Add a Photo

By PITCH PERFECT
#30 in Movies
Arriving at her new college, Beca (Anna Kendrick) finds herself not right for any clique but somehow is muscled into one that she never would have picked on her own: alongside mean girls, sweet girls and weird girls whose only thing in common is how good they sound when they sing together. When Beca leads this a cappella singing group out of their traditional arrangements and perfect harmonies into all-new mash-ups, they fight to climb their way to the top of college music competitions.
Photos (6)
Margineanu M.
Margineanu M.

Most of the people I saw Pitch Perfect with truly enjoyed it. They laughed and clapped and booed at me when I expressed my disgust. For many, this movie will definitely be enjoyable. Make no mistake, that does not make it any less of an awful movie.

Several factors contribute to my low opinion of Pitch Perfect. The largest of these concerns is the cast of characters. While there are few complaints in the acting department, the characters themselves are among the worst set of "people" committed to screen in recent memory.

"Beca" (is that spelling supposed to be hip or something?) is an arrogant, brooding, selfish brat who spends most of her time sulking on her computer and complaining about being forced to go to COLLEGE and be with PEOPLE (blegh, right?!). This is a perfect setup for character development, right? Wrong. After a half-hearted apology for being a terrible human being before the climax, Beca morphs not into an upstanding social and moral butterfly, but a smug leader of the troop she so recently was kicked off of, and this is the image the audience is left with.

"Jesse" is the most cliché love interest one can imagine. Seriously, girls, if you ever meet a guy this perfect and blameless, marry him. Jesse prances throughout the movie being sweet to everybody, from his unrealistically nerdy roommate to the jerks he sings with. He pursues Beca valiantly for no particular reason and provides the cliché moral criticism Beca so desperately needs late in the movie (but of course he takes her back). While girls might be enthralled by this sentiment, no true development can occur through a character who is so blatantly one-dimensional.

Worst of all are the two commentators for the sing-offs, Gail and John. These two buffoons spew dialogue that is not only shockingly inappropriate for television/radio, they simply aren't funny. While clearly trying to channel Fred Willard's comedic performance from Best in Show, the pair instead come across as amusing as your drunk middle-aged parents at a frat party.

Other character "highlights" include the mind-bogglingly narrow-minded and stubborn team leader, Aubrey. Stacie provides the necessary college-aged sex-addicted tramp character (a character so over-the-top, you're guaranteed to squirm). Bumper (the captain of the boy's singing team) is a character so insanely arrogant and rude that he is not only hard to enjoy watching, he makes you want to kill every jock on the planet. Slowly.

The movie's second fatal flaw is its achingly stupid sense of humor. Yes, boys and girls, Fat Amy is funny. She has several good one liners and lends the movie its only spark of humor-related vitality. However, all else falls flat. The most achingly obvious example is the vomit-laden climax. Seriously, was that girl doing vomit-angels supposed to funny? I guess I just don't get it.

Also, for a PG-13 flick aimed at mostly female tweens, Pitch Perfect is surprisingly offensive. The movie takes heavy jabs at nerds, Asian people, Jewish people, redheads, and probably more that I fail to recall at the moment (not to mention several distasteful jokes like the one about eating another baby in the womb). Seriously, filmmakers, you aren't Sacha Baron Cohen, and you don't have the same audience.

Finally, the movie follows the most cliché (I like this word, don't I?) storyline imaginable. Girl has trouble in college. Girl meets boy who befriends her. Girl joins team of has-beens. Girl pushes away boy away because of her past and her daddy issues. Girl forced off team. Girl "learns lesson" and wins boy back and helps team of has-beens win championship. Yay, ingenuity!

