BY PHILOSOPHY #5 in Facial Cleansers

Our award-winning cleanser is loved by all for its multitasking, 3-in-1 approach to cleansing. gently cleanses and melts away face and eye makeup in one simple step, while toning and lightly hydrating. skin is left feeling perfectly clean, comfortable and balanced.

Gently massage a quarter-size amount onto a lightly damp face, and massage for 30-60 seconds. rinse and pat dry. use morning and evening. follow with appropriate treatment and moisturizer.

Ingredients: water (aqua), sodium lauroamphoacetate, sodium trideceth sulfate, limnanthes alba (meadowfoam) seed oil, coco-glucoside, cocos nucifera (coconut) alcohol, peg-120 methyl glucose dioleate, aniba rosaeodora (rosewood) wood oil, geranium maculatum oil, guaiac (guaiacum officinale) extract, cymbopogon martini oil, rosa damascena extract, amyris balsamifera bark oil, santalum album (sandalwood) oil, salvia officinalis (sage) oil, cinnamomum cassia leaf oil, anthemis nobilis flower oil, daucus carota sativa (carrot) seed oil, piper nigrum (pepper) seed extract, polysorbate 20, glycerin, carbomer, triethanolamine, methylparaben, propylparaben, citric acid, imidazolidinyl urea, yellow 5 (ci 19140).

• The ONLY face wash I will use. Takes off every trace of m...3 Answers
  • Is this product oily?5 Answers
  • Who else loves all philosophy products?4 Answers
philosophy purity made simple one-step facial cleanser
  • "This is by far one if my favorite cleansers. I have sensitive, dry & oily, breakout prone skin. This cleanser leaves my skin soft and clean and doesn't irritate or break me out. Plus a little goes a long way, so even though its on the expensive side the bottle lasts forever. " in 1435 reviews
Nicole J.
Knoxville, TN
I was looking for an effective cleanser, more straightfoward than luxe, and not terribly expensive. My sister uses this and swears by it. This cleanses my face without drying or stripping. I have somewhat oily skin and have not suffered any ill effects— redness, irritation, breakouts- from using this. It cleanses effectively, and mercifully, rinses away easily. I moisten skin with a little bit of water and i use a facial brush ($5 from Wal-Mart) to massage this all over into a gentle lather. Alternatively, i will use a small piece soft cloth for that allover massage. I do not get this near my eyes and would caution against this. This formula is fragranced, not strongly, but it is there. Actually, it smells identical to Princess Marcella Borghese’s Crema Saponetta- although that has a good deal more fragrance than this. Since i liked that product, i did not mind the scent using the purity. Pricewise, it is probably more cost-effective to buy the largest size (which i believe has the pump). However, i do not have the counter space for this. Also nice is that Philosophy sells small bottles of this which is perfect if you want to try this out, or for travel or to tuck into your gym bag. I would probably buy the largest size, decant into the smaller bottle (which has a flip cap), and store the large bottle out of sight. The smaller bottles are 2 oz or 3 oz, and are available stand-alone as well as sold in mini-sets paired with the exfoliating wash or their micellar water. I would re-purchase this.
elena b.
I was happy with this cleanser when I first got it, but over time it started to break me out terribly. I trusted it so much that I didn’t even realize it was the cleanser that was breaking me out so terribly. I went to a dermatologist and started on an acne medication and also birth control trying to calm down the breakouts. The acne medication dried out my skin and made it peel and break out even worse. I felt so ugly and wasted so much money on moisturizer trying to keep my face from cracking. I did some research on cheap moisturizer only for THIS CLEANSER to be brought up in a YouTube video I watched. The girl said that it broke her out and she stopped using it. My heart dropped to my stomach. I had been using this cleanser for a whole year and I was on my second big bottle. No wonder I was breaking out so bad. I stopped using it and my skin is almost perfectly clear now. I know that a lot of people love this cleanser, but if you are having a similar issue where all of a sudden you’re breaking out horribly and you haven’t had that issue before, it could be this cleanser. Just a heads up.
Mackenzie S.
Plymouth
This is one of the many products I've purchased after reading a ton of great reviews. And once again, I am not disappointed. This is one of the only facial cleansers I own that has the ability to wash off a days worth of makeup, which has always been a frustration of mine. So when I saw what this product can do I was pleasantly surprised. It is a very gentle and soothing cleanser that is extremely effective. It literally melts away my makeup like I have never seen before. I love it.

