Necco Tropical Wafers

BY NECCO

Necco has introduced a new delicious candy item to be hitting store shelves soon! A tropical version of the famous Necco Wafer will feature such exotic favors as Coconut, Passion Fruit, Strawberry, Lime, Banana and Mango. The crunchy, sugary wafers will be sure to take your mouth to exotic places while you indulge on the many tropical tastes. This will be one of the first times Necco Tropical Wafers will be consumed by candy fans! Enjoy. see more...

• Where can I find them? I haven't seen them in a long time...1 Answers
  • When are these being released?1 Answers
  • I've never had these before. What do they taste like?1 Answers
Necco  Tropical Wafers
Necco Tropical Wafers
  • "I love them they were so good , I love the flavors : Passion Fruit, Strawberry, Banana and Mango - I'm such as sweet person." in 38 reviews
  • "They smell really good and the actual flavor is not bad... That being said, you do have to suck on them before you bite them or else you will completely hate them, and yourself for doing that." in 12 reviews
  • "The subdued and subtle flavor of Necco wafers actually works well with these new tropical ones, they are pretty good." in 11 reviews
  • "Also these candies are very chalky I prefer to let them melt on my tongue than chew them." in 11 reviews
  • "I honestly couldn't figure out what it was) that I wasn't a huge fan of, but I surprisingly loved the lime and mango ones (and I normally hate those)." in 10 reviews
Amber C.
Mountain View, CA
I am used to necco wafers from having my Grandmother and other elderly ladies hand them to me often growing up. A typical package had flavors like clove and licorice. These new wafers have tropical flavors such as: lime, strawberry, mango, banana, passion fruit, and coconut.

Let's start with the positive. The strawberry was pretty good. It reminds me of strawberry pez. Mango wasn't bad. Unfortunately that is about where I run out of positive to say. It isn't that they are terrible, it is more so that they just aren't something I enjoy. Ever have a stomach ache and pop some tums? That is pretty much what these are but they won't help your tummy. They are hard and crunchy, powdery and chalky, and the flavors are pretty fake tasting. The lime was by far the worst. It tasted like bathroom floor cleaner. I felt bad as I spit it out. The 2.2 oz package says that a serving is one whole roll. This packs 220 calories and 55 grams of sugar!
If you like crunchy fruity candy, or the original neccos, give them a try. If not, opt for a lifesaver or some chocolate instead.
Zaira A.
Eden, NC
I was never a huge fan of Necco wafer candies as a kid, so as I teen I never ate them. However, these are wonderful! Especially to curb a sweet tooth in class! You can throw them in your bag without worrying about melting chocolate or spilling small pieces and they last a while. I discovered you can pop one in your mouth and leave it on your tongue for 3 minutes or so. Definitely perfect during that lecture or when you’re writing an essay, although I wouldn’t try to talk with it in your mouth, as it’s very obvious!

The flavors are desirable. My favorite was mixing the strawberry and banana. I didn’t fancy the mango, but I also don’t like mango in the first place. I was afraid they’d be chalky but they weren’t at all. I’m probably going to buy these again when they hit store shelves. They retail for $1.25 each which is perfect for how many classes they get me through!
Yaritza O.
Hartford , CT
I got the Necco Tropical Wafers in my College Voxbox 2012 and opened it up right away. Personally I do not like passion fruit so that one was a bust. As for the other flavors I tried them all and would have to say that they where mostly good. My favorite flavors where Coconut and Banana, the coconut flavor was so rich and natural tasting. As for my least favorite I would hands down have to say that the strawberry flavor has to be worked on. I love the actual fruit strawberry so was expecting to like the candy but I felt that it was to artificial and the taste was not pleasant at all. The candy is best enjoyed when you don't chew it, just as a few other reviews stated I'd let it melt if I where you. Over all I would not buy them myself because I didn't love at least 50% of the flavors but for others I'd say give it a try. It wasn't my cup of tea but it just might be yours.
Soraida H.
Minneapolis, MN
I've never liked Necco Wafers. They're kind of an old fashioned candy. I really dislike the original Necco Wafers (my 60 year old dad loves them though) and I typically consider these to be the kind of things left at the bottom of your great aunt's candy jar.

