BY PLATED.COM #8 in Meal & Beverage Delivery Services

1. Plated features a variety of new chef-designed meals each week. Choose the meals you want and order online. No need to grocery shop or recipe hunt (we do it for you). 2. We deliver exceptional ingredients to your door. Everything is perfectly portioned so you don’t need to worry about measuring and waste. 3. You conveniently create chef-designed meals in your own kitchen. Follow our designer chefs' step-by-step recipes. Enjoy an amazing meal in under 30 minutes.

Buy on Plated
Kristen N.
Parma, OH
Like the other boxes I  have reviewed, there are so many ways to order Plated and get a deal on your first shipment.  I was lucky to have had a referral from a friend to get my first box FREE!

If you are a SmartPhone user, I have found that the best way to manage your food delivery is via the app.  Be sure to download the app via your Droid or Apple.  The Plated Service is $71 and change.  For that price,  I order two servings for three meals (which equals dinner for two for three meals, which is typical of most services).  You can indicate how many people you are cooking for (servings) and how many meals you want.  I  did one of the cheaper routes, so if you increase it, your weekly rate can be substantially more.

As far as I  know, Plated does not have a wine or wine pairing service, but they are one of the only ones that offer a dessert option.  You can pick a dessert for an additional $8 a dessert.  There are two options, so you could get both for $16.

Once you download the app and begin to plan your delivery, you have the ability to enter your food preferences (mainly what types of meat you eat or do not eat-, so they can easily identify meals for you.  The app will always provide their choices for you, but like the other services,  you can choose from a variety of meals for the week.  You have the ability to pick from a bunch of meal options, and you are not limited in your choices, as far as not being able pick one meal if you chose another.

My thoughts on getting the most out of Plated or any food service is to always ensure you are ordering a meat or protein for each meal (e.g., fish, chicken, steak, pork).  This is the best way to get the most of your money in comparison to what is costs per meal if it were just veggies or pasta.  Obviously, this is not an option if you are a vegetarian, but I do think this is the way to get the most bang for your buck.

My recipes for Plated were Seared Steak with Italian Street Corn and Basil Pistou, Turkey-Spinach Burgers with Creamy Aioli and Carrot Fries, and Chicken Bruschetta with Balsamic and Shaved Parmesan.

I  have been fortunate that most of my dinner boxes have always arrived on time.  Unfortunately, my first delivery of Plated (which was supposed to come mid February) got shipped incorrectly and never made it to me.  I  ended up having no dinner box that week, so I  was extremely disappointed on how that worked out.  I called customer service, and they credited my account, and I was able to order another free box for two weeks later.  They indicated that I would get a dessert in the next box, but when I  did get the next box, it was not in there.  :(

Like Hello Fresh and Home Chef, the Plated ingredients were packaged very similar.  The meats were on the very bottom on the box and separated by cardboard.  The other ingredients were packaged in a plastic bag separately for each meal.  Some ingredients were not included in the bags, but it was minimal and not a big deal.  I really like the concept of separation of meal ingredients, as I'm able to throw away scraps and wrapping in the bag as I cook.

The recipe cards were attractive, but I  thought how they were written out were not clean and easy to read.  They indicate that you MUST review the card before you cook, which I usually do, but I  can see why they suggest that.  There is a lot of words on the directions, so it's not easy to skim and follow.  In addition, some of the order they put the preparation and cooking steps in did not make sense to me, so I  changed that up a little bit in order to save time.

Overall, the meats were high quality and tasty.  The vegetables were fine--I  would not say they were extremely fresh, but they were not old either.  I did end up having an issue with one of the onions in my last meal I made, as it was a little moldy on one side.  It was my sixth day of receiving the box and really the last day to cook any of the meals.  This is not a huge deal to me, as it is food and stuff like this happens with food, regardless if you get it shipped or pick it up at your grocery store.   I was able to save the rest of the onion after cutting off the one side.

