BY NIANTIC #39 in Apps

Venusaur, Charizard, Blastoise, Pikachu, and many other Pokémon have been discovered on planet Earth!
Now’s your chance to discover and capture the Pokémon all around you—so get your shoes on, step outside, and explore the world. You’ll join one of three teams and battle for the prestige and ownership of Gyms with your Pokémon at your side.

Pokémon are out there, and you need to find them. As you walk around a neighborhood, your smartphone will vibrate when there’s a Pokémon nearby. Take aim and throw a Poké Ball… You’ll have to stay alert, or it might get away!

Search far and wide for Pokémon and items
Certain Pokémon appear near their native environment—look for Water-type Pokémon by lakes and oceans. Visit PokéStops, found at interesting places like museums, art installations, historical markers, and monuments, to stock up on Poké Balls and helpful items.

Catching, hatching, evolving, and more
As you level up, you’ll be able to catch more-powerful Pokémon to complete your Pokédex. You can add to your collection by hatching Pokémon Eggs based on the distances you walk. Help your Pokémon evolve by catching many of the same kind.

Take on Gym battles and defend your Gym
As your Charmander evolves to Charmeleon and then Charizard, you can battle together to defeat a Gym and assign your Pokémon to defend it against all comers.

It’s time to get moving—your real-life adventures await!

