BY ORIGINS

A skin-optimizing pre-treatment for masking. Maskimizer™ Skin-Optimizing Mask Primer preps, primes, and optimizes skin for mask to follow. It improves spreadability and rinseability of masks while hydrating, soothing, and boosting skin's radiance immediately. Great for use with every type of mask except peel-off, it softens skin and boosts hydration levels. It is formulated Without: - Parabens- Sulfates - Phthalates see more...

• I've seen some things about these mask primers and I'm a little s...2 Answers
  • Is this something that can actually help the process of doing a f...2 Answers
  • How effective do you think this pre-mask treatmen... Be the first to answer!
Buy on Sephora
Chessa F.
Clay, KY
My skin is so sensitive but yet so dry my face didn't really see any benefits from using this primer. I believe it is just my skin type. I would still recommend this product. My friend ended up using it and she loves it! She has gone to repurchase it.. a couple of times!
annemarie p.
Northampton, PA
I use this Maskimizer all day as a makeup refresher & before any skin products. It's a nice, light essence that doesn't break me out nor inflame my skin in any way. Origins always seems to come through with their products for me, I hope you'll try them too!
Andrea B.
Thomasville, AL
The Skin Optimizing Mask Primer is a priming mist with Marine Algae Complex that helps to hydrate, soften, and optimize your skin's condition so that it is ready for your mask. This skin primer get your skin primed with just a quick spritz. You have to hold the bottle about 10" to 12" from your face. Once you have done that, then you will have to pat your face lightly. And then you apply your favorite mask. I think this work well with clay masks. You are able to use less product when it comes to using a clay mask. I know before I had to use more because it would dry fast and you would have to apply more. I don't have to worry about that with. And after you finish applying the clay mask, it will dry with no problems. It will not hurt the process of your clay mask when it is doing it job on your face. I think it helps the clay mask work more. I like using this a lot. Some people might ask, can water do the same instead of paying money to buy this. No it isn't the same. This isn't just water. There are other ingredients that is used in this to help to do what it is suppose to do. You notice we almost need a primer for almost everything we use when it comes to makeup, but it is worth it when you want your makeup to last and for it to look good.
Maria S.
I recently discovered the Origins mask and oh my god where have they been all my life! I got a travel kit of multiple trial sizes and the Optimizing mask primer is one of them. I can't say enough great things about all things Origins.
Cat C.
Arlington, VA
This is such a cool product! I received a sample in my Sephora Play! box, along with sample packets of a couple of Origins' best-selling masks. I was already a fan of their Clear Improvement Active Charcoal Mask, but using the Maskimizer Primer before I applied it made the mask much easier to use, and also improved its efficacy! The charcoal mask spread on more smoothly and didn't instantly dry in awkward patches (as all charcoal masks tend to do, in my experience). The Maskimizer spray is cool and refreshing, and it made the charcoal mask more comfortable to wear--I didn't feel like my face was going to crack if I moved my face.

Yes, this is an extra step, but it only takes about three seconds to use. It's a unique product and concept, as far as I know, and I do think it ups your mask game. The only reason I gave it four stars instead of five is because the price is a little higher than I would like to see on a product that isn't strictly necessary for one's mask routine. At a slightly lower price point (like maybe $18 instead of $22 for 3.2 oz. of product), I'd give it five stars.

Bottom line: If you're a regular mask user, this might be worth the money for adding comfort, efficacy, and ease of use to your favorite mask (except peel-off masks; Origins says not to use it with those)! If you don't currently use masks regularly, Maskimizer might not be worth the money for you. However, if you would like to start using masks more often (which I highly recommend--masks are great!), but aren't sure which one to choose, Origins makes masks for just about every skin concern. It's a great brand to try, whether you're mask-less or a mask master!
Lynnzy B.
Gimmick? This is what I thought too before I tried this out from a sephora play box. I admit I was so totally wrong. This is wonderful to spray on your face before a moisturizer (the green origins mask I wear overnight). Moisturizer goes on so much more smoothly, and I feel it absorbs best when I spray this on first.
Harley B.
Lewisville, TX
This product was a sample in one of my play! By Sephora boxes. I only used it a couple times but I truly feel like it didn't make a difference when applying my masks. Maybe if I used masks more frequently I would be able to tell if it made a difference, but if you don't use masks all the time, I would save your money!
Gabby M.
San Antonio, TX
Ok so to start things off I considered this a gimmick. Like why would someone prep their face to apply a mask? Well if you've ever read the mask applications they say to wet your face. Only this product has special magic that boosts the effects of the mask. I do notice a slight difference but either way I like it.
Cori C.
Winston Salem, NC
This product is a neat idea ands some benefits but not enough for me to repurchase. Buying it in a mask set is perfect to complement but beyond that the appeal is lost and it almost seems gimmicky. Neat idea! Debatable on whether or not it has a crazy impact.
Saachi J.
I got this in a Origins set as a Sephora point perk, and while I liked all the other products a lot, I hate this one. This product does absolutely nothing. It's extremely gimmicky and pointless. On top of that, the spray is AWFUL. It squirts so much on your face, no matter how far away I hold it. I end up just spraying some onto my hands and patting it onto skin. But I really don't notice any difference in how my face masks apply and work.
Katrina S.
Algonquin, IL
Mary S.
Rochester , NY
Jessica D.
Highland Mls, NY
Is this something that can actually help the process of doing a facemask?
Kayla B.
Amanda H.
Greenfield, MA
Does anyone notice a difference while using this? I've only used it once and it was with their charcoal mask.