BY PAYPAL #10 in Apps

Online payment service for individuals and merchants. Allows users to send money and bills to anyone with e-mail.

Paypal
  • "I use PayPal for all my online purchases as it's safe and it make it easy way to use it in the stores without taking out your credit card." in 49 reviews
  • "I legit love PayPal so much that I dread when websites don't work with it, it makes things so much easier, nobody wants to continue putting their credit card information when they just wanna do some online shopping " in 36 reviews
  • "I've been using PayPal for years to make secure online purchases and for money transfers from my boyfriend that is currently stationed in Japan." in 30 reviews
  • "I also love how you have the option to get a debit card from them instead of waiting DAYS and DAYS for the money to transfer to your bank account." in 27 reviews
  • "It makes shopping and paying for things online so much easier and I know that my information will be kept secure and that the payment will be successful." in 23 reviews
Hillary M.
Houston , TX
MY LIFE revolves around PayPal. I use it for literally everything, from paying the babysitter to making stock trades. Here's a quick tutorial direct from the company.
typical PayPal transaction sequence:
1. The transaction starts when a customer (let’s call her Mary Ann) comes to your website. Let’s say Mary Ann finds a sweater she wants to purchase and clicks the Buy button on the product page. At this point, PayPal gets to work behind the scenes.

2. Mary Ann sees a shopping cart or checkout page next. Depending on the type of PayPal service you choose, she might see a shopping cart page integrated with your website. In other instances, she’ll see a shopping cart or checkout page hosted at the PayPal site (branded with your business’s logo).

3. After reviewing the checkout page, Mary Ann clicks the Pay Now button. This directs her to a payment page, hosted by PayPal. If you choose PayPal Payments Standard, your customer will be taken to the PayPal site to complete the transaction. With PayPal Payments Pro, that process is integrated into your site, so Mary Ann never leaves it.

4. If she has a PayPal account of her own, Mary Ann can simply enter her username and password, and the rest of her personal information – address, phone number, etc. – is retrieved from our database and automatically entered onto the payment form. (If Mary Ann doesn’t have a PayPal account, she can create one.)

At the PayPal login, she’ll also see the option to “Stay logged in for faster purchases.” Called One Touch, this feature keeps her logged in on the device she’s using, so if she comes back to your site or another site using PayPal, buying is even faster and easier.

At this point, her PayPal transaction is complete. If she chooses to pay with a credit or debit card, she’ll continue through the following steps.

5. If Mary Ann chooses to pay with a credit or debit card, she’ll enter her contact and card information in the web form and then clicks the Pay button to authorize payment. Behind the scenes, Mary Ann’s credit card information is encrypted and transmitted to PayPal, and then we contact the issuing bank for Mary Ann’s credit card. Assuming that her credit line can cover the purchase, the issuing bank authorizes the transaction, and the sale is approved. This process only takes a few seconds.

Note: All PayPal transactions take place on web pages that utilize Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) encryption. This protects your customer’s personal data from prying electronic eyes and identity thieves.

6. Mary Ann sees a confirmation page with a message (sent by us) that says her purchase has been completed. At that point, we’ll notify you of the purchase via email.

7. Once notified of the purchase, you can start processing the order. You can also opt to send a confirmation email of your own, letting Mary Ann know the purchase has been put into your system and notifying her of the approximate ship date.

8. When the funds are confirmed from the credit card company, they’re deposited into your PayPal account – minus applicable fees (2.9% + $0.30 per transaction). This infographic has an easy-to-understand breakdown of how exactly the money gets to you.

9. Once the money reaches your PayPal account, which usually happens within minutes of making the sale, you can leave it in your account for use in paying business expenses or withdraw it to your bank account (which usually takes 2-3 days).

The whole process is easy for the customer to understand and navigate, which means buying from you is a great experience. And it’s easy for you to use, too, so you can keep driving your business forward.

Laura N.
Sunnyvale, CA
Generally, I use PayPal for personal purchases whenever it is available. I have the app and one touch setup on my iPhone, so it's super easy to pay for things online. I've also used it for some business purchases, e.g., website domains, design templates, subscriptions, etc.

I find it easy to keep track of stuff through my PayPal account rather than having to log into my bank, since one touch makes it much easier to access than all the banking login details. I also have receipt notifications setup on my Facebook page, so I'll receive a message in Messenger if a purchase is made through PayPal.

My only negative experience with PayPal was approximately 10 years ago when I made a purchase on eBay and it turned out to be a scammer. Despite filing a claim for not receiving an item, they could not refund me the amount because the seller had already closed their account. Most marketplaces and payment services have figured out ways around this issue since then though and I haven't had any similar experiences since, so I'm happy to continue using them.
Natalie D.
Seattle
It's an old staple. We've all had good and bad with PP.
The Good:
- it's integrated in a lot of places online now, so if you do online selling, sometimes it's easier to just pay with that instead of your bank. Checkout has improved over the years
- you can use just about any card or bank
- creating shipping labels through PP is enormously simpler than the USPS website, and you can print first class postage. 🙌🙌

