Nirvana 2002/Nirvana 2002 - Recordings 89-91 [Digipak] uploaded by Deb K.Nirvana 2002/Nirvana 2002 - Recordings 89-91 [Digipak] uploaded by Deb K.Nirvana 2002/Nirvana 2002 - Recordings 89-91 [Digipak] uploaded by Deb K.

BY NONE #53 in Music

Liner Note Author: Tomas Lindberg. Recording information: Studio Edsbyn (??/1989-01/2007); Sunlight Studio (??/1989-01/2007).This disc collects all the existing recordings of a decent Swedish death metal act. They've got the distorted guitar tone, the D-beat drumming, and vocals that sound heavily indebted to Obituary's John Tardy (albeit much more comprehensible, whether for good or ill) - basically, they check all the boxes. But it's hard to say what they bring to the music's history that's new, other than the story behind their name. They had just decided to call themselves Nirvana instead of Prophet 2002 when they came across a single by some Seattle-based garage punk outfit with the same name, so they tacked "2002" on, combining old and new and figuring that would cover their bases. Nirvana 2002 wound up toiling in total obscurity for three years, then calling it quits - there are absolutely no officially released recordings here; it's all demos, rehearsals and one live track. Indeed, the group's four-song Disembodied Spirits demo - their major achievement - appears twice, in a newly remixed version that actually paints them in a pretty favorable light, musically speaking, and at the end of the disc in its original, raw, 20-year-old form. Oh, and about that live track: It was recorded at a one-off 2007 reunion performance, staged to celebrate the release of Daniel Ekeroth's exhaustive book Swedish Death Metal, in which Nirvana 2002 were recalled quite favorably. If you're a total obsessive like Ekeroth, you'll love this; if you're just a garden-variety metalhead, you'll probably enjoy it but shouldn't go out of your way to hear it, or come in expecting revelations. ~ Phil Freeman see more...

Nirvana 2002/Nirvana 2002 - Recordings 89-91 [Digipak]
  • "It is a timeless band and Kurt Cobain is an inspiration to so many people." in 1 review
  • "It's very convenient to have all the songs by this band together. " in 1 review
Deb K.
I was straight up punk and rock until Kurt and Nirvana showed up. While I wouldn't go so far as to say "grunge" in general changed the way I looked / listened to music, I would most definitely say that Kurt Cobain and Nirvana's approach to grunge did.

As an FYI, Nirvana 2000 was the third Nirvana album to be released following the death of Kurt Cobain in April 1994. Here's a list of songs of the 14 songs on the album:

You Know You're Right
Ra*e Me
Dumb
All Apologies
The Man Who Sold the World

Smells Like Teen Spirit, In Bloom, Come As You Are and Lithium are all from Nevermind
Heart-Shaped Box, Pennyroyal Tea, Dumb and Ra*e Me are from In Utero
All Apologies and The Man Who Sold the World are from MTV Unplugged in New York
About a Girl is from Bleached
Been a Son is from Blew
Sliver is from Incesticide
You Know You're Right was previously unreleased
Chelsea S.
Nirvana is one of those bands that you either love them or hate them. Personally, I love them. But they are a very unorganized punk band that some people can't stand the sound of. I love them and I think anyone who truly appreciates music would love them too!
Sonya M.
Greenville, SC
This is Nirvana. Unless you've been living under a rock for the last 20+ years, you realize what an impact they had on rock music as a whole by creating a new genre of music...grunge! Yet Kurt Cobain's song lyrics will blow you away. It's like a peek into the mind of a genius!
Sabina B.
Pop Culture Expert Level 2
If you don't know who Nirvana is or Kurt Cobain is than you have been living under a rock! Very popular in the late 90, it was definitely playing at every house party we used to go to! Ahhh flashback to the good old days
Heather R.
Cumberland , MD
How could anyone not love nirvana I mean come on this music is life you really don't know good music If you haven't heard at least 1 one their songs my father got me listening to it and I have loved it my whole life
Lauraa T.
Summit, Illinois
Veo las reseñas que dicen que es excelente banda ,pues nubca la habia escuchado ,casi no me gusta este tipo de musica pero voy a escucharlo para cambiar mi mente de como son de buenos estos chicos ,tratare
Heather S.
Lancaster, OH
I grew up a Gen X'er and he was the voice of my generation. So many of us felt isolated and alone and turned to Nirvana. The messages in the songs sounded familiar and gave many of us something to cling to. I wish Kurt was still alive today to see the impact he had on alternative music. And the impact he had on me and the rest of Gen X. We miss you man!!!
Jennifer H.
Sparrows Point, MD
Pop Culture Expert Level 3
Nirvana was a great band. They have amazing songs. They had one of the best acoustic appearances on MTV Unplugged. It's a shame what happened to Kurt Cobain. I would of love to hear what other great songs they would of came up with. Also, Kurt Cobain's story of how Nirvana came about, is pretty awesome.
Dia D.
Hueytown, AL
Pop Culture Expert Level 2
Kurt Cobain was such an amazing human being! He had such a hard life but man did he write some amazing music along the way. I was heartbroken when I found out that he died. I can still remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when I heard about his passing. His music will forever be legendary!
Sarah H.
Smithfield, IL
Pop Culture Expert Level 3
Literally as I started typing this review, Nirvana comes on the radio! I loved Kurt Cobain's voice so much, and was so sad when he passed at such a young age. It would be amazing to see what he could have become in the present. Now I'm obsessed even more with the Foo Fighters thanks to my past listening to Nirvana!
Wendy S.
Marion, MS
Pop Culture Expert Level 1
What is yalls favorite Nirvana song?
Maria L.
Whittier, CA
Are they still producing music even now?
Dreama A.
Did Courtney murder Kurt or was it really suicide?
SARAH L.
Windom, TX
What's your favorite song?
Reina H.
Watsonville, CA
What are your top 3 favorite songs? And what are some similar artists?