Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Prime Lens - Black uploaded by cortney p.Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Prime Lens - Black uploaded by Angellica B.Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Prime Lens - Black uploaded by Madiha K.

BY NIKON #3 in Camera Lenses

The compact and lightweight nikon af nikkor prime lens is a great choice for travel, portrait, sports and general photography. It offers a minimum focusing distance of 1.5'. the nikon 50 lens has a fast f/1.8 aperture that blurs the background (bokeh) to creatively highlight the subject. It also lets you capture clear photographs in low-light conditions. In the live view shooting mode, you can use the aperture control ring to manually focus the lens. Plus, it has a rotating zoom system. This nikkor lens has a super integrated coating, which reduces ghosting and flaring. Its filter has a 52.0 mm diameter. This moisture-resistant... see more...

Caroline B.
Boston, MA
Takes the most stunning photos and the depth of field is absolutely beautiful. Very versatile for portraits. As my first lens purchase, this 'nifty fifty' has encouraged me to abandon my kit lens and seek better quality lenses for my specific uses. I'm a film/communications student so this lens gets a ton of usage.
Sarah Z.
Techie Expert Level 1
This lens is wonderful, they call it the "Nifty Fifty" for a reason!

But I have to reiterate - if you have a camera without an autofocus motor built into it (look it up if unsure), you probably don't want *THIS* 50mm lens, you want the AF-S 50mm one. I'm one of those people with a cheaper camera, no built in autofocus (Nikon D3100) and I bought this lens. It's a little tricky to get the hang of focusing every photo manually, but you get better with practice. When I bought this lens, it was all I could afford, which is why I got AF instead of the AF-S. However, I highly recommend saving up a little extra cash and going with the AF-S. I wish I would've done that. I plan on trading this one in for the AF-S very soon. It's tough when you go to edit your photos and realize half of them are out of focus because it's hard to see tiny details through your viewfinder. If you have a camera with autofocus built in, 100% get this lens though!!!

Regardless, this is a great little lens. Very sharp, and gives that nice creamy blurred background, even more so than my 35mm (which I also love). It's perfect for portraits! It can be tricky shooting indoors with it, if you don't have a ton of space to back up and get your subject in the frame. 35mm is a bit better for smaller indoor spaces. But this a wonderful lens and a staple for every photographer's kit.
Shalom C.
Raleigh , NC
Techie Expert Level 1
This prime lens is great for portraits as well as for lowlight photography and videography. It provides bokeh effect (blurred background), making your subject stand out.
Mackenzie M.
Furzton, Milton Keynes
I bought this lens and ultimately returned it, but let me explain. I have the D7200 so the lack of autofocus drive wasn't an issue for me. This is a great, inexpensive lens for those who want to expand their image taking abilities. The reason that I returned it though is that on the APS-C this is about the equivalent of a 72mm lens. I was so used to using my 35mm (approx. the 50mm equivalent) that using this just threw me for a loop. I couldn't quite figure out where I should stand in relation to my subject.

That said, it's a great lens for not a lot of money for anyone looking to move beyond the 18-55.
Emily B.
Wake Forest, NC
I have this lens. It is probably one of my cheaper lens, but it is by far my "go-to" lens. It never disappoints on how sharp the pic turns out to be. I love taking portraits with it. I love taking it on trips. It's always reliable, and I would highly recommend it.
David W.
Wilson, NC
Sup sibyl they call this the nifty fifty lense! One of the must haves, bought a entire set up mid range lenses back drops reflectors tons of stuff, was so excited to get this lense until I tried it. It's was awful, hard to focus and did not like the shot it may just have been hard to work with but it did not work out for me at all so I sold it!
Nilofar b.
I have this lens and bought it a few years ago when I first got my camera. I think this is a good lens to have, especially if you want to do portrait photography, which is why I bought this lens. It's a bit pricey, but a good lens to have.
Angellica B.
Stockbridge, GA
Techie Expert Level 1
Love love LOVE this lens!!! I'm new to DSLR photography and this is a definite lens to get! All of my pics and videos look so clear and perfect. I really wouldn't know what I would do if I was stuck with the lens that came with my camera. Great buy!
Ana H.
Dallas, TX
My friends always ask me how I get those indoor volleyball & basketball shots without a flash or how I get those great portrait shots of people that is all about their face and not the background. They think it's always about the camera. Yes, I love Nikon and only buy Nikon as I learned to shoot with one as a kid and never looked back. But, the lens is almost as important if not more so. This prime lens is fast so it allows you to open the aperture up and shoot with a high shutter speed to freeze the action even in indoor situations where flash isn't welcome. It also allows you to open the aperture which decreases the depth of field giving you that sharp facial composition with the watery, dreamy background for portraits. It is an exceptional value! It is the first lens I recommend my friends get to add to their bag. So they know, I tell them photography is not a "spectator sport", you have to get up and move with this lens but you'll get some of the best shots.
Amber B.
Ponte Vedra, FL
I love this lens for portraits. It focuses really well and creates a nice bokeh. It is easy to use and worth the price. I definitely recommend it, especially for beginners just starting to expand their lens collection.
amy c.
Louisa, KY
I have a Nikon 3200 hundred and am really wanting this lens for portrait photography. I'm no professional, but I take pictures for family and friends. I am fairly new to the photography world and am curious whether to go the 1.8g or 1.8d?
Stephanie G.
What is this lens best used for?
David P.
La Mesa, CA
Curious to know how many people started with this lens and upgraded to the 50mm 1.8G version?
Valarie M.
Anyone have any photos they've taken with this lens that they could show?
Brittney M.
Springfield, OH
Is this the manual focus lens?