BY PURE LEAF #44 in Tea

Brewing instructions:

Brews 16 servings of Pure Leaf Black Tea with Vanilla per jar.

• I absolutely love tea and not to mention Pure Leaf products. I've...2 Answers
  • What do think about drinking a little more coffee and deciding th...2 Answers
  • Is the vanilla flavor strong?7 Answers
Buy on Walmart*
Aly N.
Aly N.
First it's important to know that I'm not a huge hot tea drinker. However, when I opt for tea, I'm big on classic black tea without anything frilly. Enter Pure Leaf Black Tea with Vanilla.

I've been a long-time fan of Pure Leaf. I buy their cold bottled teas fairly often (particularly their tea-lemonade combination) and I know they're a safe bet to avoid more unhealthy drinks with an exceptional number of artificial ingredients. This tea is no different—it's not my favorite, but I'll definitely be finishing the rest of the bags.

The tea smells strongly of vanilla when you open the package, which is both a good and a bad thing. I love the smell of vanilla extract, but I'm super wary of vanilla-flavored anything because it's historically tasted like a candle smells. This tea's vanilla flavor is more muted than you'd think—unfortunately so are the black tea elements, which I didn't find strong enough to my taste, even after letting it steep for much longer than necessary. Not bad.
Breann C.
Breann C.
Highland Park, NJ
I'm not normally a tea drinker but I gave this new product a try. My first thoughts were that it smelled really fantastic. The vanilla smell was really lovely and inviting and left me wanted to try it right away to get some of that flavor. I heated up some water and stared right in with the vanilla black tea!
The smell coming off of my now warm mug was still off the charts but upon first sip I was a little bit let down. The vanilla flavoring was not as strong as I was anticipating it to be, but that being said I did think it has a really nice and smooth flavor. I added a sweetener packet to bring some sweetness and I was very happy. I left the tea bag in for the entirety of my tea experience because I wanted a nice strong tea flavor and I got it.
After actually enjoying this cup of tea, I am looking forward to incorporating this into my morning routine. It was a nice warm wake up with fantastic flavor and no sugar! A new tea drinker has been born!
Francis S.
Francis S.
I received this in the Pure Leaf VoxBox. I'm not a huge black tea fan because sometimes it can be intense so I wasn't sure if I'd like this. I was surprised after steeping 3 minutes past the recommended amount (2 minutes) it was still not overwhelming and overpowering. It has a very light vanilla undertone. I usually use 2 sugar packets but had to use 3 on this one since it had no sweetness factor on its own but that's to be expected with the ingredients: black tea, ground vanilla beans, marigold petals, natural flavor. I wish they would specify on the packaging if it contains caffeine like most of the other tea box competitors do (not that it doesn't contain it but since sometimes manufacturers pull the caffeine from black tea leaves and specify both either way). Overall, it wasn't my favorite tea (and I love hot tea) and so it will not be in the batch of teas I keep constantly stocked in my house. Thank you Influenster for letting me test.
Natalie B.
Natalie B.
Concord, CA
I opened the bottle and immediately felt like there was fresh sugar cookies from the oven somewhere. I was nervous that the tea itself would make me think of eating cookies.
As the tea was steeping the freshness of the vanilla and the black tea became obvious. I loved the smooth scent that was coming from my cup.

As the tea was finished steeping i dove right in. Today is the kind of day where the rains are pouring the winds are blowing everything, and this is the perfect time for a nice cup of hot tea. i love that this tea is smooth, that it is a good black tea flavor and that the vanilla isn't too overwhelming.

i do not like that the tea has an aftertaste when it cools down. its almost an oily finish. i gave the 4 stars because of how it transported me when i needed an escape, but the 5th star isn't earned because of the finish of the tea, and i don't see myself reaching for this overtime i need that escape.
Claire P.
Claire P.
I am a huge fan of black tea with either subtle flavors or no added flavor at all. This tea is delicious, smooth, and has a nice, subtle vanilla flavor to it.

I'm not super picky about my tea unless it contains too many flavors, so much that it's overpowering or is extremely bitter. This tea is very soothing and has light flavor which I like.

I love the pyramid-shaped bags and the design of the bottle. It stands out from other brands since it's not just packs of tea in a box.

I took my first sip of it without any added sugar or honey. It was not too bitter. I only added honey because I had a bit of a cold so I've been drinking lots of tea with honey. It tasted great with and without honey.

