BY NIKON #7 in SLRs

Capture and share vibrant, lifelike imagesThe Nikon D5300 is the first in a new generation of Wi-Fi enabled, ultra-high-resolution Nikon HD-SLRs. With built-in Wi-Fi for photo sharing to a smartphone or tablet, GPS and mapping, a 24.2-megapixel image sensor, an extra-large swiveling Vari-angle LCD and more, the D5300 brings an outstanding new level of image quality and capabilities in a compact, ergonomic design. Pair it with any NIKKOR lens and unleash the full potential of its innovative image sensor. Your photos will be richer and truer to life than most photos you've seen. HD video will have a stunning cinematic look, a level of sharpness and clarity that ignites on ultra- high-resolution tablets, laptops and TVs.A new level of image qualityThe sharpness, clarity and richness of colors in the D5300's photos and full HD videos is nothing short of astounding. A recent design innovation allows the D5300's 24.2-megapixel DX format CMOS image sensor to capture pure, lifelike images. Enlarge or crop your photos without losing any sharpness or detail. Pair that capability with any exceptional NIKKOR lens and you'll experience the image quality your memories deserve. Extra-large swiveling Vari-angle display The D5300's extra-large ultra-high resolution Vari-angle LCD swivels 180 so you can shoot from exciting new angles. Hold the camera overhead for great shots over a crowd or hold the camera down low for a fun face-to-face perspective of your pet. Create some of your best selfies and frame a stunning new profile pic, then upload it right to web, thanks to Wi-Fi connectivity! Focus where you want itWhether shooting stationary subjects, candid photos, high-speed action or full HD video, the D5300 keeps subjects in focus. Its 39-point high-density autofocus system with 9 cross-type sensors quickly locks onto your subject, and Nikon's unique 3D-tracking uses the 2,016-pixel RGB sensor to recognize and follow it across the frame. 18-55mm Ultra Wide Angle Zoom LensThis compact see more...

• Would this be a good camera for a beginning photographer?3 Answers
  • My Nikon keeps giving me the shutter alert. And I have to...2 Answers
  • Does this take professional looking photos?4 Answers
HEATHER C.
Techie Expert Level 2
I like this camera more than I thought I would. My intent was to use the camera as though it was a specialized lens (albeit with a camera already attached) – to be used infrequently, and in lieu of my other camera/lens combinations when it was not practical to physically reposition myself to get an acceptable image of distant subjects. I was surprised to find that it does this well, and it is comfortable enough to carry and use on many general purpose occasions. It is not a substitute for a more technically capable (and even more expensive) DSLR or mirrorless camera. Its most notable shortcomings are due to its .43 inch sensor, lack of a hot shoe, lack of an external microphone port, and lack of RAW image output. Zoom and manual focus controls are available on the lens barrel as well as in the typical positions on the camera body.Most functions are intuitively accessible to those accustomed to typical “PSAM” controls, but manual focus is not so straight-forward. Going through the steps required to use manual focus (a necessity at extreme zoom range) requires a bit of learning and practice, but is definitely worthwhile.
Still and HD video images are very good as long as subjects are well lit. It takes 67mm. lens filters (They don’t interfere with lens travel, but vignette at shorter focal lengths.) At least one company makes a collapsible rubber lens hood that works well with this camera.I have not tested or used its GPS location utilities, nor have I used its Wi-Fi functions,yet! If you need the extremely long focal length, this camera is a good buy. If you don’t, there are other bridge cameras that offer comparable performance at much lower sizes and prices.
Sandra T.
I purchased my Nikon D3500 at Costco during Christmas time. The bundle came with a carrying case, a long lens, two batteries, the battery charger pack and the neck strap. The coolest feature is the camera is equipped with Bluetooth and photo can be sent to your phone in a matter of seconds. I'm a beginner and even though I probably have a lot to learn, I am able to take beautiful and clear picture on the automatic setting.
Tara T.
Austin
I love my Nikon D5300. The picture quality is absolutely amazing, and it is such a versatile camera. I have three lenses for this camera body, and they all work wonderfully. The video quality is top notch, and with a microphone attached the audio is great too. I love this camera and use it for both outdoor photography and indoor shoots. I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a professional quality camera.
Alyssa P.
Sumter, SC
Techie Expert Level 1
For starters, 4 stars because It wont let me use Kelvin for white balance, but other than that, zI love this camera, I have it as a second camera, and personal, and its also the one I use for my videos on youtube.

Love the quality. Love the wifi. Love the screen that you can flip.

Sample photo attached. Dole Plantation in Oahu.
Brittany D.
Waconia
I received this camera about a year and a half ago as a graduation gift! I used it for over a year as a wonderful camera photography but now I also use it to film my vlogs that I upload every week! It's got great durability and is my favorite camera!
David A.
I absolutely love using this camera when I take my pictures. I’m an automotive photographer as well as anything else people want me to shoot for them. The screen on this camera is a huge upside and the quality of the camera and the pictures is wonderful. Its a great price for what you get and you definitely won’t be disappointed. It’s  very easy to use and you’ll become a master within a few days!
Kristy C.
Abington, PA
Techie Expert Level 2
I honestly don’t know what I did before this camera. The photos are amazing. You can switch between auto or manual if you are photo savvy. I use this camera for blogging and vlogging. The videos are also amazing. I highly suggest getting one for anyone interested in photography or amazing family photos. I love it. Nikon D5300 DSLR Camera Body (Black)
Krista P.
Dickson, TN
Techie Expert Level 1
I have compared 4 Nikon SLR cameras and this one is the best, hands down! The picture clarity is awesome! Picture noise is not an issue! With the others it was an issue, but not with this one! Easy to use! This camera is SO LIGHTWEIGHT! My lenses work better on this camera than they did on the previous models! And this is so fun to use! I am an avid nature photographer enthusiast and love taking shots of birds in flight. They come out clear!! Of course it takes work, but this camera makes it fun and when the day is done you have great pictures to show for your work. I only use the manual settings and I am so pleased with how interactive they are. The display is easy to read and understand and also informative. I am so pleased with this camera! I spent about a week with each camera, but after less than an hour with this one, I was totally sold. And the battery life is great, too.
Justin B.
Peekskill, NY
I originally purchased this camera as a starter camera with the intentions of upgrading soon after. However, its performance has been impeccable and I’ve decided to hold on to it a little longer. Not only is the quality great but the durability as well. It’s resilience makes it great for nature shots but its features make it compatible with really any type of photography. I was also impressed with its price. Seeing as how most photography equipment is very expensive, I appreciated the cost of the Nikon D5300 DSLR Camera Body (Black) because i didn’t break the bank but was still shocked with how great of a camera it truly is. I would recommend this camera to any person trying to get into photography, videography or even just deciding to use it as a personal camera.
Gwen S.
Winter Garden, FL
Techie Expert Level 1
This is an amazing camera for any beginner or pro. It's easy to use, has many features, and can be used for every day photography or special occasions. I bought mine as a kit, and I take it everywhere. I've shot engagements, weddings, and family portraits with this camera, and I have received compliments each time. It's built in wireless makes it easy to transfer photos to social media. If you're just getting into photography I highly recommend this DSLR camera.
Leticia P.
Pensacola, FL
I really want to invest in a very good camera, how is the quality on this product? Is it worth the price?
Adreanna A.
Nikon or Canon- which is better ?
Makenzie K.
I have the Nikon D3300 and I was wondering what the difference between my camera and this one is. I really like photography but I don't know if I want to upgrade if it's not worth it.
Brittany B.
Does this take professional looking photos?
Nina M.
Ithaca, NY
Would this be a good camera for a beginning photographer?