BY NEUTROGENA

T/Gel® Therapeutic Shampoo Original starts to work on contact, to help control itching and flaking from the first use.

Recommended by dermatologists for chronic Scalp Psoriasis, Seborrheic Dermatitis and even common Dandruff.

Clinical tests prove that the active ingredients in T/Gel® Shampoo Original continues to work for hours even after the shampoo is rinsed off.

Gentle and pleasant to use, T/Gel® leaves hair looking healthy and manageable.

• 0.5% Coal Tar

• Does the "new scent" smell better than how I remember it smelling...4 Answers
  • My daughter has dry scalp. Is this safe for her since she is only...2 Answers
  • How many washes and uses did you use to see change in dandruff am...3 Answers
Norene C.
This shampoo is made by one of the trusted drug store brands in skin care, shampoos, cleansers, etc. The tar helps to reduce the icky fungi that cause dandruff and flaking, excess skin cells on the scalp. This shampoo is for occasion use, not every day. It is quite strong and has a strong tar smells. Yes, even if you rinse and condition after using it, your hair will still have this faint tar-like smell for about 12 hours. It does fade. The shampoo comes in a convenient clear squeeze bottle. It is a clear dark amber color. It lathers very well. It can be drying. My hair feels like I just used a clarifying shampoo. I recently tried to lather, rinse, and repeat, and my hair felt squeaky clean. I doubled up on the conditioner after and used a leave-in conditioner as well. I have tried to go for months with just cleansing conditioners and NO shampoo. Well, that is hard to do, especially because I use products in my hair such as dry shampoo (Batiste), hairspray, detangler, balms, etc. I also dye my hair. So I think my scalp was feeling pretty bad, and my hair felt sticky. It looked dull. I lathered up twice with this product to help my scalp to balance out and to give my hair a good clarifying cleanse. It worked. My hair was shinier than it has been in months. It was easier to style, and the sticky (I'm not shampooing) feeling was gone. Scalp feels cleaner and healthier. I was worried about my hair follicles being negatively affected by the build up of waxy, silicone-based, products, etc. Anyway, I surrender to a clarifying shampoo on occasion and this tar shampoo for a healthy scalp. I love Neutrogena glycerine based bar soap as well. Great product line. Good price on this shampoo. I think it is around $9 on sale.
Ha D.
Dorchester, MA
My dandruff came back in full force this winter and I needed a solution asap. The color and smell of the shampoo was definitely off-putting BUT well worth it. After one use I already felt relief from the itch and less dry flakes. I apply one of my conditioners after I rinse, and the medicinal smell disappears! (Or I may have just gotten used to the smell haha.) Out of all the dandruff shampoos I looked into, I'm glad i tried this one first!
Becky L.
Grants Pass, OR
I couldn't even count on all my fingers and toes how often someone compliments my "beautiful" hair. Well... No fancy products here, just this oddly sweet and earthy smelling shampoo paired with a twice weekly wash and a random leave in conditioner (flavor/sale of the week). It leaves my scalp itch free, and my hair super shiny and manageable. I am pretty sure I will never switch to another shampoo!
Luz G.
This shampoo is the best for dandruff. You have to be persistent and patient. Not everybody has the same problem with dandruff. In my case the shampoo works when my dandruff flares up. I use it twice a week and I wash my hair every other day. It dries the hair a lot so be sure to use some mask or conditioner from the ends to the middle of your hair so the oil doesn't gather on your roots
Rocio N.
Arlington, TX
Hands down best dandruff/ itch relief shampoo! I had tried Head and Shoulders before, but it did nothing for me. The scent isn't the best, but it's tolerable, I just pair it with a good smelling deep conditioner. Also, I try to alternate this shampoo with a moisturizing shampoo because it does start to make my hair a little dry, that's the only downside. Overall I do recommend it! 😊
Cindy C.
I used this shampoo because I was getting some dandruff in my hair. After using this shampoo, even though the scent is not super pleasing. I loved how it would dry out my hair enough to give it volume but not too dry where it was making my hair damaged. It took away the dandruff as well. I use this shampoo occasionally as a treatment for my hair. I have been using it for years.
Julia T.
Athens, GA
This is the real deal, y'all. I have struggled with flaky dandruff for most of my life but this product is the ultimate answer - it has done the best job of keeping my scalp from creating a snowstorm! This smells nice, not bad at all. But be careful and make sure to wash off your skin after you shampoo because now washing this off my legs gave me contact dermatitis a while ago!
Tiffany F.
JOHNSTOWN, OH
As someone with dandruff that has been getting increasingly bad through the months, I'm glad I found this. T Gel is the only thing that has relieved the ichy-ness and flakes for me. It does smell awful but to counteract the smell I just shampoo with something that smells better and that seems to help. The only downfall of this product is that it dries my hair out.
Dacy D.
If you don't want your scalp to smell like medicine or tar/coal, I wouldn't recommend this. I personally don't mind the smell. It's kind of strong when you lather it in your hair, but it goes away after your hair is dry. It does work if you have an flaky, itchy scalp. It does it's job, so you really can't complain about the smell.
Vivian C.
This is literally the shampoo that saved my scalp. Before I found out about the neutrogena t gel, I was struggling with my head and shoulders shampoo trying to figure out what i did wrong. Using this almost immediately took my dandruff away. Furthermore, the formula is much better and more effective than store brands I have used.
Erin  W.
Spring, TX
Does this product have a funny smell?
Kirby M.
Eugene, OR
Does the "new scent" smell better than how I remember it smelling? I haven't used it in nearly 20 years, I just remember that it smelled horrific.
Josephine M.
Fresh Meadows, NY
Beauty Junkie Expert
How many washes and uses did you use to see change in dandruff amount?
Morenike K.
Bronx, NY
Beauty Junkie Expert
My daughter has dry scalp. Is this safe for her since she is only 7yrs old?