BY NONE

Photographer: G.L. Wood. By the time 2010 rolled around, debuts like Nicki Minaj's Pink Friday could still fall into the "highly anticipated" category, but the reasoning was different. Two years of strong mixtapes and guest appearances meant the hip-hop faithful already knew this sometimes dirty debutante could take that gutsy Lil' Kim style to another level, and that both the single and the full-length format were at her command. The only question left is how this versatile artist would present herself to the general public, and the answer is a Gwen Stefani-meets-Baz Luhrman-meets-Young Money-type affair that both dazzles and disappoints. Feed off the production, the great musical ideas, and Minaj's keen sense of her surroundings, and Pink Friday is an outstanding success. It's chock-full of new wave textures and diva attitude, creating the kind of atmosphere where will.i.am stops over while you tell the haters to kill themselves over a "Video Killed the Radio Star" sample ("Check It Out"). More grand moments come when Kanye West and Minaj mack together on the great, Simple Minds-sampling "Blazin," or when "Your Love" waltzes out of the speakers with a unique brand of hood majesty, but when "Dear Old Nicki" comes round with "In hindsight, I loved your rawness and I loved your edge," Minaj suggests that her growth as an artist requires the sacrificing of all Trina-like qualities. Confusingly, the key track, "Romans Revenge," finds her winning while acting as savage as ever, standing up to Eminem - who is in gross-mode - and literally roaring like a tiger to get the job done. This is the Nicki the mixtape crowd fell in love with, and you only need check out 2009's mixtape Beam Me Up Scotty for examples of how the Barbie (read: pop and R & B) and the b*tch (read: hip-hop) sides of Minaj can be sensibly presented together. In the end, Pink Friday is an ambitious, glossy stunner if fashion week is your favorite time of year, but Minaj didn't earn her diva status this. see more...

• What's your favorite song from her album? 3 Answers
Dani B.
I loved this album. Not a fan of Nicki personally but girl has talent. Someone had given me this cd and I was very upfront in the fact I was not going to like it but I listened to it. Then listened again....and again.....and again. I am a huge fan of this album.
Jennifer P.
Pittsburgh, PA
I used to not like Nicki Minaj, but after listening to this album I am actually really liking her music. Super Bass is one of my favorites, but I also love that she can actually sing instead of just rapping. There's a wide array of music on here so you are bound to find something you like. I definitely recommend listening to this.
Gabrielle H.
Highland Park, MI
This album will go down in history as her best! The Fashion, catchy hooks and videos. I love how raw it is but pop so it translates to any crowd. This is a feel good album to play in the summer or in the car with your girls headed out.
Tanisha'Marie J.
Ashland, VA
Pop Culture Expert Level 1
I'm not a fan of her. I don't understand how what she does is qualified as music . She can't sing , and her lyrics are trash and made up words . She can't be real or make real music. It's not a must listen .....
Jesenia H.
Nicki Minaj was someone who inspired me growing up. I know many parents out there wouldn't like hearing that from their children, but my parents made sure that I focused on the good rather than the vulgar: Minaj's journey full of struggle as she came into an unknown country and was constantly teased for her accent. Much like myself. This album is fun and tells of a woman who grew strong and confident from the abuse.
Emily d.
Portland, OR
Pop Culture Expert Level 2
This is still one of my favorite albums. When I listen to Nicki, especially on this album, she makes me want to eat healthy food and work out but not to make anyone happy except me. I feel empowered and pumped when I listen to her, especially with "Moment 4 Life." 10/10 would recommend for morning bus rides.
Lindsey Z.
Pittsburgh, PA
Pop Culture Expert Level 2
Nicki Minaj is a queen. Girl can sing and rap. She can make me want to get wild out n about or she can make me have tears running down my face. She's such a versatile artist. She really doesn't get the recognition she deserves. This album was great. Not my favorite by her but definitely still really good.
Donna T.
Toledo, OH
Love this girl she has worked hard and this is a super record!! Definitely recommend to someone maybe going through a rough patch in their relationship, i always listen to powerful women in music to help get me through a rough patch
Michaela T.
San Antonio, TX
One of my all time favorite albums. Nicki has come so far in music and she influences us all. I want my children to be able to be moved by her music the way I was moved. If you love real music Nicki Minaj is the one for you
Valerie D.
Albuquerque, NM
Pop Culture Expert Level 2
I've loved her since the beginning when she was just singing her mixed tapes and singing 5star chick with lil Wayne. I never thought she would blow up like this. Wow! I love all her songs! Can't wait for a new album. ❤️
Valerie D.
Albuquerque, NM
Pop Culture Expert Level 2
What's your favorite song from her album?