Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief uploaded by Athilah B.

BY CHRIS COLUMBUS

Trouble-prone teen Percy Jackson is about to be kicked out of school – but that's the least of his problems. The gods of Mount Olympus and assorted monsters seem to have walked out of the pages of Percy's Greek mythology texts and into his life – and they're not happy. Zeus' lightning bolt has been stolen, and Percy is the prime suspect. Now, Percy and his friends must return Zeus' stolen property and unravel a mystery more powerful than the gods themselves.

• Book or Movie?19 Answers
  • Which one do you think is better,the movie or the book?6 Answers
  • Is this an all ages book- good for kids and adults or is ...7 Answers
Claudia S.
Dallas, TX
Pop Culture Expert Level 1
Read this book in elementary and the book was awesome!! The movie had me hooked as well but the book just better lol the movie was similar to the book the fight and all he was cute lol I would watch shin
Makensie F.
New Carlisle, OH
Love this book!!!!!! It is so good and so accurate to Greek mythology!! This book is filled with adventure and romance!! My favorite part is the end it is such a great book and worth the read!! Definitely worth it!
Emily M.
Nelsonville, OH
These books along with the movies were great. I absolutely love mythology and these books showed it so well. The movie was just as good as the books. Had strong characters and actors playing them. It's a must watch
Lucy P.
I personally liked the book so much more. They left out a lot in the movie and they changed a lot of the plot. I think it was an ok movie, but I wish they hadn't left out so much.
Gissela E.
Laredo, TX
I can’t give it a bad review (even though it’s completely different from the books) because the movie is what got me into the Percy Jackson series which led to The Heroes of Olympus and the Apollo Trials
Sarah D.
Pop Culture Expert Level 1
I read all five books of Percy Jackson & The Olympians and currently the 2nd series. I must say it was a good collaboration of Greek mythology and modern events. I like the story as well as the characters. However, the movie was quite disappointing. I wasn't expecting anything in the movie but I was disappointed how the story changed. After reading the book, I was excited to see how the cabins would look like, the fight b/w Clarisse and Percy in bathroom, how Iris-messaging worked and a lot more things I would like to see. But the movie didn't even show it. On the lighter note, the actors were great. I liked Percy (Logan Lerman), Grover (Brandon T. Jackson) and Persephone (Rosario Dawson). I loved the view of Underworld and the Olympus. I could imagine how it will look like during the Titan war.
Joni S.
Smithville, TN
Ok I want to start with this is not just a kids movie my whole family loves Percy Jackson. It has such a great and interesting story line I had to go and read all the books. The only bummer to this is I think they should have made all the books to movie format. I love the Greek mythology that is mixed in to make for a great current style movie. I do admit that the books blow the movie out of the water. They left tons out of the movie and changed stuff a lot for the movie.
Freddra R.
Homestead, FL
Pop Culture Expert Level 1
NOTHING. LIKE. THE. BOOK. And I understand that it cant be "spot on", but the directer threw this into the trash. Take Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice, for example. There was copyright, there were author's rights and the movie, somehow, still managed to satisfy it's audience, including those that hadn't read the actual book. I didn't think the actor portrayed his role correctly, mainly because Percy IS 12 YEARS OLD.
Heather P.
I just finished the first book in the series. and I had already seen the movie... now I am not impressed with the movie at all! not by any means! the book was ten times better! much more about the gods and his back story. now I know you can't just a movie by it's book, but really? the messed up a lot stuff... and they also put stuff in that never happened and won't happen at all to Percy.
Melanie L.
Santa Monica, CA
The worst movie to book adaptation I've ever seen. The characters are supposed to be TWELVE, not TWENTY. The basic plot was similar but everything else was just wrong.
From a cinematic standpoint, the movie was ok. I will give it that. As a stand alone, it was a pretty good movie.
However, the reader inside me screams whenever I watch it because it does not do the books justice and now no one will remake the movies
Natalie A.
Sevierville, TN
Book or Movie?
Royshada S.
Who read the series?
Rachael W.
Titusville, FL
Pop Culture Expert Level 4
Which character is your fave?
Jenny L.
Brooklyn, NY
Anyone read the book?
Jaleh N.
Lutherville, MD
Is this an all ages book- good for kids and adults or is it better for teens? How similar is it to Harry Potter?