The only thing I don't like about this product is the smell. I don't even know what it reminds me of but it isn't the most pleasant. But after reading the ingredients, it is perfectly understandable, and honestly, I deal with it because of how amazing this stuff works.

I also love that there are so many different sized bottles you can purchase. So if you're looking for just a sample size, a jumbo size, or anything in between, they have a bottle for you!

I highly recommend this product and will continue to purchase. I am entirely satisfied with this product and am so happy I purchased it!
Kristin Ann S.
I have not been using this a real long time but I’m shook! I love this! I was using Kate Somerville Cold Cream Moisturizing Cleanser Makeup Remover with Clinique Liquid Facial Soap/Clinique Jumbo Liquid Facial Soap Oily Skin Formula then I switched up my astringent to Clinique Clarifying Lotion 4 with Clinique Dramatically Different™ Moisturizing Gel oil free, then spot treating with Clinique Acne Solutions Clinical Clearing Gel on spots with Clinique Acne Solutions™ Clearing Concealer on the spots during the day & Clinique Moisture Surge™ Overnight Mask & Carmex® Classic Lip Balm Original Jar did my lips & Perricone MD Neuropeptide Firming & Illuminating Under-Eye Cream 0.5 oz/ 15 mL (sent to me by influenster for my honest review in exchange) & lastly Jeffree Star Velour Lip Scrub. That’s my basic skin care & my skin has never looked better. Dropped the Clinique step #1 in favor of Purity/stronger astringent/oil free gel moisturizer. I have very oily skin & normal for me to battle one blemish at a time so it’s not too terrible but I since am the oiliest if the oilies so that’s what I use. This cleanser is amazing. I own 4 of the 2.0oz edt perfume, an rollerball, bodywash, shimmery body spritz spray 8.4oz so you could say I’m a bit of a Philosophy fan! I want to get Miracle Worker, hope in a jcar etc this is me & my friends new fave brand. We are obsessed w Philosophy & it’s not even expen$ive it is $36USD at Ulta for 16oz. So it’s not crazy expensive because Clinique is like $20 for an 8oz bottle so this wasn’t more $ than I was already spending on Clinique & I still use cold cream on my eye area in the morn to take off the eye cream & any excess oil/sebum ~Just eye area I don’t like anything on my eyes except Kate Somerville Cold Cream Moisturizing Cleanser Makeup Remover ideally although I will go back to POND's Cold Cream Cleanser when I’m finito w Kate as she’s $43 eek. That’s what’s working for me. I use wash rags white thin ancient 1s work best! I bleach them! Get them sanitized that a way. FWIW ev nite I do The Original MakeUp Eraser to take off the remains of the day & do the normal skincare regimen (the 1 i do twice a day). HTH! There is hope for oily skin!! & Clean & Clear® Oil Absorbing Sheets are a pre req for my bag., peace out! Is anyone else a product junkie my mom washed her face with soft soap! YMMV!
Elizabeth R.
Hialeah, FL
This cleanser feels light on the skin but does a great job of actually cleansing. I always feel really clean after using this and it never dries my skin. Before I started using this, I couldn't use a cleanser on my face daily because it would dry out my skin. However, this formula is gentle enough that I can use it twice a day, every day, without drying my skin. At first I thought such a light cleanser wouldn't do a job cleaning, but I always have that deep-clean feel after using it, even if I am removing makeup or after a work-out. It has an herbal smell, which normally bothers me, but this product has just the right amount so it's really refreshing. The first time I used this cleanser, I immediately thought, "If they had a foaming version of this, it would be PERFECT." I am used to foaming cleansers, and this does not foam up at all. Well, lucky for me, there is a foaming version! However, I am still giving this one 5 stars because I'd be happy to buy it again even if there wasn't a foaming alternative.
KayLeigh L.
I purchased this to go along with my CLARISONIC Mia 2 Sonic Skin Cleansing System and it works wonders with or without the Mia. I like to use my hands for a gentle cleanse, and the Mia for a more thorough cleanse if I’ve had a sweaty day or wore a lot of make up. I debated on purchasing this cleanser for about a month because it is a little bit pricey but I found it at Sephora and it came with a free philosophy hope in a jar so I bought it and couldn’t be happier. I have dry and sensitive skin. This is great to remove impurities and not strip my skin of what little oil I have, too. I will purchase again and I want to try the philosophy The Microdelivery Exfoliating Facial Wash Limited Edition 4 oz/ 118 mL as well!
Denise S.
San Diego, CA
While I typically love Philosophy products, Purity Made Simple facial cleanser didn't "wow" me as much as I would have expected based on countless reviews I've seen.