I  really enjoyed every recipe I made.  They were all extremely tasty, and I  would make all of them again.  The turkey burger was probably one of the best dinner box recipes I have made (top ten for sure), and I don't even really regularly eat turkey burgers.

The recipes were fairly easy and quick to make.  They did not take as long as other services, which I  liked.

The recipe cards aren't super clear, and I do not love the order the steps are in all the time. Now that I've honed my cooking skills and have done these boxes, Iwas able to adjust accordingly.  I think this service would be difficult for a first time cook, just based upon how the directions are written.

The portions are a good size.  I felt satisfied and not hungry after.

The recipes were a mix of updated versions of everyday meals, as well as some unique recipes, which is a nice mix of tried and true recipes, as well as unique recipes.  You can get the best of both worlds.

Plated is about $11 more than other services for the same number of meals for two people.  This is a little expensive to me.  Although I  really liked the recipes and food, I'm not sure if I would want to pay that much more every week.  If you want to add more meals, servings, or dessert, you can easily spend almost $100 weekly.
Although customer service addressed my needs and concerns, I was a little disappointed I did not receive a box at all the one week.  I'd rather get it late than not at all.  I  was also looking forward to trying out the desserts, as Plated is the only service that includes desserts, but I  was unable to do that since I  did not receive them, even after putting them in my box.

