Add a Photo

By PHILOSOPHY
#2 in Facial Cleansers

Our award-winning cleanser is loved by all for its multitasking, 3-in-1 approach to cleansing. gently cleanses and melts away face and eye makeup in one simple step, while toning and lightly hydrating. skin is left feeling perfectly clean, comfortable and balanced.

Gently massage a quarter-size amount onto a lightly damp face, and massage for 30-60 seconds. rinse and pat dry. use morning and evening. follow with appropriate treatment and moisturizer.

Ingredients: water (aqua), sodium lauroamphoacetate, sodium trideceth sulfate, limnanthes alba (meadowfoam) seed oil, coco-glucoside, cocos nucifera (coconut) alcohol, peg-120 methyl glucose dioleate, aniba rosaeodora (rosewood) wood oil, geranium maculatum oil, guaiac (guaiacum officinale) extract, cymbopogon martini oil, rosa damascena extract, amyris balsamifera bark oil, santalum album (sandalwood) oil, salvia officinalis (sage) oil, cinnamomum cassia leaf oil, anthemis nobilis flower oil, daucus carota sativa (carrot) seed oil, piper nigrum (pepper) seed extract, polysorbate 20, glycerin, carbomer, triethanolamine, methylparaben, propylparaben, citric acid, imidazolidinyl urea, yellow 5 (ci 19140).

Photos (261)
Caitlyn M.
Caitlyn M.
Philosophy's Purity Made Simple One-Step Facial Cleanser has been (and will continue to be) my go-to facial cleanser! I have used this product for almost two years and it continues to keep my skin looking/feeling its best.

In the last couple of years, my skin has become more sensitive. I'm attributing that to age and hormones (hooray...). I struggle with redness in my cheeks, some acne scarring around my chin, and I'm prone to dry patches in my T-zone. This cleanser does not aggravate my sensitive skin! I have used it with my fingers and with my Clarisonic Mia 2. Regardless of how I apply this creamy, luxurious-feeling cleanser, my skin never feels tight or dry after rinsing off. I have used some other cleansers that immediately result in worsening dry patches that no moisturizer can fix. Although I haven't noticed any major improvement in my skin tone or acne scars, my skin's texture has evened out and I rarely get breakouts. This cleanser leaves my skin feeling clean, refreshed, and balanced!

Philosophy's Purity Made Simple facial cleanser has a very light, "earthy" scent- very natural and non-irritating. If you are looking for something more perfume-y, this product is not for you.

Although the price can seem a little steep and scary ($11 for 3oz up to $55 for 32oz), I have found it to be worth every penny! I will repurchase this product over and over again!
Suzette G.
Suzette G.
I see why it has such a strong following of people. This is a "one-step facial cleanser" that cleanses, tones, and moisturizes all in one step. I wash my face in the am and pm and use about a nickel size when using this product. The smell is wonderful!-clean and calming unlike many cleansers which is very awful smelling. I do not even have to use eye makeup remover before using purity, I just use circular motions all over my face including my eyebrows ( I wear eyebrow makeup) and eyelids (I wear eyeshadow primer, eyeshadow, liquid eyeliner on top, pencil eyeliner on bottom, and mascara) and all of it comes off without any irritation or residue. My face feels clean, smells excellent, and is makeup free. I also cleanse my neck and decollete that way and it feels great on both! Upon drying my face it is soft, looks bright, and I can move right onto my serum and moisturizer. The 8 oz bottle is around $23 but depending on how much of a squirt you use it may last you between a month to three months. I have been using other Philosophy products and am very happy with my purchases! I will continue to purchase this purity cleanser.
Mayra R.
Mayra R.
I was considering purchasing this product for awhile but the price made me hesitate. I have never spent that much on a facial product and I wasn't sure it was worth the hype. But there was a promotion that was too good to resist and I purchased a few even though I wasn't sure it would work for me. I am happy to report that I love this cleanser. It's perfect with my Clarisonic and even when I use it just with my hands I can feel a difference from my old cleansers. My skin feels refreshed and soft. I notice my skin starts to clear up but because I'm not consistent with my routine yet break outs occur when I forget to use it for a day or two. I don't know if it's the end all be all in regards to breakouts but it doesn't claim to be either so I still give it 5 stars. I also have sensitive skin and I am super sensitive to scents but this product has no issues for me whatsoever. If you're on the fence like I was just try the trial size. A little goes a long way so it will last for awhile. Even with the small sample pack I was able to get like 3-4 washes so just try it already.
Octavia T.
Octavia T.
I love the fact that this cleanser is very gentle yet effective at removing makeup and impurities. I purchased a small bottle of it to try out and I used it to help remove makeup. It was pretty effective at removing every drop. I honestly think this cleanser is better used for removing makeup exclusively and not for daily use (for me). It doesn't really produce suds because it's loaded with oils, which are excellent for emulsifying and removing makeup, I think that's what also makes it so gentle. Since I don't wear makeup often, I don't have much use for it. I don't feel like this gives me that sufficient clean that I look for daily and with the oil content, I am afraid it can eventually lead to breakouts with continued daily use since that's exactly what happens anytime I put oils on my face. Overall I loved it for removing eye makeup but I could probably just grab any oil I have on hand for the same effect seeing that I wouldn't reach for this often, wearing makeup only a few times a year. I said makeup a lot.
Erica S.
Erica S.
Beauty Junkie Expert
MY HOLY GRAIL GO-TO FACIAL CLEANSER!* Any skin type can use and benefit from this one-step cleanser by Philosophy. It deep cleans pores & eliminates all traces of makeup, while hydrating the skin as it melts away the makeup & is gentle on the skin with natural ingredients that help condition the skin. A tiny dime size does your whole face, leaving your skin looking & feeling fresh, clean and hydrated without every becoming oily. I have oily to combo skin & never once had a break out from it. Ive been using this for about 2 years now rigorously & i remember after just week 2 of use my skin already was softer, brighter, more even-tone and more smooth texture. Imagine now?! I always get compliments. My fav thing is if i do randomly get a breakout, i'll wash my face twice thay day & by the next day my pimple will either be completely gone or the least reduced in size tremendously. Love this! I always know my skin is fully clean after using the 1 step cleanser #philosophy #purity
Jenah L.
Jenah L.
Weirdly enough, I like taking my makeup off just as much as I like putting it on. I have used this cleanser for YEARS as the first step of my night routine. Here's a few reasons why I LOVE Purity and will never use anything else:

1. It's a gentle cleanser
•This is a very gentle, yet deep cleaning cleanser. It's fragrance free, suitable for all skin types and even gentle enough to use around your eye area. Although I don't have sensitive skin, I have friends who do and have not had any irritation or redness after using this cleanser. It also hydrates and tones skin!!

2. It deep cleans
•This cleanser takes off EVERYTHING (dirt, makeup, oil and even the most stubborn, waterproof makeup you have!) I haven't had to use eye makeup remover in YEARS since I started using this product. My face feels clean and hydrated, without any feeling of a residue.

I could go on and on about this product but instead I'll let you see for yourself..go to Sephora/Ulta ASAP and purchase!
Rachel B.
Rachel B.
Saint Clair, MO
Skin Type: Dry, Dehydrated, Sensitive

The product is great as a second cleanser; it really gets the rest of my makeup off. It really gets your face clean without drying it out. It has a very light scent that is very refreshing. It is very creamy and has a tiny amount of foam. I do have eczema on my face that is pretty well controlled but I do have red patches from time to time that I like to cover up with foundation. With this cleanser, I am able to take off my makeup without making my eczema more irritated and this really hydrates my skin when it is feeling a bit dry. I feel like reviews are all over the place for this product most being good, but what I really like is that they sell this product in so many sizes from 3oz to 32oz, so it’s great if you want to try it. I started out with the 3oz and it lasted about a month so definitely gave me a nice amount of time to try it. Downside, I feel like this product has a lot of different chemicals in it.
Meesha K.
Meesha K.
Los Angeles, CA
This cleanser is best suited for normal to mildly combination skin. It doesn't make your skin feel tight or dry after use. It does remove makeup in addition to generally cleansing your face, but when I do wear makeup (CC cream, eye shadow, blush, etc.) I feel the need to double cleanse (first using an oil-based makeup remover followed by this cleanser and my Clarisonic. I do get breakouts occasional and although this cleanser doesn't irritate my skin, it does not provide any acne-fighting benefits either. Some people claim that this cleanser is also nice for brush cleaning, but in my experience it does not work very well as a brush cleanser. Overall, I would recommend it - mainly to people with normal complexion, who are looking for a hassle free, fairly affordable (high-end) cleanser for use with Clarisonic.
Sophia G.
Sophia G.
Tonawanda, NY
I cannot say enough good things about this face wash! The price tag may come as a shock (16 oz for $24) but it lasts. I bought my first 16 oz bottle of it on 1/23/16 and I have 11/12 of the bottle left. I have barely made a dent in the bottle! You use so little product and it does the job so well. It cleanses your face, takes off your eye makeup; it's also ph balanced so you don't need to use a toner afterwards. Your skin feels clean but not tight after using.

It has a distinct smell. I categorize as an invigorating black pepper-ish scent! (But being pregnant, my nose could be off!) If you're on the fence about it, ask for a sample at Sephora or Ulta. They have the tester out and can hook you up with a sample. If they don't do samples at your stores, there are tiny trial versions you can buy for under $10.

rosa t.
rosa t.
San jose, CA
This is the best facial cleanser ever! I try to catch it on sale whenever because I know it is a bit pricey. Sephora has had it on sale during the Black Friday and recently I was able to get a free 8 ounce bottle with any purchase at philosophy website. It removes my complete face of makeup but not completely around the eyes and that is because I do not like to rub my eyes while I wash my face. I do remove the rest of the eye makeup with eye makeup remover after I am done washing my face with this cleanser. Does not dry out my face and really love it for that. I have dry skin in this cleanser makes my skin happy. I also use it to cleanse my hair once a month to remove any hair product buildup and hard water. It is amazing how soft my hair feels after I use this for my once a month hair cleansing treatment!
patty a.
patty a.
Bronx, NY
Do you use this product morning and night?
Judy W.
Judy W.
Do you guys think it's worth the price?
Emily P.
Emily P.
Beauty Junkie Expert
Where can you get it
Holly H.
Holly H.
Valencia, CA
Is this product to clear acne or for those without it to keep it off? I like Philosophy usually, but not sure if this would help get rid of some of my pimples. Know any other Philosophy products that may be better for me?
Gladys A.
Gladys A.
What do you think about this product?