Ultimately, the comedic sparks from the humorous character Fat Amy can not save Pitch Perfect. I'll be honest, this movie completely lost at the vomit scene(even Miss March was more tasteful than that!) I was quite aca-thankful when the movie came to its (very abrupt) ending.
Michelle R.
Michelle R.
Monroe, CT

I am absolutely in love with this movie. Pitch Perfect is one of those movies you can see over and over again and still love. I've seen Pitch Perfect probably two dozen times and can recite many of the funny scenes and lines (my friends hear me say "hands in aca-bitches" at least once a day). The movie is downright hilarious with funny characters, creative lines, and relate-able yet comical story lines about college. The music is fantastic, so good that I even purchased the soundtrack. Pitch Perfect still gets me laughing just as hard as I did the first time I saw it. Pitch Perfect is addicting and fantastic. I highly recommend it.
Erica S.
Erica S.

This movie is A'CA'AWESOME! epic movie! "Nothing makes a women feel more like a girl than man who sings like a boy." haha ...
Fat amy, "the MENstrils," a capella sock puppets, bumper, The Breakfast Club references & an amazing talented cast with unforgettable popular songs that we all already know& love and probably belt at the top of our lungs in the shower. I can't get enough. I'm going to watch it now again lol. GO BELLAS!
Misty Y.
Misty Y.
Wellington

"Hilarious"

The film was not at all what I was expecting, it was filled with so much comedy a few bits of drama here and there. The cast were perfectly fitted with the characters, rebel Wilson portrayed 'fat Amy' was a barrel of laughs throughout. The combination of music and comedy fit perfectly well, there were a few cliche moments the typical boy meets girl vibe. But overal the film was fantastic.
Andrea B.
Andrea B.
Thomasville, AL

I actually enjoyed watching Pitch Perfect. I haven't got the chance to watch Pitch Perfect 2 yet. Rebel Wilson is so funny in this movie. The things that I have seen her in that she was funny in them. But this is a very funny movie and I definitely would recommend this movie and the second one even though I have not seen it yet. I know it will be good to from what I have gathered from the previews.
Madeline S.
Madeline S.
Wayland, MA

I feel like most people will be opposed to watching an A Capella movie because they might assume it is a musical but boy could this movie be any further from a musical! This movie is incredible! I happen to love A Capella but the plot of the movie makes it even better! This is a great movie and I definitely advise watching the second one! I also can't wait for the third one to come out!!!
Christine S.
Christine S.
Millsboro, DE

This movie isn't just your basic musical! There is a great storyline, great music and the cast is great! I love watching this and just singing along to the songs. Theres some good comedy thru out it as well. Fat Amy (Patricia) I would have to say is my favorite character! She keeps the movie funny! Once youve seen this, check out the sequel as well! RECOMMEND!!
Claire P.
Claire P.

I'll admit, when I first watched this movie I thought it was overhyped, and maybe it was at the time. But I watched it multiple times when at parties and friends houses, and I grew to love it. I often have to watch things a couple times to see what I missed the first time, and I think I definitely missed all the funny parts cause it's hilarious!
Amanda P.
Amanda P.

Wasn't impressed with the quality of this movie "Pitch Perfect", well at least this first one. The movie seemed slightly tasteless and unbelievably "over-reacting" in some scenes. The actors were not all that funny and the dialogue seemed like perhaps, run on sentences to fill a time frame. I hated this movie, loved the second movie.
Sarah D.
Sarah D.
lasalle

This is the perfect feel-good movie! I dislike going to theatres, but went to see this twice in the same week when it came out! You can't help but sing along with and fall in love along side the main characters. There is a gross scene in the second half of the movie which left me gagging- I would watch this with snacks.
melissa h.
melissa h.
Palm Bay, Fl

I'm not a big fan of teenie bopper movie, but is this one worth watching?
Rebecca D.
Rebecca D.
Gulf Breeze, FL

Which ones your favorite, the first Pitch Perfect or the second one?
Clarissa T.
Clarissa T.
Pueblo, Co

Does actually anyone ♥/ like this movie??
Lindsay M.
Lindsay M.
Akron, OH

Who is your favorite character?
lorena m.