BY ORIGINS #21 in Face Masks

• Where can I buy this product?32 Answers
Buy on Sephora*
Kelsey M.
Saint Louis, MO
This is the best activated charcoal mask I've ever used. It went on smoothly and could be easily layered, which, if you use masks often, you'll know can be kind of a problem with others depending on their consistency. Aside from it being an absolute dream to apply, it wasn't sticky! I didn't feel like I had to use anything other than my fingers to apply if I was in a rush and I wasn't constantly going back to rinse off my hands before slathering more on. Once the mask was applied it had a cooling sensation as it dried and didn't itch OR crack! I was left with a very light and clean feeling throughout the entire process and I couldn't have been more pleased.

The only downside to this mask was that it was a little harder to get off than other masks that I've tried in the past, but I chalk that up to it being of better quality. It really got in there and cleared out my pores! I just had to spend a little extra time in front of the sink with a warm cloth and basin of water to remove it. Once it was removed I felt like a new woman. My face was so smooth, I actually walked around my apartment and had both of my roommates and my boyfriend feel it because I was so impressed with how my skin had been transformed. It was so light and fresh feeling. I did mine right before bed so I slept like a baby. Even the next day after doing the mask at night I feel like my skin is retaining so much more moisture and I don't look as tired, puffy, or red as I usually am in the morning.

I'd recommend this charcoal mask over any drugstore brand. It's worth the investment. I wasn't compensated for this review, however I did receive this product free for testing. I plan on purchasing a full-size bottle.
Alisha J.
Walworth, NY
I’m pretty impressed with this mask! It goes on easily, and a little of it goes a long way because it’s SO SMOOTH (which is so rare for charcoal products). It does burn for the first 30 seconds it’s on, but that’s to be expected from something that’s getting deep into your pores and unclogging them. It’s really relaxing to leave on for a while, and after taking it off my face was incredibly soft. I have pretty soft skin to begin with, but this took it to another level so I was very happy with the results. I felt fresh and clean. The only downfall of this product is that it’s difficult to take off for a face mask. Most wash off very easily (or peel off easily if you can handle a little pain) but this one takes some really hot water and some intense scrubbing with a wash cloth to come off. I don’t mind this though (it doesn’t stain your face or anything crazy once it is off) so I’m still giving it five stars. I got this for free in exchange for giving an honest review, but I will definitely buy in the future to see what regular use will do for my face (even the small bottle I was given is enough product for about 6-8 uses!)
Jessy G.
I have sensitive skin so I prefer to do my own facials.  I use either the Origins Clear Improvements Charcoal mask or the First Aid Beauty Purifying red clay mask as part of my at home facial routine.  I have oily combination skin and large pores.  My pores tend to get clogged often with sebaceous filaments (dead skin, build up which ends up looking like tiny white hairs). . .I know, ugghh, 😩😖 yuck!

Anyway, I have received both in the past as free samples from Sephora and liked both.  I use both masks interchangeably and find that they are both effective at resolving my sebaceous filaments problem.  However, I will focus on the Origins charcoal mask since that's what I'm reviewing.  I apply a thin layer on my forehead, nose/outer nostril area and around my mouth and chin area.  I avoid my cheeks because I have sensitive skin and mild rosacea ☺️ and this mask irritates my cheeks by causing redness (which is why I deducted a ⭐️).  However, the mask does not irritate the rest of my face so I use it on the rest of my face and avoid my cheeks.  This works for me because my sebaceous filaments problem is most noticeable around my👃🏽,👄and chin anyway.

When I do my at home facials, I always do them at night since they make the skin vulnerable to sunlight.  That way, my skin has a chance to rest overnight before exposing it to ☀️ again.

I do the following at home facial steps:

1.  I wash my face with warm water and use a warm wash cloth or a bowl of hot water to steam my face for about 5 minutes to open up pores.

2.  I mix baking soda with a little water until it's pasty and gently massage onto my face for 3 minutes to loosen up dead skin.

3.  I rinse it off with warm water and quickly massage face with Josie Moran Argan oil for 10 minutes to calm skin  and continue loosening everything up.

4.  Then I wipe my skin gently with a warm cloth and apply the Origins charcoal mask.  I leave it on for about 15 to 20 minutes or until it is dry.  You'll notice because it looks wet when you first apply it and it gradually dries up.

5.  Then I rinse it off and gently remove with a warm wash cloth.  I follow up by using an oval or square cotton swab to wipe my skin with Origins Age-Defense Treatment Lotion with White Tea.

6. I finish up by applying a thick layer of Peter Thomas Roth Cucumber gel mask and leave it on overnight.  It's very soothing so it calms the skin and restores moisture.  By morning, my skin looks great and the sebaceous filaments are gone as if I had a professional facial!!