I would definitely purchase especially if it's around the same price or cheaper than other brands.

I received this product for free in my VoxBox in exchange for my honest opinion. :)
MELISSA Y.
MELISSA Y.
Thanks influenster for sending me this product to try and give my honest review... I must say I was very skeptical at first... I am not a big fan of black tea... until I tried this one. I like the packaging; once I removed the seal from the plastic jar, I got a nice smell of vanilla... so delicious and the tea bags material seem to be good and let the tea brew pretty fast ... After letting my tea bag brew for 3 min I tried my first sip and Oh Surprise!!! it was good!! it's not so strong and it doest leave that bitter aftertaste ( which its usually the case for most of black teas) which I love and has the perfect amount of sweetness ( I don't like to add sugar on my teas) this is definitely a plus! ... Did I mention I LOVED the aroma this tea has?! I definitely recommend it and will be buying it once I run out ! Thanks @influenster and @pureleaf
Brandi B.
Brandi B.
Austin, TX
As luck would have it, I received this tea on a relatively cold day, so I went right in and made a cup. I found that the tea brewed quickly, only a few minutes to steep in piping hot water and I was ready to enjoy!

Aroma
This tea had a heavy vanilla aroma which was quite pleasant - it smelled fresh, not fake.

Taste
I would consider this to be a medium bodied tea with a slight vanilla flavor - far smoother then I had expected given the aroma. It was pleasant and mixed well with a bit of honey and hemp milk (non-dairy milk).

Caffeine
I didn't find this tea to be overly caffeinated. I did get a little boost, but nothing overwhelming. I found this to a great afternoon tea. If you're used to the caffeine in coffee, you'll find this to be a little on the mild side.

All in all, I really enjoyed my experience and look forward to my next cup.
Allison B.
Allison B.
San Bruno, CA
This tea was very fragrant and so tasty. The only problem I had was that it has a very strong flavor. I've had pure leaf tea in their iced version, and have always found it delightful, so I'm inclined to try their other flavors. I did see that they make a Chai, and if its decaf I would be super interested. My other issue with the two teas I got, this one and the citrus green tea, was neither are decaf, so that prevented me from being able to drink more than one cup, when I usually like to have several in the morning or at night. I love that you get so many in a container and target has them for $5 which is impressive. I'm going to pick up one of the iced ones in either raspberry or peach, as iced tea is a favorite in our house, and use it to make large batches. Thanks Pure Leaf and Influenster this was one of my favorite boxes.
Mary P.
Mary P.
Niskayuna, NY
I've been a self-proclaimed lover of tea since the days when I was a little 5 year old enjoying a cup of my grandma's trusty Lipton tea with her. Since then, I've certainly enjoyed (and not enjoyed) close to 100 brands, types, and flavors of teas. While this is far from the worst I've tried, I can't really count it among the best. The tea and vanilla flavors were both pretty muted (notice how the 5 star reviews come from people who "don't usually like black tea") no matter how long I allowed the bag to steep. There was something about the brew that just made it taste like the leaves lost their potency so the drink was reminiscent of a black tea with vanilla, but was overall a let down. For those who love black tea and want a more prevalent vanilla flavor, I suggest Bigelow's line of vanilla teas.
Mary R.
Mary R.
I was super excited to get selected for this VoxBox! I LOVE tea, and I never put anything in it, so I really enjoy finding flavored teas like this. The packaging is great, the higher quality tea bags makes a much better cup of tea as well. Just opening the jar there is a fantastic aroma of vanilla. The hint of vanilla in the brewed tea is perfect for me -not overly sweet but a nice warm flavor to change things up. I am pretty frugal about my tea and like to get multiple steeps out of it - I've successfully gotten two good cups out of one bag, haven't tried for a third yet.

Also, I think the jar will keep the tea longer than a cardboard box that some competitors have, and you won't have to use your own tins. I also carried some on a trip with me in a Ziplock and they did just fine.
Nichole B.
Nichole B.
Memphis, TN
Do you add sugar to the tea
Karen S.
Karen S.
Yvonne H.
Yvonne H.
Summerville, PA
Is the vanilla flavor strong?
Laura O.
Laura O.
Cassandra M.
Cassandra M.
How much vanilla flavor is there? Is it really overpowering?