BY OKCUPID

OkCupid is a free online dating site that uses a matching system to connect members based on surveys and profile information.

• How many of your matches above 90% were close to you in proximity? 7 Answers
JJ G.
JJ G.
Park City, UT
Honey, we have too many choices... & that's a bad thing. Plenty of first dates. Fun 'hang out' dates (when I'm LA based), but having been on/off this app, there are people who are on it constantly. I don't think a relationship is really what is sought, though I get plenty of propositions, bad pickup lines included.

While im living in one city, I can meet some very interesting people. When I live in my other city, I find about 3 I've even bothered to engage. The quality of men has been okay in LA, however, it's not an app for people who really want commitment. If you're just in it to meet new people & have zero expectations about dating, great.

In Salt Lake City, the quality of the men is abysmal. From éducation, to simply the way 40+ year old men look here vs. there is so vastly different, it hardly feels like the same site! I don't expect gifts, however, the Utah men generally fit in to one or more of these catagories:
1. Divorced, 33 years old, 4 kids, may or may not be educated.
2. Single, 45, looking for a younger hookup, uneducated.
3. Single dad who is looking for a replacement mum, toy/trophy & a ready-made family... tomorrow.
4. Single, divorced, bitter toward all women, says upon the first conversation that I should change my name. Uneducated.
5. Sexist. Education can go either way.

I have admittedly lived a life that's far removed from the norm, especially if you're looking at people of a similar age. That being said, Utah makes it nearly impossible to meet genuine people due to cultural, religious & lower standards in general.

The questions asked to 'match' people are good in theory, however, many men lie. It's obvious what most people expect a 'suitable' match to say & many parrot it, even though they're not at all like that.

All in all, it's free, so what the heck. That said, having paid for eHarmony, while quality is a vast improvement (well, mostly...) there's still the issue of connecting & actually seeing each other more than once.

I'd give it more stars were there a better way to prevent the overflow of men whom I specifically state, I will not date. Example: no one younger than I... and then I get a message from a 21 year old. That age preference (I like older men) has been the case from the time I began dating. Plus, at 21, the maturity level is not even comparable to a 29-30 year old woman.
Kelsey W.
Kelsey W.
Oakwood Hills, IL
Techie Expert
Like many, at first I was skeptical about trying online dating. I had seen endless episodes of Catfish in which attempts to "find the one" took turns for the worst, time and time again. It wasn't until a friend signed up that I decided to give it a try as well.

One of the neat things about OkCupid the ability to answer questions about your preferences. You answer what you prefer and you also answer what you would want a potential partner to prefer. With this data from all users, the site is able to calculate a "match percentage" for you and every other member. The users who have a low match percentage to you have opposing beliefs, it makes it easy to focus on people with higher match percentages - people you'll have better connections with.

You do have to give it time. I was a member of OkCupid for 3 years and received messages almost daily, all from people who weren't the right fit. But finally I did meet someone who was a great match, and 4 years later we're now happily married!
Jahaziely N.
Jahaziely N.
Live Oak, TX
If you are looking to find a long lasting relationship, I would say okcupid is in the middle. It's not as serious as e-harmony or match (because it's free) but it's also not a hookup website/app like tinder or MeetMe. The thing is, very few people who are online, are on the same page. So while you can find someone on here to share some time with, you probably won't find your soul mate. One of my most favorite (and their most unique trait) is that there is a percentile system that is based on the answers you give to a plethora of questions they ask. This is an optional feature, which means that it's not required but I recommend it. The higher the percentage, the more compatible you are supposed to be with someone. Sometimes it's spot on, other times it's not. Either way, I really think this is better than most dating apps, but don't expect to find your soul mate.
Miranda H.
Miranda H.
Shelbyville, IN
Overall, I have to say that this website is amazing for finding people. Sadly, from what I could see, it didn't have a way for you to limit who all could see your profile due to distance, which leads to a lot of disappointment, especially if you're like me and would prefer someone less than 3 hours away. You can really go in-depth about the type of person you are, which helps weed out the types of people who aren't compatible. I really like their compatibility algorithm, it helps a lot to find like-minded people. It's a nice change of pace in comparison to apps like Tinder where if they leave something out of their bio, you don't really know what you're getting in to until you're already kind of attached. Overall, it's a lovely website/app and I'll continue using it.
Amaretta A.
Amaretta A.
Loma Linda, CA
I have split feelings about OkCupid...in terms of Research, OkCupid actually produces some interesting research and statistics based on their users' profiles. I had a college psychology professor who actually discussed OkCupid's studies in class. If you're new to or want to learn more about online dating, some of their studies are actually worth reading.

