Add a Photo

By ORIGINS
#17 in Serums
A skin-optimizing pre-treatment for masking. Maskimizer™ Skin-Optimizing Mask Primer preps, primes, and optimizes skin for mask to follow. It improves spreadability and rinseability of masks while hydrating, soothing, and boosting skin's radiance immediately. Great for use with every type of mask except peel-off, it softens skin and boosts hydration levels. It is formulated Without: - Parabens- Sulfates - Phthalates
Photos (10)
Cat C.
Cat C.
Arlington, VA

This is such a cool product! I received a sample in my Sephora Play! box, along with sample packets of a couple of Origins' best-selling masks. I was already a fan of their Clear Improvement Active Charcoal Mask, but using the Maskimizer Primer before I applied it made the mask much easier to use, and also improved its efficacy! The charcoal mask spread on more smoothly and didn't instantly dry in awkward patches (as all charcoal masks tend to do, in my experience). The Maskimizer spray is cool and refreshing, and it made the charcoal mask more comfortable to wear--I didn't feel like my face was going to crack if I moved my face.

Yes, this is an extra step, but it only takes about three seconds to use. It's a unique product and concept, as far as I know, and I do think it ups your mask game. The only reason I gave it four stars instead of five is because the price is a little higher than I would like to see on a product that isn't strictly necessary for one's mask routine. At a slightly lower price point (like maybe $18 instead of $22 for 3.2 oz. of product), I'd give it five stars.

Bottom line: If you're a regular mask user, this might be worth the money for adding comfort, efficacy, and ease of use to your favorite mask (except peel-off masks; Origins says not to use it with those)! If you don't currently use masks regularly, Maskimizer might not be worth the money for you. However, if you would like to start using masks more often (which I highly recommend--masks are great!), but aren't sure which one to choose, Origins makes masks for just about every skin concern. It's a great brand to try, whether you're mask-less or a mask master!
Andrea B.
Andrea B.
Thomasville, AL

The Skin Optimizing Mask Primer is a priming mist with Marine Algae Complex that helps to hydrate, soften, and optimize your skin's condition so that it is ready for your mask. This skin primer get your skin primed with just a quick spritz. You have to hold the bottle about 10" to 12" from your face. Once you have done that, then you will have to pat your face lightly. And then you apply your favorite mask. I think this work well with clay masks. You are able to use less product when it comes to using a clay mask. I know before I had to use more because it would dry fast and you would have to apply more. I don't have to worry about that with. And after you finish applying the clay mask, it will dry with no problems. It will not hurt the process of your clay mask when it is doing it job on your face. I think it helps the clay mask work more. I like using this a lot. Some people might ask, can water do the same instead of paying money to buy this. No it isn't the same. This isn't just water. There are other ingredients that is used in this to help to do what it is suppose to do. You notice we almost need a primer for almost everything we use when it comes to makeup, but it is worth it when you want your makeup to last and for it to look good.
Kimberly Z.
Kimberly Z.
Redwood City, CA

I was really skeptical about purchasing a mask primer because it seemed like an unnecessary extra step. However, some of my favorite masks and face wash products to use during breakouts starting causing my skin to feel and look dry, so it seems worth a try. The Maskimizer definitely exceeded my expectations. After regularly integrating it into my use with masks, my skin is considerably more hydrated and no longer looks dry. I even use it without a mask, after washing my face or even prior to using foundation. A light mist is refreshing and hydrating. In addition to having dryness prone skin, my face is also extremely sensitive. I had no adverse effects after using the Maskimizer; it makes my skin feel hydrated and soft! I would recommend this product to those with sensitive skin prone to dryness as part of a facial beauty routine.
Kirby F.
Kirby F.
Lloyd Harbor, NY

This primer is promised to help make the mask more spreadable and also easier to wash off. It also promises to hydrate, sooth, and boost skin radiance. The scent of the spray is very light and fresh and makes you feel cleaner in a sense. While applying the drink up mask to my face I was wondering how am I going to tell the difference this spray makes, but then I got to an area of my face where I clearly missed spraying with the primer and you could really feel a difference running this over your face without primer. I couldn't tell a difference with how the mask washed off my face. But I did notice how smooth and soft my face did feel. My face has been peeling from a bad sunburn from the beach and after washing off this mask and primer my skin looks and feels extremely healthy.
Juan G.
Juan G.
Carlyle, IL