The simple packaging is cute, and I like tropical flavored candy so I thought I'd give them a shot. There's a good variety of flavors, as to be expected by Necco...but most of them don't amaze me. Lime tastes like dish soap. Coconut and Banana are actually pretty decent flavors. But the rest of them are just...meh. They still taste like chalk/conversation hearts and I don't think this new set of flavors is going to get me to like this type of candy. Bleh.
Hannah C.
Bethesda, MD
I never was a huge fan of Necco wafers in general. I never saw the appeal even as a kid. I got a pack of these in my College Vox Box though and saw it was a new flavor so I figured I should give them another chance. These were so gross! They left a bad aftertaste in my mouth and I felt like I was eating a disk of sidewalk chalk dipped in flavored sugar...or TUMS! Yea, they definitely taste just like Tums. I didn't even like the banana or coconut and those are two of my favorite flavors ever! I'm sort of surprised this company is even still around since I don't know anyone aside from older people who like these. I gave the rest of the pack to an older woman I knew because I couldn't even finish them. I guess if you really like the taste of Tums you would like these.
Ashley N.
I used to love Necco wafers as a kid, but I was iffy on the tropical flavors when it showed up in my college box. After living in the caribbean, I turned into a huge snob on tropical flavors that taste way too much like syrup and too little like the fruit they're supposed to taste like. These are actually awesome as far as that goes. There was one flavor (I think maybe strawberry? I honestly couldn't figure out what it was) that I wasn't a huge fan of, but I surprisingly loved the lime and mango ones (and I normally hate those). One flavor I was surprised is missing: pineapple. I would definitely have loved to see that included.
Jenna R.
Ever wish to go to Hawii. I did but, spending 1,000's of dollars to get get there. I don't have that kind of money. But, now you can with the Tropical Necco Wafers you can go for only $1.25. They taste AMAZING. The strawberry, lime, bannana, and mango are so easy to fall in love with the second you put the wafer on your tounge. But, the coconut and passion fruit take a little more time for your love. After a few seconds on your tounge those favors will transport you to a sunny beach with the smell and taste of tropical fruit. Untill it's all gone then just pop another one in and your back to the lovley, tropical Hawii.
Casey D.
Stamford, CT
These wafers vary from the traditional flavors of lemon, lime, orange, clove, cinnamon,wintergreen, licorice, and chocolate. These are a little more exotic! Included in the tropical flavors are coconut, passion fruit, strawberry, lime, banana, and mango.

Necco wafers tend to be dry and powdery which wasn't all that great and they were crunchy when you bit them but I found them enjoyable when you allowed them to melt on your tongue.

For a college student I found that the fat free, flavorful, bite sized wafers were great to carry around for a quick treat when you're on campus.
Aleshia F.
Mount Union, PA
I had received the new Necco Tropical Wafers in my College VoxBox and they looked really yummy. My fiance and I went through and tried all of the flavors. He fell in love with the banana & strawberry. I liked the strawberry myself and the mango was okay. But I didn't care for the coconut, lime(which I don't like artificial lime anyway),and passion fruit. They all sort of taste like pez candy or the valentine heart candy. Another thing don't bite down on it right away unless you want cracked or broken teeth. You have to let it dissolve awhile. It's probably something I wouldn't pick up unless they would have it in single flavors.
Molly S.
Brooklyn, NY
I liked the new flavors. My favorite was mango or whatever the orangey one was. I actually think that is small doses, and at the right mood they could be really yummy.
They are overly sugary, chalky, and an awkward shape, but I think the biggest reason I probably won't repurchase them is because they are just not a very exciting candy.
I don't buy candy all that often, so when I do, it's got to be something that I die for. This mostly means chocolate.
Sorry wafers, you're not chocolate. I know there is a chocolate version, but that sounds gross.
Aleshia F.
Mount Union, PA
How was your experience with the different tastes of the tropical flavors? Did you have a favorite?
Colin J.
Bloomington, IN
What's your least favorite Tropical Wafer flavor?
Shazi G.
Whitehouse Station, NJ
Are you supposed to chew these or let them melt in your mouth? They are too hard to bite and seem like it would take forever to dissolve.
Brittany G.
Evansville, IN
Are these any good?
Tiffany P.
Which flavor was your least favorite?