by Petco
  • 3925 Reviews
  • 118 Q&A
Ask a Question
New Oxford, PA

How to you handle taking your pet to Petco with other dogs/cats around and have you noticed if your pet gets fleas after being around others animals at the store?
Dec. 22, 2015, 8:11 p.m.
I tend to try and go when the store isn't busy and avoid other animals due to the fact that I have gone to those stores and a few days later my dogs have had flea or starts to itch really bad.
Allison W.
Allison W.
Sept. 26, 2013, 11:34 a.m.
My dog used to get very anxious in the store, but she has gotten used to being around the other animals at the store. She loves it now!
Courtney L.
Courtney L.
Sept. 21, 2013, 2:53 p.m.
My dog loves other animals and is all kinds of hyper but putting him in a harness does the trick. As long as your dog is on some type of flea treatment you shouldn't have to worry about getting them from other animals in the store.
Heidi B.
Heidi B.
Sept. 20, 2013, 12:29 a.m.
My dog is pretty well behaved so we don't have much of a problem when we take him. Of course he gets excited when he sees another dog, animal, whatever but no big deal.....he's happy. As far as fleas go, we haven't had a problem. We treat him every month for fleas just in case he comes in contact with other animals. We use Hartz brand that treats fleas, their eggs and larvae. We have never had a flea in our home or found one on him. The stuff works great.
Alyssa C.
Alyssa C.
Sept. 19, 2013, 11:11 a.m.
I was afraid to take my dog into the store with me at first because she gets overly excited when she sees other dogs and is absolutely terrified and becomes defensive when she sees cats however, I found that if I put her in a body harness and let her sniff out what she likes in the aisles she does really well. I haven't had any problems in fact, the one day I used the groomer inside of petsmart to have her nails trimmed since I was there anyways and she made a new friend and frequently have play dates with her new found friend.
Amaris B.
Amaris B.
Sept. 13, 2013, 3:28 p.m.
My dog has not gotten fleas when going to Petco. I imagine that the employees try to keep it a flea free environment. My dog does love to make friends, so handling can be challenging. I find it best to take treats with me for when his attention goes astray. Find something your dog likes (a special toy or treat) and take it with you.
Audrey O.
Audrey O.
Sept. 10, 2013, 11:16 a.m.
My animals are trained to walk next to me at all times. They are kept on a short leash and I am completely aware of who is around me at all times. And no my animals do not get fleas because they are treated every month so that they do not get fleas from outside or anyone else.,
Christina B.
Christina B.
Sept. 8, 2013, 8:08 p.m.
My dog is pretty obedient so I've never really had a problem with barking or getting rowdy in the stores. She mostly just interest in everything going on around her and her short attention span keeps her mind busy.
Katherine F.
Katherine F.
Sept. 7, 2013, 12:51 a.m.
I have taken both of my dogs to petco on multiple occaisions. I've never had a problem with my dogs ending up with flea's after visiting the store. Though I must point out I use a monthly flea treatment. When using a monthly flea treatment once the flea has bit the products claim the flea dies within 24 hours i believe. So if you are concerned about your pet getting fleas from a visit, if you use flea treatment it shouldn't happen regardless.
Jennifer S.
Jennifer S.
Sept. 6, 2013, 5:09 p.m.
Ive never had an issue either. Ive taken Bella tons to the store. She is on flea and tick meds so I don't have to worry. Her shots are UTD also.
Dawn P.
Dawn P.
Sept. 5, 2013, 10:41 p.m.
Cat's are best to be in a crate when going into the store - they will be more comfortable. Dog's are interested in everyone there - other dogs.....to other people & all toy's within reach - it is natural they want to check it all out - The customer's there are pet friendly & won't mind if your dog approaches them - Allow the dog to check them (other dogs or people) out - if they attempt to jump or get aggressive - command in stern alpha voice "NO" or "DOWN" - if it continues - repeat command & redirect the dog, either by leaving that area or finding something to gain their attention ie: a toy or treat.
Amanda B.
Amanda B.
Sept. 5, 2013, 3:11 p.m.
I have never had any problem with other pets there.
Heather V.
Heather V.
Sept. 5, 2013, 1:02 a.m.
I've never had a bad experience with other people's animals in Petco. And my dogs have never got fleas in the store either. :)
Jean E.
Jean E.
Sept. 4, 2013, 4:36 p.m.
We've never had an issue with our dogs getting fleas from going to Petco! He seems to do fine with the other animals there as he is used to seeing neighbors dogs just about everyday.
Krystal G.
Krystal G.
Sept. 4, 2013, 12:15 p.m.
My dog is small and I usually carry her, so it makes it easy to transport her
Meredith W.
Meredith W.
Sept. 3, 2013, 3:29 p.m.
We take our 2 dogs to Petco with us about once a month. We use their training collars so we can better control them around other dogs and they do just fine. We have never had a problem with our dogs getting fleas from other pets in the store.
Dana H.
Dana H.
Sept. 3, 2013, 2:40 p.m.
I've taken both of my dogs in, I have never had any flea issues from it. Sadly fleas are a part of life I make sure to use a spot treatment now which has worked great, we used to use a pill but ticks have been horrible this year and the spot treatment helps repel ticks as well as fleas. I also make sure to keep my dogs close and under control we use the gentle leader with both of them which helps tremendously.
Nicole B.
Nicole B.
Sept. 2, 2013, 5:19 p.m.
I just wouldn't take my cat there. Or keep it very close to you!
Kimberleigh S.
Kimberleigh S.
Sept. 2, 2013, 5:07 p.m.
I hqave taken my dog in a few times. We keep her on leash. If she gets interested in another dog (usually does), we let them play, basically the same as running into dogs on the street. Of course if she doesn't like a particular dog we keep them away from each other but its never been a problem. There's never been any problem with fleas.
Warren P.
Warren P.
Sept. 2, 2013, 3:19 p.m.
I've taken my dog to Petco a few times, and I've never run in to an issue. I just make sure she's on a leash, and I'm aware of what other animals are nearby. She's never gotten fleas. Hope this helps!
Rebecca B.
Rebecca B.
Sept. 2, 2013, 1:41 p.m.
If you decide to take your dog to petco, keep them on a short leash, have treats in your pocket to distract them if they get too focused on something, and use it as a learning experience. Also ask before you let your dog run up to others; that makes sure everyone is aware and can keep an eye on behavior.
Michelle C.
Michelle C.
Sept. 2, 2013, 9:17 a.m.
I only take my dog to Petco when they have low-cost vaccinations there. When I do, she is on a leash w/ harness so that I can keep her under control (she's quite hyper). I have not noticed her getting fleas when being at the store
Kandra A.
Kandra A.
Sept. 2, 2013, 12:12 a.m.
Our pups are way to unruly to be taken in there without embarrassing us.
Jennifer M.
Jennifer M.
Sept. 1, 2013, 9:25 p.m.
I don't take my cat into Petco due to dogs being there. She would freak out!
kiairah p.
kiairah p.
Sept. 1, 2013, 8:22 p.m.
I put my dog on the leash before going into the store. My shih Tzu is small enough to be picked up, but he prefer to walk when around other dogs. I keep him close to me and we haven't any problems. I haven't had any issues with fleas. However, be extremely careful of kennel cough, it is contiguous to dogs. And is pass the same why we contract colds from others.

Join Now