I  absolutely loved all the recipes!  I liked each one, and these were probably some of my favorite recipes. If Plated was the same price as the other services, I  would definitely think of making it my go-to service.
Shawna H.
Pullman
Horrible!  Terrible customer service and they use an obscure delivery service that has failed to deliver my boxes twice. Doesn't sound too bad right?  Well I only ordered two boxes so they failed to deliver 100% of my orders!  Instead of a refund they offer a credit...I don't want a credit, I don't want to play this game of "will they actually find my house this time?"  No!  I have ordered from Hello Fresh, Blue Apron, Marley Spoon, Green Chef, and Dinnerly and ALL of them have been delivered to my house!  Dinnerly was late and the food was spoiled but it WAS delivered not just marked as delivered and never received!  Terrible, horrible, absolutely the worst service EVER!!!    And both times I called they acted all surprised, like Fish, I know you've heard of this happening before cause I called you LAST WEEK so don't act like it's not a problem!  Use FedEx like everyone else instead of GSO which must stand for "Gosh Sh*t Oops" we didn't deliver the package again!
Wildcat B.
Olympia
I trust you have heard of a dingleberry - a piece of something dirty that does not go away when you want it to, but instead continues to hang on causing annoyance and grief for much longer than you would like. This is what Plated is. See my prior review on Yelp from 1/18/18.After I cancelled my subscription, I continued to receive emails stating a new box is on its way, which continue to not show up. I checked my bank account this morning and discovered that 2 days after cancelling my account and getting a refund for the money I had spent on a service never received, I was again charged and, two weeks after cancelling my account over the phone, I have been charged another $55. When I called today, I was asked if I received a confirmation email for the cancellation. Yes. I was told that the customer service agent documented my cancellation, but did not actually cancel my account and that it still shows up as an active account. I asked to have it cancelled and refunded since, again, I have never received anything that I paid for from this company.Dingleberry.
Charlotte S.
I received 3 boxes from Plated and all 3 boxes, which contained 2 meal kits each, had rancid rotting vegetables. The onions always had mold on them, the avocados were overripe and mushy, and the packaged greens and herbs were always so rancid that they had begun to liquefy, which got all over everything. So disgusting. After going to the grocery store and spending more money to replace every single rotted item, the recipes were very good. Though the directions could be improved. In 2 out of 6 recipes I was given garlic and instructed to mince the garlic, however nowhere in the directions was the garlic ever mentioned again. In another recipe I had the same issue with some cilantro. I just kind of threw these items in somewhere half way through the cooking process just to use them. Heck, I'd already put the work in for them and paid for them TWICE (since the original items sent had already gone bad), so I was definitely going to use them in my recipes! They also instructed me to half a lime and then it said to "squeeze the lime over the shrimp", so I squeezed both halves over the shrimp.....later it instructed me to "take the other half of the lime and squeeze over the avocado sauce"....uhhhhh, too late. I'm no chef, nor am I a mind reader, so I need clear and proper direction! The shrimp were waaaayyyyy too limey and I have no doubt that the avocado sauce would have been much better with a little lime juice in it. Not a fan. I would NOT recommend this meal kit service.
Sherry R.
Fort Lauderdale
Don’t even bother.  I thought I would give them a try I normally use Blue Apron.  Plated doesn’t even send you all the ingredients for example eggs.  Obviously salt, black pepper, olive oil and cooking apparatus you need to have  but imagIne opening your box thinking you should have all the main ingredients for the meal and then to find out you still have to go to the store.  I placed an order for 3 people for 4 days and the produce was squished broken and in one instance I had a a meal with chicken sandwiches and the they sent me two brioche rolls instead of three and the bag said three rolls included.  I immediately canceled my service and resumed back with Blue Apron.  So do yourselves a favor and forget plates they seem to still be in the embryonic stage and not yet mastered how to run this business.
Estella H.
Plated is my personal favorite of the meal ingredient delivery programs, I’ve also tried Blue Apron & Hello Fresh and although it’s pricier than the other two I think it’s worth it.
I like that Plated has so many new options every week and they’re always seasonal which I’m really into, plus they bring back popular recipes also so you always get a good variety to choose from.
I also like that their recipes are very diverse and inspired from flavors around the world, so I can try something new if the mood strikes.
I find their recipes easy to follow and pretty spot on but I’m in no way a beginner and also already cook from scratch daily, I think there might be a lot of steps for a beginner but I also think it’s a great way to learn.
I’ve had nothing but good experiences with a Plated and also with their customer service.
I’ve been using Plated for around 2 years and have noticed their constantly evolving practices, they’re always getting better whether it be packaging, recipe cards simplicity, or more variety.
This is the only delivery service I still use.
Jillian M.
I enjoyed the selection of meals more in this subscription. The food was a better quality than others I’ve tried. The downside with Plated is that it’s more expensive than some of the other subs, but then the quality is better, so I guess it depends on how much you’re willing to pay for one of these services.
J S.
Buffalo
Having tried nearly every meal kit service on the market, I can say confidentially that Plated was my favorite. The variety and number of meal options per week was the best, in my opinion. Also, everything I made ended up tasting delicious. I only wish they were more affordable after using up all of my offer codes!
Patty L.
Houston
Member since Aug 2017.  Recipes have been my favorite compared to Home Fresh and Blue Apron, but the delivery has been inconsistent and sometimes ingredients are missing. This is obviously a young company with some kinks to work out. I liked the food so much that I was willing to overlook the little errors. But now my meal for this week never made it and although they refunded me, it is the second time in 9 months this happened. I need to be able to count on a service or to be told THE DAY OF that the meals are not arriving. Sorry Plated. I'm out. Good luck and I am hopeful you guys will work out the kinks.
Jenn G.
Rockville
The recipes for Plated are unique and I haven’t had a bad one yet. My favorite thing about plated is the amount of choices and variety they have in the recipes I get every week.

It’s a bit on the pricier side for about $70/week for three meals but I’ve gotten to try a lot of unique things that I would have never made otherwise.

I’ve had shipping issues with them however, their customer service is amazing and has resolved my issues very quickly!
Carrie B.
Mandeville, LA
Is it worth the money? I really want to try it out but if the food doesn't taste as good as it looks (because it looks delicious!), I'd rather not pay $10 a plate
staci B.
arcadia, FL
The people who are saying its not worth it did you buy a box?
Kristie M.
East Amherst, NY
What do you think about this concept?
Ashley L.
Elk Grove, CA
Pop Culture Expert Level 3
This seems interesting would love some feed back on it. Can someone tell me if it is worth it.
Ana S.
San Antonio, TX
Is this similar to Blue apron? Which one do you recommend?