Nikon 16.0 MP Coolpix Digital Camera

by Nikon

Nikon B500 16.0 MP Coolpix Digital Camera

No one has asked a question yet! Be the first!
+ Ask a question
Start your review of Nikon 16.0 MP Coolpix Digital Camera!
Annie G.
Tucson, AZ
Purchased at: Walmart
The Nikon Coolpix B500 is an amateur photographers dream. My red CoolPix B500 has a 16MP lens with a wide frame shot capable of zooming 40x Optical format. I would learn the is a dynamic zoom of up to 80x. Through researching for this review .On-board is a 3-inch VGA tilt LCD. The camera can film in high definition and uses multimedia interfacing. An application can be found in the Apple Store or Google Play Store titled SnapBridge. This application allows you to connect the camera to the smart device. In the App you can sleep the camera. And take video or photos at distance with ease. The camera has multiple settings. When you purchase the camera you can turn the Scene dial to switch modes and functions. Each mode has different default and changeable user settings limited to the capacity of the camera notwithstanding. On the Scene dial there is the default Auto camera mode, Film mode, Portrait mode (includes a special pet setting), Sports mode, Landscape Mode, Night mode. The camera has editing, date of photo and time options, there is an on-board microphone that is great for not just recording those nearest to the photographer, but I captured the crowd of an audience chanting at a Women's March 2020 in Tucson, AZ. This camera was light weight, easy to grip. The control panel are very user friendly especially for a neophyte photographer not wanting to buy on a budget. Granted I did buy this camera on sale just after the New Year at Wal-Mart. I bought it for $200.00 on a budget. The downside was there is no internal storage but it has a place to use an SD expansion card. I installed a 64GB SanDisk SD w/expansion card into the camera as that is recommended but it can use 128GB (I get leery of SD cards of larger sizes just because it makes storing such large volumes difficult over time, especially if you are deleting, editing, saving and transferring photos to and from the storage card. Sometime less is more). I have used this Nikon B500 to photograph family pets, the land around our property, nature that I use to draw many of my pieces of still life art from when I have the spare time. It is features a nonslip grip of rubber that has been there as an aid as my palms clam or sweat under the sun in Arizona. On the side is a small button that engages flash, but in certain modes the camera will tell you to close the flash to operate. That reminds me to note that the camera will turn on, but will immediately tell you to shut off the camera and remove anything in front of the lens that is preventing it from viewing. This feature has two zoom panels. One for when you are photographing and one for videoing. I have done only minute long videos. The videos are actually packages as 30 frames a second in timelined photos in Full HDMI. I have placed the videos briefly into an editor and was able to select photos froze along the timeline to highlight the vivid quality and definition this affordable Nikon CoolPix B500 has to offer. As I am not even a freelance photographer, I can not begin to expound on the lens quality in comparison to others. The 16 megapixel 1/2.3 inches BSI CMOS Sensor. According to CNET.com the CMOS is designed to make it easier for light to reach the photo diodes on the sensor. In a regular, front-illuminated (FI) CMOS sensor the light has to travel through metal wiring and circuit elements before it hits the photo diodes, what's labeled as "light-receiving surface" in the illustration above. In a BSI CMOS sensor, the wiring is moved behind the light-receiving surface. Doing this makes the sensor more light-sensitive. The more sensitive it is, the less light is needed to get a properly exposed photo and the less noise is created. The Nikkor f/3.0 6.5 millimeter ED lens is perfect for this camera. It is on par for professional quality pictures. The ED stands for Extra Low Dispersion lens which is a way of saying that the lens errors are less and thus more likely to trap light where it enters the view while preventing light entering the lens at different angles from glaring or bowing the light in the image. It also aides the BSI CMOS sensor in not overexposing the image being photographed. At last I will tell you this camera operates on WiFi, can sync and save/backup to device like a Android. It can also use Bluetooth to snap photos and has NFC Connectivity as well. All in all this camera has been a go to for on the go or sporadic shoots.
Siane Camila L.
Hopkins, MN
Nikon 16.0 MP Coolpix Digital Camera uploaded by Siane Camila L.
I have this camera for 6 years now. What I like the most about it is the zoom and the image quality. It is kind of light as well. If you use the flash, be prepared with extra sets of batteries (uses 4 at a time, I highly recommend to buy the recarble ones. (pic by me at Yellowstone)
Ashlei M.
Lebanon, TN
This camera is a perfect camera for a photographer who is looking to "point and shoot" and get a great shot. However, I didn't expect that the quality would be so poor at zooming and for moving pictures. For the price, I was disappointed the quality was not better. However, I do appreciate the fact that you can download all pictures onto your phone through wifi, which is a real gamechanger for me. Overall, not a bad camera at all as long as you aren't trying to take pictures of a moving subject.
Josalyn H.
Carrollton, GA
This is a very nice beginner camera. It works well and takes amazing pictures. When you're using the zoom in setting it's really hard for the camera to focus on the subject you're trying to take a photo of.
Jessica W.
Romney, WV
The Nikon Coolpix B500 is the best camera I have ever owned!  It has a lot of different features for taking pictures in different settings.  The picture quality is so clear and sharp that it takes pictures that look like a professional took them.  Highly recommend!
Christa P.
I received this camera as a Christmas gift. This camera is not only reliable but has amazing features including built in WiFi and the SnapBridge app that goes with it! Best camera I have had so far. Highly recommend ! Nikon
Heather M.
I have this camera in a purple color. I do like it for taking pictures, but for some reason it wont let me record videos with flash on. And the video quality is not that good
Michelle A.
Van Buren, AR
Nikon Coolpix takes exceptional pictures with various settings to enhance your photos. I like picking a color and have that being the only color that shows. I haven't had any problems with my camera. Easy to use. I will buy this brand again in the future.
Luciana B.
Windsor Mill, MD
[product:nikon-16.0-mp-coolpix-digital-camera] It's so beautiful but I don't like, because need use batteries. I prefer charge instead battery.
Angela T.
Raeford, NC
Nikon 16.0 MP Coolpix Digital Camera uploaded by Angela T.
Batteries are $1.00 sooo it's very easy to change out. Good starter camera for newbies...
Ask a question to the Influenster community...