it gets too warm. We also have it connected to our front door lock, so I never have to worry about forgetting my keys or wonder if the door is locked. It's also great for letting someone in your house if you are away. No copying keys, I just have the person getting my mail text me, and I can unlock and lock from anywhere. We also plug our Christmas tree into it, so we can turn that on and off from our phones. The Wink app allows you to create schedules, so that certain things turn on and off at times you predetermine. And you can create groups of lights, so when I walk up the steps for bed, I can just say, "Alexa, turn off the downstairs lights." and they all go off together. Home automation has been great for helping us to save electricity. It's also a nice safety feature because I can turn the porch light on if I come home late, and there is a random setting that turns on lights randomly if you want it to look like someone is home when you are away! The downside is that the hub and all the switches can be pricey if you want to do your whole house. We bought it little by little and our whole house was automated within two years. I highly recommend it to anyone looking to automate their home!
Brannon B.
Winter Springs, FL
The Wink hub is still new to the market, and has lots of potential, but needs work to get there. Wink hub was very easy to setup and use, connected right away to GE Link Bulbs. The mobile application is sufficient for the capabilities the hub currently provides. The hardware of the unit supports many different protocols, Zwave, Zigbee, Bluetooth, Wifi, and others. Unfortunately many of these protocols are unable to be utilized with the current state of hub software. Support for the Hub is provided via email only, and currently takes weeks to get a response, which is typically "Not supported at this time". Devices that are not Wink certified are not guaranteed to work, and from my experience will connect to the hub, and sometimes partially work, but not fully. There is no community for support for this product, another downside compared to competing products. Overall this unit is extremely inexpensive compared to other options, and likewise limited. If you are simply looking for basic home automation, particulary GE Link Lighting, the unit works well.