NOW Foods Virgin Coconut Oil uploaded by Deborah L.

BY NOW FOODS

Dietary Supplement Certified Organic Cold-Pressed and Unrefined 100% Pure NOW® Organic Virgin Coconut Oil is a high grade, unrefined premium nutritional edible oil obtained from the first cold pressing of organic coconut kernels. Virgin Coconut Oil is naturally trans-fatty acid free and high in medium chain triglycerides . This oil typically contains the following beneficial fatty acids per serving : Lauric Acid 6.5 g, Myristic Acid 2.4 g, Caprylic Acid 1.0 g, Capric Acid 800 mg, Oleic Acid 800 mg and Linoleic Acid 200 mg Contains no: sugar, salt, starch, yeast, wheat, gluten, corn, soy, milk, egg, shellfish or preservatives. Vegetarian/Vegan Product. Certified Organic by Quality Assurance International see more...

• Does this help for acne prone skin ? I have very oily s...3 Answers
  • Anybody know the general price of this? 3 Answers
  • How would you use this as a hair mask? (Step by step please)4 Answers
NOW Foods Virgin Coconut Oil
  • "I use one for cooking, one for oil-pulling, one for makeup remover and moisturiser, one to make homemade scrubs, and lastly one for hair masks!" in 7 reviews
  • "I use it as a hair mask, a face moisturizer (it has natural antibacterial properties so it will not cause breakouts), I use it for frying, as a mouth wash (pulling)." in 5 reviews
Melissa S.
Hickory Hills, IL
I'd like to post a little bit(or more) about my personal situation and why this product works for me.

I have a very rare muscle disorder-CPT2 deficiency, it is a condition that prevents the body from using certain fats for energy, particularly during periods without food (fasting). Even if it's one day and you skip meals, you could be putting yourself in a dangerous situation espeecially if other triggers are present. The deficiency is characterized by recurrent episodes of muscle pain (myalgia) and weakness, and is associated with the breakdown of muscle tissue (rhabdomyolysis). The destruction of muscle tissue releases a protein called myoglobin, which is processed by the kidneys and released in the urine (myoglobinuria). Myoglobin causes the urine to be red or brown. This protein can also damage the kidneys, in some cases leading to life-threatening kidney failure. Episodes of myalgia and rhabdomyolysis may be triggered by exercise, stress, exposure to extreme temperatures, infections, or fasting. Most people with my form of CPT II deficiency have no signs or symptoms of the disorder between episodes.

With that said, and in a nutshell, my skeletal muscle does not convert almost all fats into fuel. I HAVE to control my deficiency with diet, high carb, very very low fat. Because I so need some fat in my diet, and because cooking most times requires some sort of oil or spray it's very important I am using he right products-Medium Chain Fatty Acids or Triglycerides.

This product, along with the NOW MCT oil have given me back a life I lost for nearly 4 years. Most people it seems would use this product or MCT oil for a healtheir option to aid in weight loss, but in my case it is essential that I stay away from oils that are typically used in cooking. It's also important to make sure you cook at the right temperature when using these products.

My review is very very specific to me personally, but I would recommend anyone taking cholesterol lowering medications WHO ALSO experience muscle weakness or cramps/pain to transition over to medium chain fatty acids. I have been forced to learn how to relive life and simple tasks such as blow drying my hair or chopping vegetables can quickly cause my forearms to turn into "dead weight". This journey I've been on the past 4 years has been rough, learning that what I have is something that I can control and that there are products out there like the NOW foods MCT oils and Coconut oil have made such a significant impact on my quality of life. I know that my use of these products is oddly unique versus most consumers, but without them basic everyday task such as typing, like I'm doing right now, would be impossible. I credit these products for improving my quality of life and really, giving me the will to press on instead of giving up and letting this disorder take me.

Sorry for the long, detailed, and totally unexpected review, but what I have is so rare that to this date I've yet to meet another adult with my disorder. I do know of a few children who have this but their disorder is different from mine which was adult onset. I know the feeling of isolation, and I think it's important to put myself out there a bit just in case there happens to be another person in the world doing extensive online searching to let them know YOU ARE NOT ALONE! THERE IS A SUPPORT GROUP FOR US FOD'S AND THAT GROUP MADE THESE CRUCIAL PRODUCTS KNOWN TO ME!

