BY ORIGINS #23 in Face Masks

• What is a good charcoal mask? Or is it better to do a diy charcoa...3 Answers
  • How long do I need to use this product to see results?3 Answers
Buy on Sephora*
Jessy G.
I have sensitive skin so I prefer to do my own facials.  I use either the Origins Clear Improvements Charcoal mask or the First Aid Beauty Purifying red clay mask as part of my at home facial routine.  I have oily combination skin and large pores.  My pores tend to get clogged often with sebaceous filaments (dead skin, build up which ends up looking like tiny white hairs). . .I know, ugghh, 😩😖 yuck!

Anyway, I have received both in the past as free samples from Sephora and liked both.  I use both masks interchangeably and find that they are both effective at resolving my sebaceous filaments problem.  However, I will focus on the Origins charcoal mask since that's what I'm reviewing.  I apply a thin layer on my forehead, nose/outer nostril area and around my mouth and chin area.  I avoid my cheeks because I have sensitive skin and mild rosacea ☺️ and this mask irritates my cheeks by causing redness (which is why I deducted a ⭐️).  However, the mask does not irritate the rest of my face so I use it on the rest of my face and avoid my cheeks.  This works for me because my sebaceous filaments problem is most noticeable around my👃🏽,👄and chin anyway.

When I do my at home facials, I always do them at night since they make the skin vulnerable to sunlight.  That way, my skin has a chance to rest overnight before exposing it to ☀️ again.

I do the following at home facial steps:

1.  I wash my face with warm water and use a warm wash cloth or a bowl of hot water to steam my face for about 5 minutes to open up pores.

2.  I mix baking soda with a little water until it's pasty and gently massage onto my face for 3 minutes to loosen up dead skin.

3.  I rinse it off with warm water and quickly massage face with Josie Moran Argan oil for 10 minutes to calm skin  and continue loosening everything up.

4.  Then I wipe my skin gently with a warm cloth and apply the Origins charcoal mask.  I leave it on for about 15 to 20 minutes or until it is dry.  You'll notice because it looks wet when you first apply it and it gradually dries up.

5.  Then I rinse it off and gently remove with a warm wash cloth.  I follow up by using an oval or square cotton swab to wipe my skin with Origins Age-Defense Treatment Lotion with White Tea.

6. I finish up by applying a thick layer of Peter Thomas Roth Cucumber gel mask and leave it on overnight.  It's very soothing so it calms the skin and restores moisture.  By morning, my skin looks great and the sebaceous filaments are gone as if I had a professional facial!!

Some of these products are pricey, including the Origins charcoal mask.  However, for me it is worth it because it's still cheaper than a professional facial and the mask really does work at clearing pores.  Also, I only do this every couple of weeks so the mask lasts me a long time.  If you have skin issues similar to mine, then I recommend you try the Origins charcoal mask.
Lori D.
Hoffman Est, IL
I ordered this from Macy's in a box of I believe 6 different trial size masks 🎭 for the holidays. Today I decided to give this one a try cuz my pores have been a bit congested lately. I washed with my holy grail cleanser Eradikate then added some soothing, depuffing undereye patches that are relaxing as well. Then I painted on the mask using an older foundation brush that I don't use anymore. I kicked back & relaxed for about 20-25 minutes till I was completely dry, then using a warm wet cloth, I rinsed it off & removed the eye pads. The charcoal did a great job of cleaning out my pours and bringing a lot of my excess sebum out of my forehead. I use witch hazel for a toner, added a little serum and mattifying moisturizer along with my eye creams. I enjoyed this mask and I believe that it does what it says it does by clearing out the pores. I honestly think that by using this one a few times a week that it would be very beneficial for my oily skin. Definitely a great mask and I definitely recommend it.
Erin H.
San Francisco, CA
I have combination skin and I struggle with adult acne and scarring.

This is my go-to weekly face mask and I’m absolutely in love with origins! First of all, the full size bottle lasts so long and is so worth the price.
I love the texture of this “mud” because it’s so creamy and thick, instead of thin and watery like other masks I’ve tried. Makes for a really great mask selfie!

Okay, so you apply this mask in a thick layer all over your face or you can also simply target problem areas, which I do when I multi-mask or when I am treating a rough breakout I like to apply it on the blemish as if it were a spot treatment. (Don’t really do this anymore since I bought the origins spit treatment). I noticed this mask is better in small doses, you only need it a few times a week and it can actually be very irritating in the corners of my nose and around my mouth so I’m very cautious to avoid those areas.
The mask itself feels fresh and makes my skin feel super squeaky clean, but also can cause a bit of tingling while on the skin. It’s never been overly drying or caused any irritation.

The mud dries down to a flaky and chalky moment which I then rinse off with warm water and a mask remover sponge that helps exfoliate the skin while also cleaning everything off.

