BY PREMIER PET PRODUCTS

• Do you have to have a special leash in order to use this?1 Answers
Lindsay D.
Lindsay D.
Although I had heard many wonderful stories about how well this product can train a dog to walk on a leash, my dog will NOT leave it alone once it's on him. He is a stubborn hound/pitbull mix and he will swing his head from side to side and roll on the ground and scratch at his snout until he is able to get the collar off from his nose area. We've watched the training video and have tried more than a few times with treats in hand, but he refuses to have this attached to his snout. A full body harness has been a better choice for him, since he's so stubborn. I'm sure this product would work fine for a breed that is more calm and less headstrong.
Sara M.
Sara M.
Sultan, WA
I have heard such great things about this product but my dog HATES it and does not abide by it like everyone else's dogs do.. The strap that goes on top of the nose is constantly pulling up into his eyes which are already having issues of their own with irritation. I have tried loosening and tightening to prevent this and it just does not help. I'm going to give it one more shot but so far I'm not so happy with this product and I really want to be.
Stacey V.
Stacey V.
Broussard, LA
This is by far the most safest and comfortable for your pet once they are used to it. It is amazing to used or training purposes. If your dog pulls you when you are walking him, their is the collar for you. The head is moved and no pressure is on a collar around the neck. Please view a YouTube video of this amazing training collar!
Trish M.
Trish M.
Portland , OR
The gentle leader is a life saver. My dog would try to herd traffic which would put her and I in danger. I tried a harness that clipped in front and it helped but didn't fix the problem. The gentle leader worked so well. It's also affordable. My dog acts so much more behaved with it on.
Chris M.
Chris M.
Recommended to us by our dog trainer. These things work wonders and do a great job at helping with loose leash walking. When your dog lunges or pulls this leader pulls their head in the opposite direction and breaks them of the distraction or over excitement.
Samantha B.
Samantha B.
Pickens, SC
Pet Lover Expert
I HIGHLY recommend this collar! It is strong and it really helps when walking your dog. My dog used to pull me everywhere, but with this, she stays beside me. Walks have never been so fun and easy!
jae C.
jae C.
Let me start by saying this: You must give your dogs an adjustment period to get used to this harness - and don't put it on them for the first time right when you are about to go on a walk or do leash work. You should have them warm up to the harness for a few days, off and on during all times of day, and praise them all the time to help them feel comfortable and safe in it. Also, be prepared to have a lot of high-value treats on hand to reward them for not fussing with the Gentle Leader. My pups love carrots, green beans, or the occasional diced up piece of blanched chicken.

This harness will help control your dogs, especially if they are pullers, while you are walking. It does take a little bit of adjustment and you need to make sure that you are making it fit as best and as comfortable as it can. This type of harness is easy to over-tighten which can put pressure on your dog's nose which will make them uncomfortable which will lead to them trying to take it off. I suggest getting a little carribeaner and clipping the ring that you would normally clip on to your leash, on to their collar - at least while they are trying to get used to it - that way it doesn't drag on the floor.

Hope this helps.
Alicia S.
Alicia S.
Washington, UT
It's a great training tool that doesn't harm your pooch! We adopted a golden doodle in Feb of 2015 (puppy) and she has tried flexing her 54lbs muscles lately when we go on walks. When we purchased the gentle leader, we expected some resistance from her in the beginning. She actually only tried to lead once after putting the gentle leader on her and since then, she has been well behaved and in some cases we don't even have to put it on her and she still stays with us. Love it!!
Allison C.
Allison C.
Austin
I have an 80 pound German Shepard mix who is way stronger than me and this product really helps me control him when he's trying to pull me on our walks. Although he is not the biggest fan of it, I think it's a great product!
Matt F.
Matt F.
Nisswa, MN
I used this on my yellow lab after I got tired of him pulling me down the trail. This put a complete stop to it instantly! He no longer pulls and he walks like a good boy! The gentle leader is honestly one of my top favorite purchases ever. It's so helpful and really does what it claims.
Kyle A.
Kyle A.
Do you have to have a special leash in order to use this?