BY NONE

Composer: Elliot Goldenthal. Audio Mixers: Joel Iwataki; Mike Piersante; Brandon Mason. Recording information: Brooklyn Recording, New York, NY; Legacy Recording, New York, NY; Manhattan Center, New York, NY; The Village, Los Angeles, CA. Author: Julie Taymor. As soundtracks to Beatles-inspired movies go, Across the Universe - the companion piece to Julie Taymor's pseudo-psychedelic fantasmagoria extravaganza that tells the story of the '60s through the tunes of the Fab Four - has bewilderingly gaudy moments, but it's not as appallingly tacky as Sgt. Pepper or as stuffy as All This and World War II. Still, Taymor's overly designed fantasia is at once too tasteful and too garish, which is an odd combination for an odd movie - and something that may be more gripping onscreen than it is on record. Dana Fuchs furiously channels Melissa Etheridge (especially on "Helter Skelter") when her performance is isolated as music, although the biggest surprise is that Bono not only looks like a dead ringer for Robin Williams in the film, but he sounds a bit like him too, with overly earnest readings of "I Am the Walrus" and "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds." Much of the rest slides by agreeably enough. Jim Sturgess has the same plainspoken delivery as Ewan MacGregor in Moulin Rouge, which helps in love songs from "All My Loving" to "Something" - and he does a credible job on the rockabilly revamp of "I've Just Seen a Face" - while Joe Cocker steals the show with his slinky, funky, spacy version of "Come Together." And, apart from Bono and Fuchs' too-strong soulful belting, nothing is distracting - but the biggest strength of Across the Universe may be that, when considered in its entirety, it mainly whets the appetite for the original recordings. [The deluxe version of Across the Universe is a double-disc, 29-track set containing almost all of the songs featured in Taymor's film, all presented in the order they are in the film.] ~ Stephen Thomas Erlewine see more...

• What is your favorite song from this album? 6 Answers
Original Soundtrack - Across the Universe [Deluxe Version]
  • "I loved every song from this movie so of course when I saw I could download the soundtrack I was ecstatic." in 1 review
  • "I'm usually not a big fan on Beatles covers, but I absolutely love this album." in 1 review
  • "The voices are very beautiful and the twists the put on the songs are super cool." in 1 review
Ilze D.
Binghamton, NY
Pop Culture Expert Level 1
I am not the biggest Beatles fan. I like them and appreciate their influence on the music industry, but I don’t have Hey Jude tattooed on me. That being said, I love this film and soundtrack. My favorite is “Happiness is a Warm Gun,” which is both an artistically incredible and emotionally heartbreaking scene. Also, Evan Rachel Wood is an amazing vocalist!
Morgan B.
They did such a good job with all these songs! The fact that they can make such great music into a movie and not make the songs into trash amazes me! I feel they honored The Beatles very well! I often listen to these version on the song a lot too!
Elizabeth J.
Leesburg, GA
This movie is severely underrated. I don't know many people who have seen it, but I LOVE it. I'm a huge fan of musicals and I think this movie does a great job of preserving the integrity of Beatles music and using the songs to weave a beautiful story! The soundtrack is very relaxing and I still love listening to it.
MaryCaroline G.
Charlotte, NC
Pop Culture Expert Level 5
I absolutely love the Beatles, and was a little bit hesitant to watch the movie because I feared it wouldn't be able to adequately express their music. However I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed the movie overall! Now it is one of my absolute favorites.
Amy G.
Killeen, TX
Pop Culture Expert Level 2
This has got to be one of my favorite soundtracks ever. They did a wonderful job remaking the songs. It such a feel good album the movie is amazing. I highly recommend both. Even if you don't like musicals, which I personally don't you will still enjoy the movie.
Renee U.
Revere, MA
Pop Culture Expert Level 3
I love this soundtrack. I'm sure dozens of people have covered The Beatles since they're so iconic but the collaborations and the way all of their voices blend is beautiful. Jim Sturgress has such a good voice and it is so relaxing to listen to:
Gabriele G.
I loved every song from this movie so of course when I saw I could download the soundtrack I was ecstatic. Sure some songs are edited for the album version, but overall the songs are great to just put on and have a good time.
Alex M.
Pasco, WA
Pop Culture Expert Level 2
One of my favorite movie soundtracks, great actors with amazing voices. If you like musicals and a great story check out this movie and soundtrack. My favorite song on this soundtrack is the Hey Jude remake. Love it!
Jacqueline F.
Mt Pleasant, MI
Pop Culture Expert Level 1
Such a beautiful movie and soundtrack. I have always loved their music and I feel like these actors and actresses did all of these songs justice. They sing with their soul and you see so much talent. so beautiful
Madeline A.
Chula Vista, CA
Pop Culture Expert Level 1
Love what they did with the beatles songs. The voices are very beautiful and the twists the put on the songs are super cool. I also recommend the movie if you haven't seen it yet.
Kristine S.
Pop Culture Expert Level 1
What is your favorite song from this album?