The Bad;
- echecks are truly despised by almost everyone involved, and often can take a week to clear. PP needs to be more clear with users about when they will be used.
- bank transfers can also be onerous; you'll get your money, but it definitely isn't showing up today; maybe tomorrow, or the next day - it's a surprise!
- Customer service has a long track record of being hit and miss. Cases can take a very long time to settle.
Lindsey K.
Louisa
I've been using paypal for years and actually prefer vendors who accept paypal as I feel safer going through them versus credit card. I have unfortunately had issues in the past with unscrupulous sellers who took my payment without sending the order, and in all cases I was protected by paypal. The only thing that worries me while using paypal is how easy it is to send the wrong person money. If you misspell the recipient's address, your money could be sent to someone else, and because it is a "gift" there is no way (that I have heard of) to receive a refund, unless the person who received it by accident does the right thing and refund it. I have never had that happen to me, but can only imagine what a nightmare that might be for someone like me who is prone to making tiny errors. Otherwise, if I could I'd use paypal for everything!
Britney J.
Jax
I am not a fan of the PayPal app or PayPal as an company. I had PayPal for a couple of years and I regularly utilized the app at the time. I thought it was very convenient, until a stranger was able to use my PayPal to charge my bank account $150. I had issues disputing the charge with my bank and PayPal and there was a lot of back and forth. Then, when I was finally refunded, and I did attempt to remake my PayPal account, there were a lot of lengthy security steps that I had to go through, many of which were not available to complete in the app. I completed most of the tasks on the computer, but the last task that I had was to receive a code via mail from PayPal, and no matter how many times I requested it, nothing was ever mailed to me. Due to all of this, I’ve completely stop using PayPal and their app.
Melissa A.
san antonio
I like PayPal because it gives so many options. For example, you can get PayPal credit and use it at checkout if you don’t have the money right away. If you receive a selling invoice, you can even create shipping labels at a discounted price. You can easily view all transactions through the app. It’s really user friendly but to be honest I primarily use it because a sale on eBay and really have no other choices or getting paid. The biggest downfall with PayPal is that when you receive money as a business transaction, they take a small cut out of what you made which is total baloney. Then there’s the credit issue. One time I received a refund on my credit and my bill was coming up due but the refund hadn’t cleared yet so it showed me as still owning that money. To avoid the late fee, I just went ahead and paid it and figured they could transfer the refund to my actual PayPal balance, not the credit. The only option was to put it back on the credit (which I guess makes sense) or mail me a check. Since I decided to stop using the credit, I opted for the check. It took over a month to get it back. It was a pain in the neck. At the very least, if you have a refund pending and your payment is coming up due, I wish they would temporarily show it as not being owed until after your payment due date, that way if you get your refund you don’t have to deal with the mess of it being put back on credit or having it mailed to you. Other than those two things, PayPal is pretty good.
Emiley H.
Delray beach, FL
Paypal was one of the first methods around for sending and receiving money. It was the first tool I used as an entrepreneur and continues to be a source of easy payment making/receiving. Since I began using it, it's vastly grown and become easier and easier. The app is simple to use and makes sending and receiving doable for all ages (Meaning, no matter your age, you can use this. Yes, grandma and grandpa, too.) The ONLY downside I personally believe is that it costs .25c (Yes, only a quarter) to instantly transfer your money. Again, yes, only a quarter, but if you're using this daily and multiple times, that quarter adds up y'all. This may be the only reason why users tend to choose other payment method apps as they don't charge to immediately receive money that is being paid to you.
Kenzie N.
I love using PayPal to safely and easily purchase items while online shopping. I love when there’s the option to pay with PayPal because it makes me feel safer than the company having my card information, it’s a safe middle ground. (Although the convenience can be a bit dangerous because then it’s way too easy to shop online lol). The only reason I give it 4 stars is because there are a lot of fees when you pay someone through PayPal, or transfer to your bank account. I know it’s a standard thing, but I’ve gotten so used to Venmo when exchanging money, that the fees for invoicing and transferring on PayPal seem a little ridiculous to me. Sum up: love it for shopping and literally everything except for paying people or transferring money to my bank (because of fees).
Dalila C.
I have been using PayPal for years even before I was living outside of United State. Now, it is so much easier with PayPal to purchase items at online stores and it is as easy as it can get (as long as you don't forget your password!). I also use Paypal to transfer money to my family abroad too and it has been so easy by just using their email address! The fees are there, but it's not as bad plus very convenient when you don't have to wait for days for them to receive it. So far this is the best method for me to do transactions!
Kellie T.
I have been using PayPal for years, since the early days of Ebay. It has always been an easy way of paying for online purchases, but as time has gone on, it's gotten easier with the Paypal app. Just a few clicks and I can send money to friends and family or make a payment to my PayPal credit. Which brings me to another point, I love the PayPal 6 months 0 interest on larger purchases. They have great customer service and are just so convenient. My only gripe would be (in the last 15 years) that the last app update has a glitch in it that freezes my screen. It's never done this before, and I suspect it'll be patched soon. In the meantime, it's still pretty easy to send money from the mobile site vs the app.
Marie T.
Do you use Paypal to sell or purchase things online? Both?
Kelsey B.
Is PayPal easy to use? Or worth it
sandi t.
santiago, santiago
Is it really safe ??
Emily H.
Buffalo, NY
Are they safe to give your SS to?
Jessica S.
Westlake , LA
Any bad experiences with paypal?