Once Upon a Time
Top Questions See all 108 Q&A
- "I cannot stop watching this show because it constantly is changing things up and keeping me entertained from a wide array of fairy tales." in 302 reviews
- "I absolutely love this show I have been watching it since the first season and it gets better each episode and they always throw in new characters from the story book which makes it very interesting " in 100 reviews
- "Started watching it on Netflix (they have the first 3 seasons on Netflix) and I've become so intrigued the way they intertwine all the characters." in 86 reviews
- "Movies show the lifes of fairy tale characters, and they tend to be predictable but once upon a time brings all fairy tale characters to the real world with their own little twist and an awesome backstory that changes the way you see the fairy tales." in 58 reviews
- "Now this is one of my favorite shows my issue with it is that lately it is dragging, it's boring it's not catching my interest like the first I wanna say 3 seasons." in 49 reviews
Basically, the plot is centered around the lives of various fairy tale characters (Snow White, Cinderella, Rumpelstiltskin, Frankenstein, Frozen, the Wicked Witch, the Ice Queen, etc.). What I love about this show is their creativity in the way in which they intertwine the lives of all these characters from different lands and different stories. Some way, somehow, Ariel knows the Evil Queen and the Evil Queen knows the Wicked Witch of the West, just to give an example. Each character has their own background and story, and it's all explained (in time) throughout the show. It's also interesting because these characters don't have the life you would have expected them to have based on what you know from the movies you've seen or the books you've read.
Every season is themed around a particular story. There's one season, for example, that is centered around Peter Pan and takes place mostly in Neverland (probably my favorite season ever; really good part of the show!) and another season takes place in the Underworld and introduces all the Hercules characters. For all you Frozen fans, there's a season centered around just that, too.
What I really liked about the way this show is presented to viewers is that it constantly bounces between past and present. The entire episode consists of what is happening in the present, intertwined with flashbacks of the past that somehow have something to do with what is happening in the present (the connection between the two is usually revealed at the end of the episode). There is ALWAYS a plot twist. Always. And it will always blow your mind. What you least expect to happen, happens.
I recently went back to watch the first season on Netflix for whatever reason, and realized just how corny the show initially was. I didn't notice it the first time around, but when I compared it with more recent seasons, it's heavily dramatic and cliche and probably difficult to get through for some people. I know people who wanted to give the show a chance but couldn't because of the initial cheesiness. If you can get past that, it gets better. Trust me.
But then, it also gets worse. I have stopped watching the show because of the fact that none of the main characters can seem to catch a break. It's battle after battle after conflict after major conflict, and it just became too repetitive (similar conflicts following one another, nothing new and exciting anymore). I'd like to see the show give me just a few episodes of "happily ever after" before introducing the next big obstacle that needs to be dealt with immediately and consumes the lives of all the characters and shatters all their relationships with each other. It became exhausting trying to keep up with the plot and honestly just frustrating because there's just too much happening. It's gotten to the point where I think the show is just being dragged on; as much as I loved it, I think it should have ended a while back.
So even though this was probably my favorite show at one point, I think it's lost its novelty and I hope it can get back on track. I'd like to catch up with the show and see what's happening, if it's improved. Hopefully it has!
PHOTOS & VIDEOS
See All Photos & Videos