BY PAYPAL #10 in Apps

Online payment service for individuals and merchants. Allows users to send money and bills to anyone with e-mail.

Paypal
  • "I use PayPal for all my online purchases as it's safe and it make it easy way to use it in the stores without taking out your credit card." in 49 reviews
  • "I legit love PayPal so much that I dread when websites don't work with it, it makes things so much easier, nobody wants to continue putting their credit card information when they just wanna do some online shopping " in 36 reviews
  • "I've been using PayPal for years to make secure online purchases and for money transfers from my boyfriend that is currently stationed in Japan." in 30 reviews
  • "I also love how you have the option to get a debit card from them instead of waiting DAYS and DAYS for the money to transfer to your bank account." in 27 reviews
  • "It makes shopping and paying for things online so much easier and I know that my information will be kept secure and that the payment will be successful." in 23 reviews
Hillary M.
Houston , TX
MY LIFE revolves around PayPal. I use it for literally everything, from paying the babysitter to making stock trades. Here's a quick tutorial direct from the company.
typical PayPal transaction sequence:
1. The transaction starts when a customer (let’s call her Mary Ann) comes to your website. Let’s say Mary Ann finds a sweater she wants to purchase and clicks the Buy button on the product page. At this point, PayPal gets to work behind the scenes.

2. Mary Ann sees a shopping cart or checkout page next. Depending on the type of PayPal service you choose, she might see a shopping cart page integrated with your website. In other instances, she’ll see a shopping cart or checkout page hosted at the PayPal site (branded with your business’s logo).

3. After reviewing the checkout page, Mary Ann clicks the Pay Now button. This directs her to a payment page, hosted by PayPal. If you choose PayPal Payments Standard, your customer will be taken to the PayPal site to complete the transaction. With PayPal Payments Pro, that process is integrated into your site, so Mary Ann never leaves it.

4. If she has a PayPal account of her own, Mary Ann can simply enter her username and password, and the rest of her personal information – address, phone number, etc. – is retrieved from our database and automatically entered onto the payment form. (If Mary Ann doesn’t have a PayPal account, she can create one.)

At the PayPal login, she’ll also see the option to “Stay logged in for faster purchases.” Called One Touch, this feature keeps her logged in on the device she’s using, so if she comes back to your site or another site using PayPal, buying is even faster and easier.

At this point, her PayPal transaction is complete. If she chooses to pay with a credit or debit card, she’ll continue through the following steps.

5. If Mary Ann chooses to pay with a credit or debit card, she’ll enter her contact and card information in the web form and then clicks the Pay button to authorize payment. Behind the scenes, Mary Ann’s credit card information is encrypted and transmitted to PayPal, and then we contact the issuing bank for Mary Ann’s credit card. Assuming that her credit line can cover the purchase, the issuing bank authorizes the transaction, and the sale is approved. This process only takes a few seconds.

Note: All PayPal transactions take place on web pages that utilize Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) encryption. This protects your customer’s personal data from prying electronic eyes and identity thieves.

6. Mary Ann sees a confirmation page with a message (sent by us) that says her purchase has been completed. At that point, we’ll notify you of the purchase via email.

7. Once notified of the purchase, you can start processing the order. You can also opt to send a confirmation email of your own, letting Mary Ann know the purchase has been put into your system and notifying her of the approximate ship date.

8. When the funds are confirmed from the credit card company, they’re deposited into your PayPal account – minus applicable fees (2.9% + $0.30 per transaction). This infographic has an easy-to-understand breakdown of how exactly the money gets to you.

9. Once the money reaches your PayPal account, which usually happens within minutes of making the sale, you can leave it in your account for use in paying business expenses or withdraw it to your bank account (which usually takes 2-3 days).

The whole process is easy for the customer to understand and navigate, which means buying from you is a great experience. And it’s easy for you to use, too, so you can keep driving your business forward.

Megan M.
Des Moines, IA
I try to avoid paying through PayPal whenever I can. It is preferred when making certain purchases and it’s great for transferring money to someone. However, I think their customer service is horrible, just plain awful!!! I’ve never had a good customer service experience with PayPal. They never protect the you as the seller on selling sites such as eBay, where you’re basically forced to use PayPal. But I’ve also never had good experiences with them as a buyer from none selling sites, such as stores online that allow you to pay through PayPal. In those cases, they do protect the stores to an excessive extent. I’ve purchased stuff from stores online and paid through PayPal and had a hellish ordeal trying to get a refund on products that were nothing like as described or pictured on the website and they wanted me to pay for all the shipping back. Thank god I used my credit card and was protected by credit cards laws of false advertisement and I was able to go around PayPal (and their horrible customer service) and dispute the charges with my credit card company.
Laura N.
Sunnyvale, CA
Generally, I use PayPal for personal purchases whenever it is available. I have the app and one touch setup on my iPhone, so it's super easy to pay for things online. I've also used it for some business purchases, e.g., website domains, design templates, subscriptions, etc.

I find it easy to keep track of stuff through my PayPal account rather than having to log into my bank, since one touch makes it much easier to access than all the banking login details. I also have receipt notifications setup on my Facebook page, so I'll receive a message in Messenger if a purchase is made through PayPal.

