BY NEUTROGENA

T/Gel® Therapeutic Shampoo Extra Strength effectively controls the most resistant scalp conditions with twice the amount of active ingredient as T/Gel® Original Formula.

This dermatologist-recommended formula contains Neutar® (1% Coal Tar), proven to deliver effective scalp therapy for hours after the shampoo is rinsed out. Its rich, amber formula gently cleanses, and the added conditioners leave hair manageable and soft.

Neutrogena T/Gel® Therapeutic Shampoo - Extra Strength
  • "Anyone who has eczema Or psoriasis Of the scalp this works wonders I recommend using it twice a week and make sure to wash well doesn't have the most pleasant scent" in 1 review
Christina C.
Christina C.
Smyrna, TN
Beauty Junkie Expert
This is definitely my #HolyGrail shampoo for scalp psoriasis. I have had scalp psoriasis ever since i was a baby, and as a 26 year old adult, i still struggle. I cant use any other shampoo BESIDES Tgel, otherwise my scalp itches SO bad. If you didn't know, theirs a difference in dandruff, and psoriasis. Dandruff is built up dead skin on your scalp, and flakes fall on your clothes, and people are able to see it. Scalp psoriasis is VERY DRY, FLAKY, SPOTS on your head that have a scale like appearance when flaking off. Dandruff comes off in big pieces, because its dead, dry skin, scalp psoriasis is a condition to where your scalp constantly itches due to the "hot spots" where the flakes are the worst. This shampoo is the ONLY shampoo that helps. I use all the Tgel's, regular, and extra strength. I LOVE how my scalp feels after i wash it, OMG such relief! After a couple of days, the psoriasis starts to flake, and act up again, so its time to wash your hair again.
Maria E.
Maria E.
Schenectady, NY
I have been using the extra strength formulation of Neutrogena T-Gel shampoo for many years to treat my scalp psoriasis. I've tried many other types of psoriasis treatments on my scalp, but none have removed the scaling and prevented it from coming back like Neutrogena. If I don't use the T-Gel for a while, my itchy scalp psoriasis returns, and I have large scaly patches. Amazingly, a few uses of the T-Gel softens the patches so that it can be removed, and then heals the areas. Generally, I use the T-Gel every other time that I shampoo as a treatment. I'll wet my hair and rub in a small amount over typical trouble areas. Then, I'll let the shampoo sit for a few minutes on the scalp and then use my regular shampoo as normal. As long as I do this, I don't have to worry about my psoriasis returning. I find that the original strength doesn't help as well, and Neutrogena T-Sal doesn't help me at all, but the extra strength Neutrogena T-Gel is a lifesaver for me.
Galia F.
Galia F.
This is the only stuff that helps my scalp eczema. I alternate it with my regular shampoo (I have a couple troublesome areas, and I let the shampoo sit for a few minutes while I shave my legs), and this tends to work really well for me - and so one bottle lasts a good amount of time. The only semi-drawback is that it doesn't smell the most pleasant, but if you use a good conditioner, that usually takes care of it (plus the shampoo is pretty drying, another reason to condition well). I really don't know what I'd do if Neutrogena ever discontinued this shampoo.
Kindra F.
Kindra F.
Lakeland, FL
I have a mild form of psoriasis and I have to use this product every two days to keep the dry scalp at bay. I have used all kinds of hair products, including everything with tea tree oil, but those only seem to make my condition worsen. T/Gel is the only thing I can use that does not make my scalp itch and flake constantly. The smell is awful, and it doesn't do much for my hair, so i use another shampoo and conditioner over it, and the results are the same.
Nikki H.
Nikki H.
Columbus, GA
I love T-gel extra strength for those days when my dandruff is out of control. This is the strongest OTC dandruff control you will find. It is a bit on the expensive side for such a small bottle but that is because it works! This is not an everyday shampoo but more a once a week once every other week to really control the extreme itching and scabbing that can occur from dandruff. I highly recommend this to any dandruff sufferer.
Jayda P.
Jayda P.
Boston, MA
I swear by his shampoo. I've always had a problem with therapeutic shampoos that are minty or tingly as I don't like that sensation. But this has no such effect. My favorite is that it's nondescript in color and scent so you can add it to just about any shampoo to supplement the treatment and the price is always so low which is an added bonus, because realistically I would pay $20-30 a bottle for this if I had to.
Christine M.
Christine M.
Staten Island, NY
The best of it's kind, relieves the itch for the dermatitis on my scalp. I have brown wavy hair and it stays that way. It isn't a permanent fix or cure, like it claims but it really helps with the itch and clears or somewhat exfoliates the scalp to make it feel much more healthy. You could pick it up at any drugstore like CVS or Walgreen etc. I have used it for years and I would definitely recommend to a friend.
Steph F.
Steph F.
Pleasant hill, Ca
I have constantly itchy scalp and I have tried everything to get it to stop. I searched the web one night when I couldn't sleep and found reviews about this shampoo helping many people with scalp itching. I went to the store at midnight to pick some up and I had a great night sleep. Been using it since and been itch free
Megan S.
Megan S.
This product works very well. I used it for about a month and it help my skin and my hair. I gave this product four stars because it is a good product for skin and hair care but the smell is very strong and is not a good smell. But it still does a good job for what it is used for. I would recommend this product to all.
Amy D.
Amy D.
Murfreesboro, TN
Beauty Junkie Expert
In the winter I tend to get really bad dandruff, especially if I go to bed with my hair wet. This shampoo is perfect and has been the only thing that keeps my dandruff away! I use it about two times a week and it does the job! The only complaint I have about it is the scent, I feel like it smells like a minty tire
Jessica R.