When I bought this I figured it was mostly gimmick, but I've spent my money on worse, so why not. I actually really, really like it. My skin has been dehydrated so I use this spray just out of the shower in the morning. It adds a plumping boost that makes my face soft and ready for moisturizer. I've used it with masks but prefer daily use. Is it essential for everyone? Of course not. But my skincare routine involves layers of product and this is a great base. I use this spray, an essence or serum, than my moisturizer. Struggling with oily skin has forced me to pay more attention when my face is dehydrated, so it doesn't overproduce oil throughout the day. I enjoy using this product and don't regret my purchase at all. Doesn't have a smell
mikael l.
mikael l.

When I bought this product out of sheer curiosity. For I am a fan of facial masks, I wanted to see if I would understand what it promises and if it would really leave the skin incredible after. I really noticed a difference, the only reason I gave four stars instead of five is because it really is not necessary if you have a good cleaner face at home already. This product acts as a toner before applying a mask so that all oils, dirt and makeup are removed. It really allows your skin to get the maximum effect from the mask. This applies lightly and does not contain much scent. I have sensitive skin and do not dry myself or cause any breakouts. I would recommend it to any avid user mask, otherwise you probably will not have a use for it.
Jenn S.
Jenn S.
Dallas, TX

I bought this product out of curiosity. I am a huge fan of face masks and wanted to see if this would make your skin feel even more amazing afterwards. I really did notice a difference. The only reason I gave this four stars instead of five is because it really isn't THAT necessary if you have a good face cleaner at home already. This product acts as a toner before you apply a mask so that all oils, dirt, and makeup are removed. It really lets your skin get the maximum effect from the mask. This applies lightly and does not contain too much scent. I have sensitive skin and it did not dry me out or cause any breakouts. I would recommend to any avid mask user, otherwise you probably won't have a use for it.
Aida G.
Aida G.

I love Origins face masks, that is the truth, they cannot do a wrong in the masks book for me. So, when I sar the mask primer in my local store, I ran for it. The idea is brilliant: a primer that increases the effect of the mask on your face, How cool is that? The price is a bit high for a mask primer but this it the first time I find one in the market, so it is impossible to compare to any other brand. Aside from that, the effects of the primer are okay but not game changing. Could I live without it? Yes. I have it and I will finish it, as it is not a bad product, but I would recommend on investing on the masks rather than on this primer.
Meighan P.
Meighan P.

OMG!!! I freaking love this product. I have a MAJOR mask addiction and what's better than having a new product that helps make your masks work even better...nothing that's what. I find this to do as it says and worth the money, plus a little goes a loooong way. I totally am in love with this product and I defenetly RECOMMEND IT!!!
It can be used with wash off and sheet masks, the only ones NOT recommended are peel off masks. I find my sheet masks seems to absorb the essence or serums in the sheet mask even better and I find my wash off masks, especially clay ones are much easier to wash off and I find their efficacy even better.
Natalie A.
Natalie A.

This is supposed to be used in conjunction with face masks (you spray a little of this all over your face prior to applying a mask) to optimize the effectiveness of the mask. I definitely think this is worth the money, because I had no issues applying the charcoal mask after using this spray. Plus, the spray is so fine it really feels like a mist and is super refreshing on the skin, very hydrating. I think it really helped the charcoal mask I used stick to my skin better and kept it from drying too quickly, before I had finished applying it to my entire face. Really recommend giving this a shot!
Katrina S.

Rochester, NY

Clancy M.
Clancy M.
Whycocomagh, NS

Does this primer work even for masks that are meant to soak up oil and dry out acne?
Tatiana M.
Tatiana M.
New Windsor, NY

I've been curious about this product. Does anyone truly see a difference? I am a sucker for a good mask and would love to get 100% from the products! Thanks in advanced!
Amanda H.
Amanda H.
Greenfield, Ma

Does anyone notice a difference while using this? I've only used it once and it was with their charcoal mask.

Join Now