BY PHILOSOPHY #6 in Facial Cleansers

Our award-winning cleanser is loved by all for its multitasking, 3-in-1 approach to cleansing. gently cleanses and melts away face and eye makeup in one simple step, while toning and lightly hydrating. skin is left feeling perfectly clean, comfortable and balanced.

Gently massage a quarter-size amount onto a lightly damp face, and massage for 30-60 seconds. rinse and pat dry. use morning and evening. follow with appropriate treatment and moisturizer.

Ingredients: water (aqua), sodium lauroamphoacetate, sodium trideceth sulfate, limnanthes alba (meadowfoam) seed oil, coco-glucoside, cocos nucifera (coconut) alcohol, peg-120 methyl glucose dioleate, aniba rosaeodora (rosewood) wood oil, geranium maculatum oil, guaiac (guaiacum officinale) extract, cymbopogon martini oil, rosa damascena extract, amyris balsamifera bark oil, santalum album (sandalwood) oil, salvia officinalis (sage) oil, cinnamomum cassia leaf oil, anthemis nobilis flower oil, daucus carota sativa (carrot) seed oil, piper nigrum (pepper) seed extract, polysorbate 20, glycerin, carbomer, triethanolamine, methylparaben, propylparaben, citric acid, imidazolidinyl urea, yellow 5 (ci 19140).

• Best facial cleanser for acne prone skin? Besides philoso...3 Answers
  • The ONLY face wash I will use. Takes off every trace of m...3 Answers
  • Is this product oily?5 Answers
philosophy purity made simple one-step facial cleanser
  • "This is by far one if my favorite cleansers. I have sensitive, dry & oily, breakout prone skin. This cleanser leaves my skin soft and clean and doesn't irritate or break me out. Plus a little goes a long way, so even though its on the expensive side the bottle lasts forever. " in 1435 reviews
Jessica C.
I have a long history with this product. I used it 10+ years ago in conjunction with  philosophy hope in a jar and discontinued both after my skin type changed and I started reacting badly. Turns out that the culprit was the moisturizer, not the cleanser, so I started using Purity again after receiving a bottle of it in a holiday gift set. I like that it's gentle, removes makeup, and I adore the scent. It's light and botanical and, most importantly, doesn't stick around; I can't stand skincare with cloying fragrances. This isn't my go-to facial cleanser, I prefer using African Black Soap, but I tend to use this when traveling (so many small bottles and foil packets, y'all!) and after removing makeup to make sure all the makeup is really gone.
Nicole J.
Knoxville, TN
I was looking for an effective cleanser, more straightfoward than luxe, and not terribly expensive. My sister uses this and swears by it. This cleanses my face without drying or stripping. I have somewhat oily skin and have not suffered any ill effects— redness, irritation, breakouts- from using this. It cleanses effectively, and mercifully, rinses away easily. I moisten skin with a little bit of water and i use a facial brush ($5 from Wal-Mart) to massage this all over into a gentle lather. Alternatively, i will use a small piece soft cloth for that allover massage. I do not get this near my eyes and would caution against this. This formula is fragranced, not strongly, but it is there. Actually, it smells identical to Princess Marcella Borghese’s Crema Saponetta- although that has a good deal more fragrance than this. Since i liked that product, i did not mind the scent using the purity. Pricewise, it is probably more cost-effective to buy the largest size (which i believe has the pump). However, i do not have the counter space for this. Also nice is that Philosophy sells small bottles of this which is perfect if you want to try this out, or for travel or to tuck into your gym bag. I would probably buy the largest size, decant into the smaller bottle (which has a flip cap), and store the large bottle out of sight. The smaller bottles are 2 oz or 3 oz, and are available stand-alone as well as sold in mini-sets paired with the exfoliating wash or their micellar water. I would re-purchase this.
daria c.
I wasn't crazy about it. I have normal-to-dry skin and although I wouldn't exactly consider my skin sensitive, I found that this cleanser dried my skin out and left it feeling a little stripped. It *is* a foaming cleanser though, and those tend to run on the drier side; so, honestly, it probably just isn't the cleanser for my skin type. I didn't notice it do anything special for my skin and I can't say it's any better in terms of ingredients when compared to other face washes. I think if you have non-acne prone oily skin, this could be fine for you though!
Janelle B.
Englewood, NJ
It claims to cleanse, tone, and hydrate all in one-step.