On the other hand, in terms of a dating site.... seconds (yes seconds) after activating my account I already had messages from a number of guys who did not match any of my preferences and were obviously looking for one thing. 😒 The amount of effort it took filtering and weeding through "Mis-matches" was simply ridiculous and not worth my time. There ARE better sites/ apps out there.

Gaylen C.
Gaylen C.
Bowling Green, KY
I met my boyfriend through this app. Out of all the dating apps that I've tried, this is by far the most beneficial dating app that I've ever used. There are the usual creeps on here, but they're easy enough to ignore. Most of the guys are pretty nice and it's fairly easy to be straight forward about what you want on your profile so that you don't have to have that talk with every single person that you message or that messages you. The key to making a dating app work for you is some preliminary research, however. It's pretty easy to find an article that lists whichever app or website has the most users from wherever you live. At the time, this had the most users from my state so that's part of why I had so much success with it.
Lilian O.
Lilian O.
Old Bridge, NJ
There are more boys than men on this app. Most of these guys are rude and creepy, and the definition of a f*ckboy that thinks despite you not being interested because they're interested that you owe them something. There are a few genuine good guys on here and I mean actually good guys not the self proclaimed "Nice guys" that apparently no women want to take a chance on and they can't imagine why (because they have horrible attitudes and low self confidence). Also if you aren't white beware of the fetishist white men on here that think you'd be turn to know they want to try out whatever race you are as if you're not a human being. Lots of losers to weed out but if you wait long enough you should meet a decent guy.
Sade W.
Sade W.
Its really interesting. I love the questions and quizzes. It asks things that could really tell you about someone's personality and beliefs that would take a little while to uncover. It lists multiple sexualitis, how ever it seems like itwill still kind of cater to find the opposite gender for you of your bisexual. There are tons of interesting people I've met. Surprisingly I don't have any horror stories or crazy people stories about this site. Most of its user as are pretty chill. They've gotten a little greedy trying to keep up with other dating apps and now charge for things that are a little ridiculous. I've yet to really find anyone on the site but its a good way to pass the time.
Kathryn L.
Kathryn L.
Birmingham, MI
I was satisfied with the app, but found the actual service to be less than desirable for a few reasons. One, with a free app, the people on the app may not be as committed to meeting and connecting and also may be more interested in short term hookup scenarios versus dating. It was difficult to forge a connection with anyone on the app for that reason. Second, there are a large amount of possible fields on a profile yet most of these fields are optional. This meant some users would have a very through profile and others quite sparse. How do you compare when you're given an incomplete pictures of a candidate? Wish they would make more of the fields required.
Michelle H.
Michelle H.
Milford, DE
My experience on OKcupid has been a hit and miss. I first signed up back in 2013 and I met a man but it fell through after a while. So. I decided to give yhe site a second chance and it's been a wasre of time. Yes, you meet different people that live in your area but most of them are looking for a one night stand. I feel like it is totally impossible to find someone worth the time or, if you have "upgraded" your profile, then you have totally wasted your money on people who are not in this for something real, which I think is the point of a dating site. However, if you're just looking to waste your time and someone elses then this might be the app for you!
Julia R.
Julia R.
Prattville, AL
How many of your matches above 90% were close to you in proximity?