When I remove the mask my current acne feels dried out and it helps clear those blemishes faster. My skin feels fresh and clean, while my complexion is noticeably brighter. I’ve been using this mask for months and I highly recommend it to people with similar skin and concerns.
Valerie M.
I tried this for the first time the other night and liked it (not loved it). It did a great job clearing my pores everywhere but my nose. For some reason the pores on my nose didn't change in the slightest, and I left it on for over 10 minutes. I jumped in the shower for a pre-bed rinse and also for the hot water to open up my pores and then slathered on a thick coating Origins Clear Improvement. After about 12 minutes it was completely dry and ready to be washed off. I used warm but not hot water and didn't scrub it off but somehow still ended up with flaming red skin. I know its temporary but the feel of the tight, dry mask and the resulting flush/mild irritation left me feeling uncomfortable rather than clean. I also noticed three small pimples in different locations that weren't present before the mask. All in all, I know we all have different skin and different reactions. Mine wasn't terrible, and I'm sure for others its a great products, but just not for me.
Arlet D.
Hialeah, FL
I have really stupid skin in the sense that my forehead gets really oily but my cheeks and around my eyes get really dry when I use a generic face wash. I've also essentially never seen a single day of genuinely clear skin since I hit puberty. I had some photos coming up and wanted to do what I could to clear up my skin enough to use a bit of cover up (as opposed to caking it on) so that any editing would look normal. I used this basically every day for about a week and I'm super impressed. Because I also have picking issues I tend to be covered in little scabs and after using this and their overnight moisturizing mask my face started to heal. Although my breakouts didn't stop they were much smaller and easier to get so I didn't pick at them. I got the checks and balances face wash to use every night and now use this every other night. By the time the day of my pictures came around I had almost no breakout and my scabs were almost completely healed. This was within just a couple weeks. Best of all, where every other cleanser would have begun to mess with my skin, my skin is actually feeling significantly healthier. It's noticeably softer and brighter. As someone who has been struggling for years to find something that works, with how fast I saw results I'm deeply impressed by this product and the others that I've tried. If you're like me and nothing seems to help, I'd definitely suggest giving this one a try.
Kat J.
San Antonio, TX
What can I say about this mask,.... It’s just wonderful. I’m usually not a fan of Origins products, but this mask is the exception. I think I first tried it as a free sample with a Sephora order, and I’ve been hooked ever since. It’s a very creamy charcoal mask that goes on kinda thin, and dries like a mud mask on your skin. Every time I️ use this mask, I notice a huge difference after I wash it off... This tightens my big pores, calms my existing acne, and clears my skin (I guess that’s why they call it “Clear Improvement” LOL). You don’t need to use a lot or layer it on thick to see results. So the tube lasts a long time. Even my small samples I get from time to time last awhile, so I don’t have to replace this regularly. Even if I️ did have to buy it frequently, it isn’t ridiculously expensive. So it’s definitely worth it. It does tighten on your skin as it dries, so if you don’t like that sensation, this may not be for you. But it definitely doesn’t dry out your skin or make it flaky. It just clears everything up so you have a gorgeously smooth face. Nice job, Origins. You made a great product.
Chelsea T.
New Brunswick, NJ
This is a good charcoal mask that does a pretty good job of clearing out all the dirt and grime from your pores.  It is pricey but it is not as pricey as some of the other leading clearing masks, and thats why i recommend it.  I have dry skin, and my skin does feel pretty dry afterwards, but that is to be expected and is easily treated by applying a good moisturizer afterwards.  I generally use this once a week at most because I do not really need to use it more often, but if you have problematic skin you could use it a couple times a week.  My boyfriend has acne, and he LOVES this mask.
Denise H.
Wilmington , NC
Received this mask in my Sephora Play box. I have never really used wash off masks before so this is new to me. I try to use this once a week, usually mid-week to clean pores good after wearing a full face everyday. It goes on easily and I paint my entire face with it, and it dries pretty quick- about 3 minutes or so, then rinse it off and my skin feels nice and clean! I don’t really have large pores or a blackhead problem, so I don’t notice that much of a difference when using this. However using this makes me feel like I’m doing something healthy for my face and I enjoy it!
Cassey V.
Manchester, NH
This mask makes my skin feel so good after I use it. I don't know what it is about my mask but my skin always looks so clear and alive after I use this mask. My texture looks a little better and my skin tone looks a little more even. It is very easy to apply with your hands and with a silicone brush. I currently don't have a full size of this I have a sample size that I got for free from sephora after I purchased a ton and a travel sized one that I purchased for a conference last year. I do not regret my purchase one bit.
MeTime M.
|| Origins Clear Improvement Activated Charcoal Mask || Tip: it's a rinse off mask!
I've mentioned from my previous post that I have this one ignorant cystic zit on my face that wouldn't go away! With the help of innisfree sheet mask, it had gone down in color and size! So I need more cleaning done😷

Activated charcoal clears pores by acting as a magnet! This mask also clear pores with the help of white China clay (absorbs environmental toxins) and lecithin (dissolves impurities)! .

Use:
1. Clean face
2. Warm towel and lay over face to open up pores
3. Apply mask on for 15-20 minutes
4. Once dry, rinse off

Price: $$ Result: That zit doesn't look like it got smaller but my pores look much cleaner ♥️ that means my zit is cleaner too and I know my skin is breathing! On the other note, I left it on for too long (since I tend to knock out while masking 😴 it's a #habit now LOL 😂) but it didn't irritate my skin! You asked how long I left it on for? 1 hour+ 😂 🕤🕦
Recommend? YES
Repurchase? YES

Nicolette A.
Where can I buy this product?
Jill H.
Winnipeg, WY
Vilma Judith C.
Doral, FL
Does this work well with sensitive skin?
Leslie F.
Revere, MA
It's amazing, I need it. Is it a good product?
Heledd H.