I thoroughly enjoyed this product. I always felt like my skin was thoroughly cleansed, and it's also easy to rinse off.

This cleanser also didn't break me out, which is always a plus!

I didn't repurchase because it's a bit pricy. I think it's worth the money, but I personally don't feel like I need to spend that much on facial cleanser. If your budget allows, definitely try it out!
Alaina B.
Eden Prairie, MN
This is just fine. It's not cheap feeling, but doesn't feel too luxurious either (despite the price/brand). I will use it if I have it, but I wouldn't go out of my way to purchase it. The smell is not bad, but isn't great either. Just an overall meh product for me. I didn't have any reactions either, so that's a plus.
Hannah J.
Milford
This stuff is 110% worth every penny. The bottle will last you a while--even for me, and I dump this stuff into the palm of my hand when I use it. I think it's very fairly priced and don't feel like I've over payed. It's a wonderful mild cleanser and it's multipurpose potential just adds that much more to it. You can use this as a makeup remover/precleanse and it's gentle enough to clean your makeup brushes! 10/10 would recommend to anyone.
Jerri G.
Albertville, AL
This is a great cleanser.  It removes all traces of makeup, even waterproof mascara.  It has a dreamy texture, smooth and silky, without feeling greasy.  The scent is light and very pleasant.  The most important thing, is it doesn't dry out my face.  It leaves my skin feeling soft and nourished.  Philosophy products are a little pricey, but everything I have tried has been top quality, so I suppose they are worth it.
Amanda S.
Purchased at: Macy's
This is my all time favorite cleanser. I use this in the morning after the exfoliating scrub, and then I use this at night. I am disappointed in the amount you get for the price, however. I would recommend buying a bigger bottle than the 8 oz if you plan on using it twice a day, as the bigger bottles seem to be cheaper, when you compare it to the price of the smaller bottle. I also wish there were a pump to distribute the product.
elena b.
I was happy with this cleanser when I first got it, but over time it started to break me out terribly. I trusted it so much that I didn’t even realize it was the cleanser that was breaking me out so terribly. I went to a dermatologist and started on an acne medication and also birth control trying to calm down the breakouts. The acne medication dried out my skin and made it peel and break out even worse. I felt so ugly and wasted so much money on moisturizer trying to keep my face from cracking. I did some research on cheap moisturizer only for THIS CLEANSER to be brought up in a YouTube video I watched. The girl said that it broke her out and she stopped using it. My heart dropped to my stomach. I had been using this cleanser for a whole year and I was on my second big bottle. No wonder I was breaking out so bad. I stopped using it and my skin is almost perfectly clear now. I know that a lot of people love this cleanser, but if you are having a similar issue where all of a sudden you’re breaking out horribly and you haven’t had that issue before, it could be this cleanser. Just a heads up.
I would say this product does a pretty good job at removing my makeup at the end of the day. It’s very moisturizing and does not dry out my skin like other products. It’s very simple to use and doesn’t cause any irritation or breakouts for me which is very important since I have such sensitive skin. I would reccomend to anyone looking for a quick, simple and easy way to cleanse their skin after a long day .
patty a.
new york, NY
Do you use this product morning and night?
Judy W.
Do you guys think it's worth the price?
Emily P.
Where can you get it
Gladys A.
What do you think about this product?
Holly H.
Valencia, CA
Is this product to clear acne or for those without it to keep it off? I like Philosophy usually, but not sure if this would help get rid of some of my pimples. Know any other Philosophy products that may be better for me?

Macy's