Some of these products are pricey, including the Origins charcoal mask.  However, for me it is worth it because it's still cheaper than a professional facial and the mask really does work at clearing pores.  Also, I only do this every couple of weeks so the mask lasts me a long time.  If you have skin issues similar to mine, then I recommend you try the Origins charcoal mask.
Lori D.
Hoffman Est, IL
I ordered this from Macy's in a box of I believe 6 different trial size masks 🎭 for the holidays. Today I decided to give this one a try cuz my pores have been a bit congested lately. I washed with my holy grail cleanser Eradikate then added some soothing, depuffing undereye patches that are relaxing as well. Then I painted on the mask using an older foundation brush that I don't use anymore. I kicked back & relaxed for about 20-25 minutes till I was completely dry, then using a warm wet cloth, I rinsed it off & removed the eye pads. The charcoal did a great job of cleaning out my pours and bringing a lot of my excess sebum out of my forehead. I use witch hazel for a toner, added a little serum and mattifying moisturizer along with my eye creams. I enjoyed this mask and I believe that it does what it says it does by clearing out the pores. I honestly think that by using this one a few times a week that it would be very beneficial for my oily skin. Definitely a great mask and I definitely recommend it.
Ashley V.
Manvel, TX
At first, I couldn’t tell much of a difference in my skin’s after using this product.. Until I purchased a face steamer and this changes everything! Basically I steam my face for about 3-5 minutes to open my pores and while the steamer is on, I apply this mask evenly throughout my face. Once I’m done applying the mask, I continue steaming my face for about another 5 minutes and let it dry & sit for about 10 minutes before rinsing off with warm water, NOT HOT. Once I get all the excess off my face, I then wash my face with COLDDD water or melt ice cubes on my fave to close my pores! Since I’ve added the face steamer into my routine, this mask has been great to me! Anytime I get breakouts, I apply this mask along with my steamer and I notice my blemishes getting smaller overnight! I’d definitely recommend using this 2-3 times a week as an exfoliator in order to notice the difference.  Origins Clear Improvement™ Active Charcoal Mask To Clear Pores
Valerie M.
I tried this for the first time the other night and liked it (not loved it). It did a great job clearing my pores everywhere but my nose. For some reason the pores on my nose didn't change in the slightest, and I left it on for over 10 minutes. I jumped in the shower for a pre-bed rinse and also for the hot water to open up my pores and then slathered on a thick coating Origins Clear Improvement. After about 12 minutes it was completely dry and ready to be washed off. I used warm but not hot water and didn't scrub it off but somehow still ended up with flaming red skin. I know its temporary but the feel of the tight, dry mask and the resulting flush/mild irritation left me feeling uncomfortable rather than clean. I also noticed three small pimples in different locations that weren't present before the mask. All in all, I know we all have different skin and different reactions. Mine wasn't terrible, and I'm sure for others its a great products, but just not for me.
Rebecca C.
Brooklyn, NY
I LOOOOOOOVE THIS. I have oily-combination skin with sebum plugs in my nose. It’s not huge but it frustrates me. I notice that when my nose gets oily, it fills up with sebum and looks swollen. I used this mask on my boyfriend (combination skin, bad acne, scarring ) and it worked wonders! His new acne started closing up and healing overnight, and the scarring on his cheeks were fading. It was a visible difference! For myself, I loved the tightening feeling it gave after washing it off, which meant that the oils were cleared off my skin. The pores looked empty, which was very satisfying to see. I followed up with my toner, serum, and moisturizer and went to bed. When I woke up, my skin felt supple and not oily!!! My pores were skin empty, and my skin looked a lot smoother overall! It isn’t as moisturizing as the Aztec Healing Clay, but it’s drying effect is a bit stronger. I think that’s completely fine, since I follow up with my toner, serum and moisturizer anyway right? I believe what it did was strip away the oily gunk layer in my face and finally allowed all my good face products to sink into my skin.
Shakeela P.
Littleton, NC
I received this mask from Sephora by cashing in my points for the small trial size version. I wasn't sure about it so I didn't use it for a month. However once I looked it up on Paula's Choice I was hooked! This leaves my pores looking tight and closed. It makes my face feel very soft and really helps to lift any makeup residue left behind after cleaning. It doesn't have a smell to it which is great. The packaging is great as it comes from a squeeze tube. It goes on easy and dries quickly. This is after all a charcoal clay mask. So yes it will harden but not difficult to wipe off. I just run a cloth under warm water and drape it over my face for 10 secs (if that) and then slowly start to wipe off and it comes off with no problems. This always leaves my face looking awesome even into the next day. My makeup goes on so beautifully on the days I use it the night before. I always use it at night time to relax with!
Srishti C.
Dallas, TX
This is my first try at a charcoal mask. I have used various other face masks before. The application is pretty simple just like all other face masks. A very good advice was to apply it after a hot steamy shower so that your pores are open and the active charcoal can get inside and clear them out. Once applied, it dries pretty quickly and the skin feels firm. I enjoyed my experience with this charcoal mask. My face felt smoother after application. The product did not irritate my eyes and I would recommend to use this once a week for a glowing skin. (I received this product complimentary in exchange for an honest review)
Kat J.
San Antonio, TX
What can I say about this mask,.... It’s just wonderful. I’m usually not a fan of Origins products, but this mask is the exception. I think I first tried it as a free sample with a Sephora order, and I’ve been hooked ever since. It’s a very creamy charcoal mask that goes on kinda thin, and dries like a mud mask on your skin. Every time I️ use this mask, I notice a huge difference after I wash it off... This tightens my big pores, calms my existing acne, and clears my skin (I guess that’s why they call it “Clear Improvement” LOL). You don’t need to use a lot or layer it on thick to see results. So the tube lasts a long time. Even my small samples I get from time to time last awhile, so I don’t have to replace this regularly. Even if I️ did have to buy it frequently, it isn’t ridiculously expensive. So it’s definitely worth it. It does tighten on your skin as it dries, so if you don’t like that sensation, this may not be for you. But it definitely doesn’t dry out your skin or make it flaky. It just clears everything up so you have a gorgeously smooth face. Nice job, Origins. You made a great product.
Nicolette A.
Miami , FL
Where can I buy this product?
Jill H.
Winnipeg, WY
Vilma Judith C.
Doral, FL
Does this work well with sensitive skin?
Leslie F.
Boston, MA
It's amazing, I need it. Is it a good product?
Heledd H.