Thank you for taking the time to read, if you did :)
Arin G.
Salina, KS
I love this stuff and the NOW brand! The quality is great and not only is it good for cooking, it's great to use for natural remedies! I use it quite often for my lactation cookie recipes. I have bought from this brand time and time again! Repeat customer for sure.
Alissa P.
Richmond, IN
Wellness Guru Expert Level 3
Coconut oil is a wonder! Cooking, baking, hair, skin, even as a supplement for the fatty acids!
Great to use in cooking and baking. Remember it will impart a slight coconut flavor to your dish. Refined coconut oil does not impart coconut flavor but is nutritionally inferior.
Hair - I use this weekly as a pre wash treatment. Use it in DIY deep conditioner, tame frizz, scrunch out the crunch of gel, seal in moisture after washing, pre-swim treatment to minimize water/sun/chlorine damage, melt a bit and add it to shampoo to provide detangling benefits and more! Coconut oil is the best hair penetrating oil there is. Meaning more of it actually penetrates the hair shaft to provide the benefits deeper into your hair.
Skin - the fatty acids are an excellent emollient for skin. I use it straight, and in recipes for homemade lotion, lotion bars, lip balms etc. Works as a makeup remover (even waterproof eye makeup), nail/cuticle oil, and much more.
Bonus tip: oil pulling. No, I don't believe oil pulling will cure all ills as some claim. But doing this prior to brushing will help loosen the plaque and debris in your mouth making brushing more effective. The Virgin Coconut oil tastes much better for oil pulling than refined!
Sarah G.
1,051 reviews
Wellness Guru Expert Level 4
There is nothing better to cook with then now brand organic cold pressed redefined coconut oil. Not only is it great for cooking but also so great for moistorizing your hair or skin and making organic homemade soap!!
Laura B.
Reseda, CA
Coconut oil is my holy grail beauty product. You can literally use this for anything. I use it as a hair mask, I just warm some up over the stove and let it soak in my hair. It makes my hair super soft and repairs my damaged split ends. I also like to use this to remove my make up. Mascara and eye liner can be a pain to take off, but when I use coconut oil it comes off easily.

Not only is this great for make up, it works well in the kitchen. In any recipe that calls for vegetable oil, or any kind of oil you can substitute it for coconut oil. I also love buying it in the spray can it makes it easier when cooking on a pan or baking!

Overall, I love the health benefits of coconut oil. And it is my secret to my healthy recipes in the kitchen!
Catherine C.
I use this oil for multiple reasons, hair treatments, makeup removal, cooking, cuticle removal, moisturizer, etc. It works so well with everything and does NOT break me out (I have sensitive, acne prone, oily skin and I am a polish woman in my early 20's with light skin and yellow undertones for reference). This takes off my water proof mascara, all of my foundation, and any thing else on my face. I use a cleanser after I use this as a makeup remover, just so my face isn't oily when I go to sleep, but this really works well for everything!! My hair is growing so nicely and quickly when I use this once weekly. Great product and it's all natural!
Jennifer  C.
richland wa
Coconut oil!!! this is my go to .. my mvp! I try to keep a couple jars so I never run out.. i use it for everything!! its a miracle cream!! it helps with my dry scalp, dry skin, my babies diaper rash! it helps fade scares, it soothes the skin. Coconut oil is so healthy and helpful, everyone should have a jar in their home. you can even use it on pets.. for their dry skin or itching,, i mean there really is so many different uses .go buy a jar and keep it for your just incase kit!!!!
Lindsay L.
I use coconut oil for so many reasons. First of all, when you're a frizzy haired and sensitive skinned person like myself - this is a miracle worker. I also have a lot of food sensitivities and it's pretty amazing what you can use coconut oil as a substitute for. It's also good for oil-pulling which helps to detox your body. It also makes a good lubricant if you're super sensitive down under* because it's an oil, it will weaken condoms, so don't make the switch if you rely on those.
Melissa B.
Revere, MA
Wellness Guru Expert Level 3
This is a miracle product. I have literally used it for a million different things around the house. I've used it as a moisturizer, for oil pulling, cooking and baking, lip balm and in smoothies. This is a very healthy product with a million uses. It's not insanely expensive, but defintely shop around at different stores for the best price,
Layne W.
Mount Olive, AL
Soooo I joined the Coconut bandwagon! I use this stuff to cook with, as a skin moisturizer, I use it to remove my eye makeup. Just so many uses and super cheap. This particular one is priced in the mid to high range but even off brands are great! I just like to buy from a company Ive heard of and this stuff is great!!!
Sarah K.
Milwaukee, WI
What is the best way to use it for beauty benefits?
alyssa m.
Riverbank, CA
Has anyone tried coconut oil as a substitute for shaving gel?
Jillian M.
Arlington, MA
Wellness Guru Expert Level 2
I have always wanted to try coconut oil out for my skin and hair. I have heard you need to use all natural pure coconut oil, does this specific one count as being good for those applications?
Juana M.
I constantly hear that coconut oil is used for the kitchen and for beauty purposes? Considering giving this product a try. I spend so much trying to find the right products for my face and hair, so this would save me so much if it's true!
Hallie R.
Apollo Beach, FL
Does this work as well on curly hair as I've heard?

Walmart