2 colors available

BY NEUTROGENA #49 in Face Masks

• Does this dry out your skin? 2 Answers
  • Hello!! What's your morning routine?? I start my day using Neutroge...1 Answers
  • I still have some acne because I have a very sensitive skin and I w...1 Answers
Abi A.
Abi A.
Beauty Junkie Expert
I have been using this cleanser for quite a while and I really like the results. For my skin type, I do not usually have trouble with acne but once in a while I may break out due to stress and little sleep. Based on the active ingredient benzoyl peroxide, this can be used to cleanse the impurities in the pores and can prevent break outs. I think it is more effective as a mask instead of a face wash since there is more contact time with the skin. When I use it as a mask, I feel a cooling sensation but others may think of it as a stinging feeling.

However, I would suggest using this as a mask only once a week after cleaning your face. The reason is that this product can dry your skin. If used as a mask, your skin may be red after rinsing off the product but for me it does not stay red that long. In addition, you must be careful when being out in the sun since your skin may be sensitive if you continuously use this product everyday.

Whereas, when I feel like a pimple may form, I may use this product as a spot treatment. I'll place the product on the area I feel a pimple forming and let it dry for 5 minutes before washing it off. Usually by the next day the pimple will not form completely and so I wouldn't have a pimple.

Overall, I would recommend this product since it has been effective for me. However, I would suggest going to a dermatologist to find the best type of skin care routine for your acne troubles and skin treatment.
Alisha B.
Alisha B.
It's really a great product. However, there are a few things some should know before buying. This product has a cooling effect. Some mistake it for burning. Benzoyl Peroxide is an acne treatment, it gets in the nitty gritty areas of your face to really clean those pores out. I typically use this at night. So, after I've taken off all of my makeup, I'll wet my face with a warm, wet cloth to open my pores a little. Then I add a thin layer to all of my problem areas and I leave it on for no longer than 5 minutes. This product is very drying, so you have to be careful about how long it's left on. It greatly diminishes my acne and excess oil. I started this product with some crazy acne, and I'm almost out of product and my skin has improved greatly. It's great for every other day use. It's a great price, the smell doesn't bother me.
Carina C.
Carina C.
Providence, RI
Beauty Junkie Expert
The product advertises that it can be used as a daily cleanser to "clear break outs and blackhead-causing impurities," while also performing as an "intensive mask for deep cleansing and extra shine control." According to Neutrogena, it is "formulated with oil-absorbing bentonite & kaolin clay," and "is the only clay mask that kills acne causing bacteria to clear breakouts."

I bought this product because I had heard raved reviews about it. I had moderate acne at the time and was hoping for a miracle product. Unfortunately after 1 month's use, I saw no change. The product felt heavy on my skin and I didn't notice a decrease in acne. I was fond of the heavy on my skin during use so I discontinued use after a month. On the bright side, it did not make my skin worse.  Neutrogena Clear Pore Cleanser/Mask
Erika S.
Erika S.
Menifee, CA
Neutrogena Clear Pore Cleanser/Mask is a product that I have been using for about 7 years; and since I've just finished another tube, I had to review it. I'm not huge on masks, so I rarely buy them, which is why I love {lovelovelovelovelove} this product so much. When you add water, you can use it as a face cleanser {I use it everyday to remove makeup}; and when you apply it directly to skin without water, it acts as a face mask. You can also use it as spot treatment on your face or anywhere else on your body. This, for me, has been one of the most effective products for maintaining clear skin, and I truly cannot recommend anything more highly than this right here. FOREVER RE-BUY.
Marci F.
Marci F.
Fresno
Beauty Junkie Expert
I have sensitive skin, and this mask can irritate it because it has a tingly sensation, so I use this with care. I do keep coming back to it though because I really feel like it works well. If I am having a massive breakout or can tell one is coming I use this. Especially around hormonal times when I know a breakout is lurking. It makes my skin feel really clean. But I give it a 3 star rating because it is so strong and irritating and because it also will bleach any rags you use to wash your face with it. So use an old washcloth and rinse well and leave by the sink, don't throw with the rest of the towels until wash time (unless you have all white towels).
Jasmine E.
Jasmine E.
Raleigh, NC
Beauty Junkie Expert
I love this! I use it as a daily cleanser or 3 times a week as a mask to clear out any gunk on my face! I like to use it as a mask best. 3 times a week I would wash my face then after its clean and patted dry *not completely dry but dry enough, I put this on and leave it for 5 mins as instructed. You will feel tingling and it says on the bottle that it's "penetrating down to the pores to clear it out", which sounds pretty convincing anyways and feels that way. After the tingling cooling sensation your skin will feel back to normal and that's when I wash it off! My face feels squeaky clean, but it is a bit drying so I recommend using a good moisturizer afterward !
Noe K.
Noe K.
Beauty Junkie Expert
HORRIBLE. SO HARD ON THE SKIN. My skin was completely burned by this product. This left my skin red and damaged. If I could insert a photo I would. It looked horrible. It was given to me as a birthday present. The package said leave it on for up to 5 minutes. I left it on for 2 and a half. By the 15 second mark I started to feel burning but reviews on the product said to stick it out and that it was normal, suprise it wasn't normal. By 2 and a hal minutes I was in so much pain I washed it off and thank god i did because my face was so red and dry any longer would have damaged it even further. I would not recomend this to anyone that doesn't have extremely tough skin/acne.
Liz S.
Liz S.
Katy, TX
Beauty Junkie Expert
I wanted a cleanser for my face being that I put my face through so much with all the makeup I wear. I purchased it during my grocery run and I went to the cosmetic aisle and after reading the benefits or what would happen to my skin using this product, I decided to purchase it. I used it a couple of times and I really didn't notice or see any changes to my face. I don't have clogged pores and maybe that's the reason I didn't see significant changes to my face.

I won't repurchase this product. It wasn't costly or anything like that I just don't think it did anything to my face.
Milan C.
Milan C.
Uppr Marlboro, MD
Beauty Junkie Expert
This is a little harsh on the skin so I don't use it every week, as a cleanser or mask. But I do really like the effects of it. This has a very cooling feeling so my pores feel open. When it begins to dry and tighten I can literally feel all the dirt and oils coming out. I use this maybe every two weeks if I haven't done a mask or as a wash if I don't really want to feel the whole process. Either way I get the same great results, it is a little drying though.
🥑
🥑
Honestly I love the fact that you can use it as a mask that drys or just a regular face wash. I more times use it as a mask just because I really like how my skin feels after. I have it 4 stars only because I don't see that much a difference when it comes to getting rid of my really tiny black heads. But for the most part it leaves my skin feeling so clean and smooth and refreshed and gets rid of most of the noticeable dirt on my face ! Recommend!!
Priyanka P.
Priyanka P.
Suwanee, GA
Does this help reduce/eliminate blackheads?
Pamela B.