I do believe this cleanser would work nicely for those with super sensitive skin, or people that don't wear a lot of makeup. It's non-irritating, and a little goes a long way. However, it's not a powerhouse product when it comes to removing stubborn eye makeup or even foundation. I still had to use a makeup wipe and my usual eye makeup remover to get everything off.

If a product claims to provide multiple benefits, I expect it to do just that. Purity Made Simple fell short of my expectations, and considering the price I feel there are more effective cleansers out there. If you just want a basic cleanser, this will probably work for you. However, don't expect it to work miracles on a full face of makeup!
Amanda F.
Tampa
HOLY GRAIL face wash!!! This cleanser is so gentle yet SO effective. I really struggled for about 3 years to find a facial cleanser that didn't leave my skin feeling stripped but also wanted it to remove dirt and makeup. So after many failed attempts with other cleansers I decided to try this one and I have never looked back! It really is so gentle leaves my face feeling clean and soft. I don't immediately get the tight feeling when I dry my face like I did with other cleansers and my face has never gotten oily from it later on in the day. It's super effective at removing makeup. I've never had to go back and wash my face twice. I actually use this cleanser to wash my makeup brushes and it works like a dream. I literally have this cleanser in every size, 3oz for travel, 16 oz for the shower, and the big boy 32oz right by my sink with the pump. It is seriously the best thing I have done for my skin and I stand behind it 100%.
Lauren R.
East meadow, NY
I have tried a zillion different cleansers, and always end up back with this one. It's very mild and non-irritating, and acts as a cleanser and toner. The Philosophy website recently had a promotion with travel-sized freebies, so I took full advantage and stocked up! I keep the small ones in my gym bag, and the big bottle with the pump in my shower. I use this morning and night, followed by the micro scrub. I love how fresh and clean my face feels afterwards, and it does not seem to irritate my very sensitive breakout prone skin. It's a win for me. I generally try to use product that are free of harsh chemicals, dyes, fragrances, etc. This is definitely NOT guilt-free in that department, but sometimes you just have to go with what works for your skin!
Derricka M.
I purchased the mini size version of this product from Sephora. It doesn't leather extremely well it's maybe a product you would have to use with an electric brush to really penetrate the skin and get the benefits that the product claims to give. Overall my face feels pretty clean after using it the smell is minty. It feels cooling on my face. The packaging is pretty sleek and smooth. philosophy purity made simple one-step facial cleanser
patty a.
Do you use this product morning and night?
Judy W.
Do you guys think it's worth the price?
Emily P.
Where can you get it
Gladys A.
What do you think about this product?
Holly H.
Valencia, CA
Is this product to clear acne or for those without it to keep it off? I like Philosophy usually, but not sure if this would help get rid of some of my pimples. Know any other Philosophy products that may be better for me?

back
philosophy purity made simple one-step facial cleanserInfluenster Beauty Awards Winner 2018
philosophy