My only negative experience with PayPal was approximately 10 years ago when I made a purchase on eBay and it turned out to be a scammer. Despite filing a claim for not receiving an item, they could not refund me the amount because the seller had already closed their account. Most marketplaces and payment services have figured out ways around this issue since then though and I haven't had any similar experiences since, so I'm happy to continue using them.
Heather H.
Edmond
PayPal is not your pal! My husband used PayPal to accept payments for services he provides for his personal business. He once swiped a chipped card, and PayPal swiped his money! They held onto hundreds of dollars for 30 days! They also do this with payments over $500! I don’t know about you, but my family needs that money to survive. They’re quick to take their fees, but will hold your money hostage. Their solution to the problem was to give my husband a $25 allowance! I’m sure $25 will pay the thousands of dollars in bills and supplies my husband requires in order to run his business and keep our home! Then they wanted to charge us an extra $60 plus dollars to receive a chip reader! So you want me to give you money even though you’ve got mine on a 30 day hold? You’ve got to be kidding me! If you need another stressor in your life, or you just like having money that you can’t touch, then PayPal is for you! If you’d rather know that you’ll actually be able to pay your bills and not end up living in a van down by the river, then steer clear of PayPal!
Terrance Y.
Alhambra, CA
PayPal is great for those moments when you forget your wallet at home or already in bed and don't want to pull out your cards. However, it has its flaws as well.
There were random moments when I tried to purchase something on eBay when PayPal will ask me to verify my identity with either a text or phone call... but it'll still fail the verification, preventing me for making the purchase. Otherwise, it is very convenient to simply enter my email and password and have all the information necessary to make a purchase.
A while ago, Chase even had a promotion where you get 5% back on your purchases using the Chase Freedom cards if you purchase via PayPal.
On the other hand, some times credit card companies may have special promotions on their credit cards and they explicitly state that using a 3rd party mobile processor (meaning PayPal, MasterPass, Visa Checkout, etc) may not trigger the offer. Overall, I'm satisfy with the ability to use PayPal when the online retailer website makes it an option
Natalie D.
Seattle
It's an old staple. We've all had good and bad with PP.
The Good:
- it's integrated in a lot of places online now, so if you do online selling, sometimes it's easier to just pay with that instead of your bank. Checkout has improved over the years
- you can use just about any card or bank
- creating shipping labels through PP is enormously simpler than the USPS website, and you can print first class postage. 🙌🙌

The Bad;
- echecks are truly despised by almost everyone involved, and often can take a week to clear. PP needs to be more clear with users about when they will be used.
- bank transfers can also be onerous; you'll get your money, but it definitely isn't showing up today; maybe tomorrow, or the next day - it's a surprise!
- Customer service has a long track record of being hit and miss. Cases can take a very long time to settle.
Lindsey K.
Louisa
I've been using paypal for years and actually prefer vendors who accept paypal as I feel safer going through them versus credit card. I have unfortunately had issues in the past with unscrupulous sellers who took my payment without sending the order, and in all cases I was protected by paypal. The only thing that worries me while using paypal is how easy it is to send the wrong person money. If you misspell the recipient's address, your money could be sent to someone else, and because it is a "gift" there is no way (that I have heard of) to receive a refund, unless the person who received it by accident does the right thing and refund it. I have never had that happen to me, but can only imagine what a nightmare that might be for someone like me who is prone to making tiny errors. Otherwise, if I could I'd use paypal for everything!
Carol R.
Warren, MI
I use Paypal for every online purchase I make. I feel it is an added layer of protection when purchasing things. It is very easy to use and easy to add money into your account.
The only negative I have about Paypal is somehow a Paypal Credit account was opened under my name unbeknownst to me. I received a letter stating my credit account was in collections. I explained the the customer service person a the collections company that I had no idea what this was about because I had never opened a credit account with paypal. After answering some questions the person said she would relay this information to paypal and if hey wanted to contact me they would. I never received any contact from Paypal. I did run my credit report and didn't see anything on there that was alarming. So I would just say to keep a vigilant eye on your Paypal account.
Britney J.
Jax
I am not a fan of the PayPal app or PayPal as an company. I had PayPal for a couple of years and I regularly utilized the app at the time. I thought it was very convenient, until a stranger was able to use my PayPal to charge my bank account $150. I had issues disputing the charge with my bank and PayPal and there was a lot of back and forth. Then, when I was finally refunded, and I did attempt to remake my PayPal account, there were a lot of lengthy security steps that I had to go through, many of which were not available to complete in the app. I completed most of the tasks on the computer, but the last task that I had was to receive a code via mail from PayPal, and no matter how many times I requested it, nothing was ever mailed to me. Due to all of this, I’ve completely stop using PayPal and their app.
Carmen M.
Cortez
I really like PayPal. They are easy to use with little to no problems. I like that I can have a few months or more to pay of their credit on purchases. Recently, I was a victim of fraud as was a purchaser I had through eBay. When the fraudulent debit was noticed by the person whose bank account had been used by the thief, a dispute was filed. Obviously, I was unaware of what the thief had done. However, they did have the item that I unwittingly sent them. During the resolution process, the money for the item was put on hold. It was eventually resolved and I received my payment. I was a bit disgruntled that, I, a victim of fraud as well had to wait almost a month for my money. Isn't that what seller and buyer protection is in place for. I have made thousands of sales and have a clean, clean record. Couldn't PayPal have given the the benefit of the doubt?
Marie T.
Do you use Paypal to sell or purchase things online? Both?
Kelsey B.
Is PayPal easy to use? Or worth it
sandi t.
santiago, santiago
Is it really safe ??
Emily H.
Buffalo, NY
Are they safe to give your SS to?
Jessica S.
Westlake , LA
Any bad experiences with paypal?