• Are you still playing Pokemon go after the craze is gone?10 Answers
  • What's the rarest Pokémon you have found in the wild so far?28 Answers
  • Who is your favorite Pokémon?6 Answers
Christina C.
Christina C.
Smyrna, TN
Gamer Expert
When this game first came out, I downloaded it. When i was a kid, I was OBSESSED with Pokemon. I had ALL the good cards, all the holographic, and ALL the other kids in the neighborhood wanted to trade cards constantly. I had pokemon snap for nintendo 64. I had my gameboy color with ALL color pokemon games. I beat all of them. Still being a 26 year old woman, i could name almost all the original pokemon. With that being said, i installed Pokemon GO. I thought it was an awesome idea to recreate the pokemon series, while being able to CATCH pokemon in real life! I played for the first month, then got REALLY bored. Its always the same Pokemons around. Rattata, Pidgey, ect and i got fed up with not finding any new pokemon, so i uninstalled. This game wants you to travel all OVER the place, not just walk down the road. If walking could bring NEW pokemon, id still be playing it. You have to get in your car and actually drive to different places to catch "new" pokemon. That got boring.
Jennifer M.
Jennifer M.
I got a little nostalgic when they brought this version out since I had played on my game boy when red and blue first came out. I like how it's forcing people to get out of the house and get some exercise while still having fun but I kinda miss the grind of the original game when you had to battle down the pokemon you wanted to catch first or fought wild pokemon to level up your own. I also liked how you had a say in the skill trees in the original and what abilities they retained where as in the new version it does not appear that's an option...although maybe I'm just not far enough in yet. This version definitely has its bugs too. I was battling a blastoise and my game froze...everyone around me caught it and when I rebooted it was gone...kinda unfair. it has a tendency to freeze in battle when you're trying to catch something which really sucks. I hope they can iron that all out. Also, it's a HUGE battery hog. I can lose charge on my phone even if I play while plugged in.
Lauren M.
Lauren M.
Jonesboro, GA
This is an amazing app! It brings the handheld game of pokemon into the real world. It uses the GPS in your phone to tell you where nearby pokemon. You have to move into the real world to find them! So far they have the original kantos region, but hopefully they'll expand to more. It's amazing to play and has introduced me to other players in my area. People I wouldn't usually meet, I end up talking to and joining to find pokemon and gyms! (Though please do be careful with the people you meet and of your surroundings!) Even my family plays and we are all eager to show each other what we've caught. There are some set backs, one being that it's tough to play in a rural area. I haven't found any poke stops or gyms in the immediate area. I've had to travel about ten to fifteen minutes by car to find them. Like any app, there are in game purchases, but for the most part you don't need them. You can get a good amount of stuff from poke stops and leveling up.
Sabrina U.
Sabrina U.
Hilo, HI
As someone who grew up playing Pokemon, I still have my game boy advance and have played each generation of Pokemon from Crystal all the way to X & Y, this is a dream come true. Pokemon Go allows me to become a pokemon trainer and catch pokemon here in my own town. I love the concept of the game, and love that it encourages people to get out of their house and explore the outside world. My only complaint is that I live in a pretty small town, Hilo, Hawaii, and I'm having a hard time catching anything other than ratatas, pidgeys, magikarps, psyducks, and tentacools. I'd love to see an expansion with Pokemon from other generations and hopefully fixing of bugs. Many times, when I battle gyms, the game glitches which can be frustrating. But the game is new, so I'm hopeful that Nintendo is working on all the bugs and getting their servers sorted. Overall, this game is amazing, and I'm addicted to it.
Daisy D.
Daisy D.
Orlando, FL
One of the best games ever created. So fun and addictive. I'm not even a big pokemon fan because as a child I wasn't allowed to watch the cartoons but I'm so glad this gem was created. Me and my boyfriend play all the time and its crazy how you see people of ALL races and ages play in popular areas such as parks or shopping centers. There is so much attention to detail when it comes to the animations of the Pokemons and interactions. Its amazing how much you can do in the game. I also love how it pretty much forces you to not stay inside your house. To successfully advance in the game, you must go outside and take a walk or simply play it in different locations because the game must track your GPS location. For example, you need to walk a certain amount of km to hatch a Pokemon egg. Overall, I'd recommend this game to anyone and EVERYONE. Total success!!
Kimberly S.
Kimberly S.
Honolulu, HI
My little brother used to watch Pokemon on tv when he was growing up so I'm very familiar with the franchise & I was pretty excited for this game. It's was definitely super fun when I first started playing but the interest is starting to peter out as the number of new pokemon is getting smaller. I also didn't like that they took away the feature that made "nearby" pokemon available; I've heard that there's a new update that will show you a picture of the location where the pokemon is but it hasn't arrived yet. But catching or evolving new pokemon is still fun & I do like that it made me more active (having to walk) when I first started playing. I wish there were more ways to earn pokemon coins, as having a pokemon hold a gym for just 10 pokemon coins a day isn't very lucrative. All in all, despite my complaints I still play it every day!
Zugeiri O.
Zugeiri O.
Love this app, it's addicting. You get to pick how your trainer looks so of course you make it to look like yourself. Once that is complete you are ready to catch them all! You get to choose your starter pokemon if you know the trick it can be Pikachu but the others are baulbasaur, charmander or squirtle. Then you go out walk and catch Pokémon but along the way there are also pokestops which are landmarks, cafe shops, bars, churches,etc in your neighborhood/city that gives you poke balls , revives potions which you need and they go into your backpack. Also along the way there are locations called gyms which you can place your pokemon in and have battles against other trainers passing by.
Pokemon spawn in and out all over the place and you catch them with your poke balls until you catch them all including evolved forms.
Lawanda W.
Lawanda W.
Shawnee, KS
I usually don't play a lot of games on my phone and when i do it's mostly puzzles.I downloaded Pokémon Go after watching several videos on YouTube and I'm glad i did.I am absolutely in love with the treasure hunt style of this game!My major issue with the game is it freezes up and it loses signal. But witj that being said it is new and there are going to be bugs and technical issues that will be fixed. I love that so many people are playing it and if you see a group of people staring at their phones at a park or near a church they are probably playing Pokémon! It also drains your battery like crazy! I would definitely recommend this game to others. I also want to remind people not to drive and play and don't go anywhere that you don't feel safe and you don't know the area at all.
Alivia B.
Alivia B.
Palm Bay, FL
This game is addicting! I was never really into Pokemon growing up. My son is into it now and wanted to download the app. I was reading into the tips and tutorial and how to play the game. You don't have to know much about the actual game to play and it also gets you motivated to get out and exercise because in order to catch new Pokemon or gain new pokeballs, you must go to new places. Most places are within walking distance so you can really get out there and explore while gaining new items for the game. I honestly wasn't interested in the game to begin with but now that I have actually played, I love to bond with my son and other people in the family who have the game. While you're out and about you run into other players as well so it's really a neat way to meet people too.
Reba B.
Reba B.
This is a fun game, however, as it is still in the beta phase, it needs some adjustments.
I like that I can hatch pokemon and can walk with my buddy, but the lack of pokestops,Pokbaalls, and the difficulty in catching and finding good pokemon spawns, makes the games a bit more challenging than it needs to be.
I hate that the speed cut off for km keeps decreasing, and that I am currently level 23, have played in 3 different states, and never received a 10km egg. This game has a lot of problems that need to be sorted out, however once they are fixed, I expect the game to be a amazing. It is a one of a kind after all.
Ana C.
Ana C.
Peachtree Cor, GA
What team did you chose to be part of?
David F.
David F.
Brooklyn, NY
Gamer Expert
What's the rarest Pokémon you have found in the wild so far?
José F.
José F.
How do you create or get an egg?
Ruth W.
Ruth W.
Clinton, CT
What is the best Pokémon that you have hatched from an egg?
Ana S.
Ana S.
What level are you on? I'm at 20!