BY PHILOSOPHY #2 in Facial Cleansers

Our award-winning cleanser is loved by all for its multitasking, 3-in-1 approach to cleansing. gently cleanses and melts away face and eye makeup in one simple step, while toning and lightly hydrating. skin is left feeling perfectly clean, comfortable and balanced.

Gently massage a quarter-size amount onto a lightly damp face, and massage for 30-60 seconds. rinse and pat dry. use morning and evening. follow with appropriate treatment and moisturizer.

Ingredients: water (aqua), sodium lauroamphoacetate, sodium trideceth sulfate, limnanthes alba (meadowfoam) seed oil, coco-glucoside, cocos nucifera (coconut) alcohol, peg-120 methyl glucose dioleate, aniba rosaeodora (rosewood) wood oil, geranium maculatum oil, guaiac (guaiacum officinale) extract, cymbopogon martini oil, rosa damascena extract, amyris balsamifera bark oil, santalum album (sandalwood) oil, salvia officinalis (sage) oil, cinnamomum cassia leaf oil, anthemis nobilis flower oil, daucus carota sativa (carrot) seed oil, piper nigrum (pepper) seed extract, polysorbate 20, glycerin, carbomer, triethanolamine, methylparaben, propylparaben, citric acid, imidazolidinyl urea, yellow 5 (ci 19140).

• The ONLY face wash I will use. Takes off every trace of m...3 Answers
  • Is this product oily?5 Answers
  • Who else loves all philosophy products?4 Answers
Buy on Sephora*
  • "This is by far one if my favorite cleansers. I have sensitive, dry & oily, breakout prone skin. This cleanser leaves my skin soft and clean and doesn't irritate or break me out. Plus a little goes a long way, so even though its on the expensive side the bottle lasts forever. " in 1435 reviews
Nicole J.
Knoxville, TN
I was looking for an effective cleanser, more straightfoward than luxe, and not terribly expensive. My sister uses this and swears by it. This cleanses my face without drying or stripping. I have somewhat oily skin and have not suffered any ill effects— redness, irritation, breakouts- from using this. It cleanses effectively, and mercifully, rinses away easily. I moisten skin with a little bit of water and i use a facial brush ($5 from Wal-Mart) to massage this all over into a gentle lather. Alternatively, i will use a small piece soft cloth for that allover massage. I do not get this near my eyes and would caution against this. This formula is fragranced, not strongly, but it is there. Actually, it smells identical to Princess Marcella Borghese’s Crema Saponetta- although that has a good deal more fragrance than this. Since i liked that product, i did not mind the scent using the purity. Pricewise, it is probably more cost-effective to buy the largest size (which i believe has the pump). However, i do not have the counter space for this. Also nice is that Philosophy sells small bottles of this which is perfect if you want to try this out, or for travel or to tuck into your gym bag. I would probably buy the largest size, decant into the smaller bottle (which has a flip cap), and store the large bottle out of sight. The smaller bottles are 2 oz or 3 oz, and are available stand-alone as well as sold in mini-sets paired with the exfoliating wash or their micellar water. I would re-purchase this.
elena b.
I was happy with this cleanser when I first got it, but over time it started to break me out terribly. I trusted it so much that I didn’t even realize it was the cleanser that was breaking me out so terribly. I went to a dermatologist and started on an acne medication and also birth control trying to calm down the breakouts. The acne medication dried out my skin and made it peel and break out even worse. I felt so ugly and wasted so much money on moisturizer trying to keep my face from cracking. I did some research on cheap moisturizer only for THIS CLEANSER to be brought up in a YouTube video I watched. The girl said that it broke her out and she stopped using it. My heart dropped to my stomach. I had been using this cleanser for a whole year and I was on my second big bottle. No wonder I was breaking out so bad. I stopped using it and my skin is almost perfectly clear now. I know that a lot of people love this cleanser, but if you are having a similar issue where all of a sudden you’re breaking out horribly and you haven’t had that issue before, it could be this cleanser. Just a heads up.
Elizabeth R.
Hialeah, FL
This cleanser feels light on the skin but does a great job of actually cleansing. I always feel really clean after using this and it never dries my skin. Before I started using this, I couldn't use a cleanser on my face daily because it would dry out my skin. However, this formula is gentle enough that I can use it twice a day, every day, without drying my skin. At first I thought such a light cleanser wouldn't do a job cleaning, but I always have that deep-clean feel after using it, even if I am removing makeup or after a work-out. It has an herbal smell, which normally bothers me, but this product has just the right amount so it's really refreshing. The first time I used this cleanser, I immediately thought, "If they had a foaming version of this, it would be PERFECT." I am used to foaming cleansers, and this does not foam up at all. Well, lucky for me, there is a foaming version! However, I am still giving this one 5 stars because I'd be happy to buy it again even if there wasn't a foaming alternative.
Kristi R.
Sylmar
I've used this facewash for years and for the first 75% of that time, i was amazing. My skin looks bright and clear and people commented that I had good skin and I thought, well damn... the only thing I'm using is Purity and a toner. BUT my skin changed when I turned 36 and the face wash started making my cheeks flaky and pulling the oils out of my T zone. I switched moisturizers and toners thinking it was that but nope. Ended up changing the cleanser and my skin likes a different one better. I still had a whole bottle tho. So I thought and decided, I wonder if it'll help my scalp cuz I have really greasy hair. I can wash it in the morning and by the night, it looks dirty again. So, I put a tiny amount on my finger tips, massaged it into my scalp, left it in and then just shampoo'd and conditioned like normal and OMG! Tell me if didn't help! So it gets 5 starts for being good product but maybe not the best facewash for me. My scalp fricking loves it tho! lol
KayLeigh L.
Winston Salem, NC
I purchased this to go along with my CLARISONIC Mia 2 Sonic Skin Cleansing System and it works wonders with or without the Mia. I like to use my hands for a gentle cleanse, and the Mia for a more thorough cleanse if I’ve had a sweaty day or wore a lot of make up. I debated on purchasing this cleanser for about a month because it is a little bit pricey but I found it at Sephora and it came with a free philosophy hope in a jar so I bought it and couldn’t be happier. I have dry and sensitive skin. This is great to remove impurities and not strip my skin of what little oil I have, too. I will purchase again and I want to try the philosophy The Microdelivery Exfoliating Facial Wash Limited Edition 4 oz/ 118 mL as well!
Denise S.
San Diego, CA
While I typically love Philosophy products, Purity Made Simple facial cleanser didn't "wow" me as much as I would have expected based on countless reviews I've seen.

