Add a Photo
Photos (50)
Hayley S.
Hayley S.
Allendale, MI

Do I have a horror story for you...
I swear by Neutrogena products and have never had an issue with them, but I decided that since my skin had been having more recent break outs due to the weather change and increased oiliness, I thought this classic orange foaming cleanser would help.
I used it for about 2 days and noticed some tightness in my skin. The oiliness was completely gone but now my face was so tight I had to put lotion back on it to balance the moisture back into my skin. Then, by day 4 I had woken up with dry peeling skin all over my face and around my eyes, my eyelids and brows, as well as my eyes burning from using the product the night before. This was horrifying to me because I've never experienced so much of a reaction from a product before. I was using it 2 times a day, am and pm. Within a 7 day period my skin was in terrible condition, peeling, dry but greasy at the same time.
My skin took 1 month to get back to normal. I do not recommend this product at all.
Pooja B.
Pooja B.
Boston, MA

The product only says ‘meant for acne prone skin’ and not oily skin so other skin types prone to acne can use this product too. It is not very drying but I do feel like applying a moisturizer after using this. The product contains 2 % Salicylic acid and hence may not be suitable for very sensitive skin types.A very small quantity is required for one wash and this way the 175 ml bottle will easily last 4-5 months. I have been using it for over 2 months and I use it 2-3 times a day and one can see I’ve only gone about halfway through the bottle.
It is the best face wash for my skin type I have used to far and I will definitely repurchase this one. It cleans thoroughly without drying the face and gives a soft glow to the skin after rinsing. It works to some extent is preventing and reducing acne too.
Highly recommended to everyone with combination/oily skin and/or acne tendency.
Taylor W.
Taylor W.
Greensboro, NC

So with cystic acne at an all time high on my facial area, I went back to this Neutrogena product because it is the only product that seems to clear up my acne, while not costing as much as other brands such as Murad. Using this two times a day, doesn't work. For the first week, use it twice a day morning and night, then the next week use this product once a day, only about 3-4 times a week to prevent drying. This product can make your acne worse if you choose to use it twice a day, forever. I've found that by tempering the days I use it, and actually giving my face a break, I've avoided the dryness and painful irritation, all while clearing my acne successfully. This product has a high salicylic acid content, it's a strong acne medicine designed for stubborn acne spot and pimples so please give this a try, before making an opinion early on.
Nichole Z.
Nichole Z.

I have no idea why, because I use other Neutrogena products, but this particular face wash was horrible for my skin. I used it morning and night, and the next morning I woke up and my face was blotchy, textured, swollen, and itchy. I stopped using this immediately and my skin got better over a couple days thank God, but I'm glad I stopped when I did. My skin is no where near sensitive and I can usually throw some pretty intense products at it, so I have no idea what happened, but I would definitely spot use in the beginning to see how your skin will react. I did a lot of research on this after it happened and there are many other reviews about this happening to people. Beware!
Dana N.
Dana N.
San Jose, CA

I really like this product in which my mom actually introduced me to use Neutrogena. First impression of this product is the smell, so naturally compares to other acne wash that I've been used. This cleanser feel really light, soft when I apply it onto my face. It has a lot of bubbles when I rinse my face with water. But Neutrogena acne wash is working very well for me. Since I'm using it, the numbers of pimple on my face started to decrease. Normally, I use it twice a day and I was so amaze by this product. I will sure to keep using Neutrogena oil-free acne wash as my face assistance. Thank you so much that I founded the right cleanser for my face.
Connie C.
Connie C.
Berkeley, CA

This is a very inexpensive wash that I've seen so many people use, so of course I picked up a bottle. One bottle has lasted me over a year with once a day use, and I still have over half left. I use a bit less than a dime-sized amount in the shower and I concentrate it on my oily t-zone because it is quite drying for the rest of my face. It seems to really strip off all the oils. I'm not too fond of the perfume-y yet medicinal smell, and I don't know how much it's really preventing my acne any more than any other face wash would. You don't need a lot to get a good lather though, so that's good.
Sunny 2.
Sunny 2.
East Coast

I have used this on a few occasions and it was very effective. When using this face wash, I did rinse this off a bit quicker than I do my regular cleanser. I also opted to only use this once a day. I now prefer to pair a mild cleanser with an acne spot treatment. This would be a good alternative for me in a pinch. It has a mild medicinal scent and the pump works well. I like this one better than the grapefruit formula, seems to work better for me. This can dry out sensitive skin if preventive measures are not taken but this works well to clear up breakouts.
Breezy C.
Breezy C.

Strugglin with acne the past couple years has made me desperate to get rid of not only my breakouts but my acne scars as well. Because of this I've spent tons of money trying to find a miracle product to tame it. Though this may not be a "miracle product" it is the best affordable cleanser that I've found yet and am definitely keeping it in my routine. I've seen a reduction in how many breakouts I have an my skin always feels cleaned and supple afterwards. The only con is that it does dry out your skin a bit but it's nothing some moisturizer couldn't fix
Teresa K.
Teresa K.

I feel that this product is good to eliminate the oil from your skin and prevent it from being too oily but do not use too much of it or too often! After a months usage, my face became really dry. I used it every morning and night to clense my face and saw improvements on my acne. My acne was more controlled and less likely to appear but my skin became flakey and rough as it was drying even when moisturiser was applied.

I ended up reducing my usage to twice a month but I have to thank this product for making my face not as oily/shiny as it was before.
Deni M.
Deni M.
Kissimmee, FL

The Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash is my daily go to product for cleansing my face. After washing my face with this product every night, it leaves my face feeling fresh and clean. I apply moisturizer right after drying my face. If you don't, it can leave your face feeling dry. This is the only product that I have found that prevents acne from reoccurring. I do get a few breakouts from time to time, but they quickly dissappear after cleansing the area with this amazing acne wash. It's truly a great product that works and it's totally affordable.
Barbara C.
Barbara C.
Hallsville, MO

Does anyone have drying issues, with it?
Emily G.
Emily G.
Raleigh, NC

Are there any generic options out there for this?
Noelia v.
Noelia v.

Does it work?
How many times a day & how long have you been using this product? What are your results?
Christina G.
Christina G.
San Antonio, TX
Why does it dry my face out so much :( it's peeling! And none of my acne seems to be going away, why??

Join Now