BY OKCUPID

OkCupid is a free online dating site that uses a matching system to connect members based on surveys and profile information.

• How many of your matches above 90% were close to you in proximity? 7 Answers
Jillian G.
Nyack, NY
I tried this website because I would be super bored when I was home from school and I figured why not try it out and see? There aren't that many people on there so you have pretty slim pickings. There's a lot of information you have to fill out and it just never worked out for me personally
Kira D.
Summerfield, FL
Unlike Tinder, OKC lets you create an entire profile that can be as detailed as you want. It's not about shallow appearances here; it's about depth and personality. They have a Tinder-like feature too, called Quick Match. They also have an interesting "Match Calculator" that works by asking members many questions that are to be answered with a multiple choice answer (that they let you explain yourself for each answer as well); their calculator then matches you with people it thinks you'll cooperate with, and tells you the exact match percentage as well. These questions range from hygiene (e.g. "How often do you brush your teeth?") to politics (e.g. "Do you prefer privatized or socialized healthcare?") to math and logical reasoning (e.g. "What is 946/32?"). Oh, and I met my fiancee on here =)

I highly recommend this FREE service. There is a paid option, but it's really not necessary at all, unlike Match.com or others. This is totally, absolutely the way to go; and no, it's not full of weird, creepy people. That is not to say, though, that there are some terrible people in the world who take advantage of the anonymity of the internet. Do be careful and trust your instincts. I may have met my future husband here, but I also have lived my share of scary encounters where I truly feared for my safety.
Ana C.
I tried this app for more than a year, going on at least 5 dates a month (different people) when I was active. I'd say the more honest you are answering the questions, the better the matches. I found my guy of several years on here and I would've never met him elsewhere...and he only lived a few miles away from me.

This app zeroes in more on personality than a swipe or thumbs up setting, but there are always wild cards (which can be a good thing or a bad thing). The filters are really helpful for limiting what kind of match you think you'd be interested in. I did this for all kinds of things from age, to distance, religion, and even education.

Overall, super easy to use, and I found that the more developed my profile, the better my matches got. It's also a big boost to have a variety of photos (doing things, with friends, outside, inside, etc), as well as a little something in your profile for people to send message about (I talked about what I did for fun, something quirky about me, etc.).

Cupid might be stupid at times, but he can be an awesome matchmaker if you put in a little to build a profile and message matches!
Simone C.
After a massively horrendous break-up and feeling quite self-loathing, I joined Tinder. In the words of the 2016 Election, that was a dumpster fire. I got a new job, moved to a new state, dumped Tinder, and matured to OkCupid. I moved to an area that likes its acronyms so it took me awhile to not confuse OKC app image with Oklahoma City. I got some really nice guys to chat me up for the first two months or so, and then the random requests for midnight hookups dressed in awful grammar (gonna blame it on the a-a-a-alcohol). I did find a guy to date for about two months. Much more handsome than the profile pic suggested and hella smart. Loved that he was a nurse and was adventurous. So, yay for OKC on that one! Boo that they didn't have a bullshit-o-meter option available because this guy totally dumped me on my birthday via text and said it was because he was moving to Hawaii.

Unless Hawaii looks like the pub on Dickson Street, that dude didn't move anywhere. He may have plenty of luck on OKC, but he sure doesn't know how to work the privacy features on Instagram.
Nina G.
Uugghh where do I even start?! I guess I should say that I am now in a serious relationship and have been for a little bit (no thanks to okCupid). However, before meeting my current boyfriend I thought I'd give this a shot. I had just moved to a new city and didn't know anyone. I didn't expect anyone to be too serious about dating on this site, however it was a worse experience than I imagined. Well, I'd get message after message that was rude or sexually explicit. Sorry but no, I will not sext you on our very first conversation. I did meet one individual from the site. Our interests were very similar so I figured I'd give it a go. He was nice, didn't look like his photo but whatever, his photo wasn't the reason I was there anyway. We talked, it wasn't bad so we decided to hang out again. This time, he made rude comments about other women that walked by And afterwards he let me know that he's planning a sleepover with me and that he better at least get a make out sesh. Never again!!!
Kelsey W.
Woodstock, IL
Techie Expert
Like many, at first I was skeptical about trying online dating. I had seen endless episodes of Catfish in which attempts to "find the one" took turns for the worst, time and time again. It wasn't until a friend signed up that I decided to give it a try as well.

One of the neat things about OkCupid the ability to answer questions about your preferences. You answer what you prefer and you also answer what you would want a potential partner to prefer. With this data from all users, the site is able to calculate a "match percentage" for you and every other member. The users who have a low match percentage to you have opposing beliefs, it makes it easy to focus on people with higher match percentages - people you'll have better connections with.

You do have to give it time. I was a member of OkCupid for 3 years and received messages almost daily, all from people who weren't the right fit. But finally I did meet someone who was a great match, and 4 years later we're now happily married!
Vincent C.
Los Angeles, CA
OK Cupid is a great place if you want to really hone in on finding that special someone that views love and life the way you do. With a deep variety of fun questions to answer, you can see how you rank with matches on a moral level as well as religious, sex, political, and other. With an easy to use navigation, this site remains one of if not the top dating sites out there. The reason for a four and not five star rating is because you are still flooded with a bunch of people that are primarily looking for one night stands. The selection of great options are limited. Most of the big catches are not going to be on here. You're more likely to find the love of your life by getting out into the world and making connections through common hobbies and interests. That's not to say it's not a fun app and good way to meet people.
Miranda H.
Shelbyville, IN
Overall, I have to say that this website is amazing for finding people. Sadly, from what I could see, it didn't have a way for you to limit who all could see your profile due to distance, which leads to a lot of disappointment, especially if you're like me and would prefer someone less than 3 hours away. You can really go in-depth about the type of person you are, which helps weed out the types of people who aren't compatible. I really like their compatibility algorithm, it helps a lot to find like-minded people. It's a nice change of pace in comparison to apps like Tinder where if they leave something out of their bio, you don't really know what you're getting in to until you're already kind of attached. Overall, it's a lovely website/app and I'll continue using it.
Sarah G.
Chicago , IL
As far as dating sites go, OkCupid is fine.

On the positive side, lots of people use it, so the dating pool is good. You can filter the people you search for (although not as well as if you pay for it), and the profiles potentially have a lot of information.

On the negative side, anyone on the site can message you unless specifically blocked. This wouldn't normally be a problem, except OkCupid does very little to regulate their users. You will have to wade through offensive messages, fake profiles, users obviously misrepresenting themselves, and solicitations for prostitution to find the few decent messages you get. Unfortunately, OkCupid doesn't do much at all when you report a user.
Jahaziely N.
Live Oak, TX
If you are looking to find a long lasting relationship, I would say okcupid is in the middle. It's not as serious as e-harmony or match (because it's free) but it's also not a hookup website/app like tinder or MeetMe. The thing is, very few people who are online, are on the same page. So while you can find someone on here to share some time with, you probably won't find your soul mate. One of my most favorite (and their most unique trait) is that there is a percentile system that is based on the answers you give to a plethora of questions they ask. This is an optional feature, which means that it's not required but I recommend it. The higher the percentage, the more compatible you are supposed to be with someone. Sometimes it's spot on, other times it's not. Either way, I really think this is better than most dating apps, but don't expect to find your soul mate.
Julia R.
Prattville, AL
How many of your matches above 90% were close to you in proximity?