I do believe this cleanser would work nicely for those with super sensitive skin, or people that don't wear a lot of makeup. It's non-irritating, and a little goes a long way. However, it's not a powerhouse product when it comes to removing stubborn eye makeup or even foundation. I still had to use a makeup wipe and my usual eye makeup remover to get everything off.

If a product claims to provide multiple benefits, I expect it to do just that. Purity Made Simple fell short of my expectations, and considering the price I feel there are more effective cleansers out there. If you just want a basic cleanser, this will probably work for you. However, don't expect it to work miracles on a full face of makeup!
Laura H.
Philosophy purity made simple one-step facial cleanser is a 3 in 1 gentle cleanser that gently removes face and eye makeup, hydrates and tones.  It's award winning formula is the number 1 facial cleanser in the US.

On my eighth bottle!!  After nearly a year of use my skin feels more balanced and healthy than with other facial cleansers. It works well to simply cleanse the face and neck as well as  to remove facial and eye makeup.  It has a light barely detectible clean scent.  It leaves skin balanced, not too oily or dry, conditions skin with oil extracts, deep cleans pores and eliminates gunky makeup buildup.
Downside is that the oily part of my skin sometimes needs something stronger after strenuous workouts so sometimes I use a stronger cleanser and follow it with Philosophy purity made simple to balance my skin after getting out the grime.

Pro Tip:  Massage into face a minute or  longer before getting into the shower and let it soak into your skin then rinse during your shower.  The heat from the shower helps push the product for a deeper cleaning.

---lqhw♡♡♡
Lauren R.
East meadow, NY
I have tried a zillion different cleansers, and always end up back with this one. It's very mild and non-irritating, and acts as a cleanser and toner. The Philosophy website recently had a promotion with travel-sized freebies, so I took full advantage and stocked up! I keep the small ones in my gym bag, and the big bottle with the pump in my shower. I use this morning and night, followed by the micro scrub. I love how fresh and clean my face feels afterwards, and it does not seem to irritate my very sensitive breakout prone skin. It's a win for me. I generally try to use product that are free of harsh chemicals, dyes, fragrances, etc. This is definitely NOT guilt-free in that department, but sometimes you just have to go with what works for your skin!
Derricka M.
I purchased the mini size version of this product from Sephora. It doesn't leather extremely well it's maybe a product you would have to use with an electric brush to really penetrate the skin and get the benefits that the product claims to give. Overall my face feels pretty clean after using it the smell is minty. It feels cooling on my face. The packaging is pretty sleek and smooth. philosophy purity made simple one-step facial cleanser
Emily K.
Rochester Hills
I received this mini/travel sized bottle as a free gift with purchase and have been really impressed so far. This cleans my make up better than any other cleanser I have tried. It is gentle for my sensitive skin and for my electric FOREO LUNA play Purple!! I have used this cleanser with and without the Foreo and think it performs well both ways. The Purity Cleanser is safe to clean eyes with. It also doesn’t really have a smell, which I consider to be a positive for sensitive/healthy skin since there are less harsh chemicals! I will be buying the full sized product soon to replace the mini.
patty a.
NEW YORK, NY
Do you use this product morning and night?
Judy W.
Do you guys think it's worth the price?
Emily P.
Where can you get it
Gladys A.
What do you think about this product?
Holly H.
Valencia, CA
Is this product to clear acne or for those without it to keep it off? I like Philosophy usually, but not sure if this would help get rid of some of my pimples. Know any other Philosophy products that may be better for me?