BY NEWCASTLE

New Castle Brown Ale
  • "I used to love Newcastle Brown Ale, I've been a vegetarian (sans fish) for a few years and found out that Newcastle (like many dark beers) contain fish products." in 10 reviews
  • "One of my favorite beers, doesn't have the bitter taste that some dark beer has, really smooth" in 10 reviews
  • "This is a great beer to have for a party your going to because it tends to beer drinkers and a lot of my friends that don't drink beer like this one too.Its not to hoppy like other beers but still has a decent taste. " in 8 reviews
  • "I'm not much of a beer drinker, but I love darker beers and this one is one of my top 3 to drink...especially during summer time or pretty much any occasion." in 7 reviews
  • "This is a great beer I do not drink beer and yet I love this beer, Great flavor. " in 6 reviews
Mia L.
My favorite lighter beer, I'm normally a stout type of girl when it comes to beer but, I do love Newcastle, it's a favorite in my house especially during football season and when watching the draft. Also used it to make a homemade beer batter for my fish and chips and it tastes excellent!
Jessica H.
Rch Cucamonga, CA
This is my go to beer. It pairs well with everything, from pasta to salad to veggies. It's heavy, and rounds out a light meal quite nicely. When people say they don't know what type of beer they like, I always start with this and see where we can move from there. It's a constant in the fridge.
David T.
Melbourne, FL
Newcastle is not a phenominal English brown ale by any means, but it serves a great purpose. It is a gateway beer to bigger and better things for those who have been drinking cheap low quality light beers their whole lives. This is one of the most mild brown ales you can buy, but Newcastle is made from good quality ingredients and it has no adjuncts or fillers in it. What this means in flavor talk is a nice clean tasting beer with no nasty aftertaste. It has a nice little malty sweetness and a touch of hops bittering...a nice balanced beer. If you really like Newcastle Brown Ale, I really recommend trying some more flavorful English browns. Some great ones to try are Turbodog (by Abita), Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale, Bell's Best Brown, or Lost Coast Downtown Brown. If you prefer a little less bitter and a little more sweet, try an American brown ale like Brooklyn Brown Ale, Dogfish Head Indian Brown, HeBrew Messiah Bold, or Sierra Nevada Tumbler.
Ben F.
La Jolla, CA
Nutty.
Chocolate tones.
Oaky entrance.
Smooth.
Sublime.

Newcastle is probably my favorite, brand-name brown ale. I get this on tap whenever I can. It isn't so carbonated that you feel you're drinking a bomb of soda (pop). And, it isn't flat either. Typically, the balance is wonderful. It has a nutty sweetness to it with minimal bitterness... an attribute that most non-beer drinkers find wonderfully refreshing as they explore outside their comfort zones.

This is also one of the few beers I'd ever give 5 stars to. That said, getting them by the case -- especially the extra large cases from, say Costco, is a heck of deal!
Ida G.
Charles Town, WV
Happy Hour Expert Level 2
I've drank numerous beers. I'm currently going through my local watering holes challenge to drink at 52 beers they have on tap. I love craft beers, but when a bar/restaurant doesn't really have what I'm looking for New Castle is my go to, every time.

It's not too heavy and pairs really well with a pub dinner (think burgers and fries). The taste is refreshing and much better than having any of the oh so overdrank light beers.

Give it a shot, I'm sure you'll like it.
L J.
I have a lot of good memories tied to Newcastle. It's my favorite import, my standard go-to beer. It tastes great going down, no bitter after taste...all in all, good stuff. The only downside I could think of is that it's chalk full of calories, which is why I have had to scale back on my beer drinking. But, when I am in the mood for a tall, frosty brew, I choose Newcastle hands-down!
Sarah H.
Royse City, TX
My boyfriend loves this beer. Seriously, I think if it were legal he'd marry it. He loves it and introduced me to it back on our first date and I loved it. I'm not an avid beer drinker, but New Castle will tempt anyone into being a beer fan, especially ales. New Castle is relatively light with a rich, nutty flavor that is smooth and has a great aftertaste.
Rachel R.
Cincinnati, OH
Happy Hour Expert Level 3
I like Lite beers. But this one... not horrible. It has a higher alcohol content, so its at least got that going for it. It is thicker and heavier in look and taste than a mid range (think Budweiser) It does have the darker beer taste though (woody, honey) If you like darker beers, you'll love this one for the high alcohol content!
Sarah D.
This is a favorite of my husbands who's from England. its a little pricey stateside but a wonderful treat for any dark beer drinker. Also, their advertisements are hilarious. Look up "if Britain would've won day" before 4th of July. Obviously its satire so keep your sense of humor. We buy often & will continue to.
Kristy M.
Good but not great, I was expecting a little bit more from this beer. Maybe after a few rounds it'd taste better, or maybe used to cook barbecue. It seemed to warm quickly and taste ever worse after a short few minutes. It IS better than some other, cheaper beers, though. I suggest opening one up and drinking it quick.
Roni B.
Columbus , OH
Do girls like this beer?
Devin B.
Jacksonville, FL
What does this taste like?
Rhiannon V.
What is the alcohol percentage of Newcastle Brown Ale?