BY NEWMAN'S OWN

3.00 / 5 based on 1 Review

Newman's Own® Organics The Second Generation® N Signature Series Orange Dark Chocolate.
4% Cocoa.
Premium organic chocolate.
USDA organic.
Rainforest Alliance Certified. see more...

Review (1)
Hayley A.
Hayley A.
Richmond, VA
You call this dark?!

I love dark chocolate--the darker, the better: anything in the 80%+ cacao range is just dandy, as far as I'm concerned. Admittedly, it should have been obvious from the 54% designation on the wrapper that this was in another category altogether--call it "dark chocolate lite," for people who would really rather just have a Hershey bar. But I guess I had hoped that the fact that it was organic and fair-traded would somehow make up for the missing cacao. In general, I really support what Newman's Own is trying to accomplish.

Alas, it was not to be. My main objection is that it tastes mass produced, like a so-called high-end chocolate bar you'd buy in a supermarket but that really is just a run-of-the-mill bar imported from Europe. In particular, there's a subtle but annoying undertaste that I don't detect in the other dark chocolate bars I'm fond of. I don't know if it's the soy lecithin or something related to how it's processed--there really are very few ingredients, which is good--but each bite has elicited nothing more than "eh" from me. I shared some of it with a chocoholic friend who also has a fondness for the really dark stuff, and her reaction was the same as mine.

As a taste test, I bought one of Newman's Own's 70% cacao bars, which was the darkest I could find in that line in my local health food store, and it was somewhat better--at least the undertaste was missing. But it too falls short of what I seek in my empty calories, so I won't be buying any more of these, at least not until I see cacao content of 80%+.

If you enjoy very dark chocolate, try Equal Exchange's 80% (lovely texture), Endangered Species 88% (with the black panther on the wrapper) or Valrhona's 85%. There's really no comparison.

Two stars for an organic, fair-traded but otherwise insipid product.