Nature's Variety: Instinct Raw
  • "I was really hesitant to buy this food because it costs about twice the most expensive premium brand grocery dog food costs at the pet food store, but decided to give it a shot since Amazon offers a deal for subscribing." in 11 reviews
  • "I have 3 cats, they are big fans of canned god, but I think they like this more... Just tried for the first time not too long ago, they also eat nutro dry food, will buy again..." in 11 reviews
Emily H.
Feeding your dog raw is the best thing you can do for them. I try to give them this as much as possible. It is pretty pricey, but watching how much they love it is worth it. I also feed them the raw boost kibble which they also like but they LOVE this stuff, highly recommend
Hayley A.
Richmond, VA
I was really hesitant to buy this food because it costs about twice the most expensive premium brand grocery dog food costs at the pet food store, but decided to give it a shot since Amazon offers a deal for subscribing. (I bought the 15 lb bag, which is why I don't have a verified purchase in the 30 lb listing) I honestly wouldn't even know about this product if our new puppy's breeder hadn't recommended it, and was using it on their pups. I'm not one of those people that have to eat organic, or those guys that have to have the word "holistic" on their animals' food. In fact, I usually just buy what's on sale, as long as it meets my personal quality standards. But after trying this, it kind of makes sense why they cost more.

When I first opened the bag, I noticed that it did not have that strong dog food scent that most dog foods I've purchased for my dogs have. It actually smells kind of good, to where I would almost be brave enough to taste it. Second, the kibble size is perfect for my golden retriever puppy. Not too big or small, and it perfect for training treats. In the morning before feeding my dogs in their bowl, I usually let them earn their meal through training, and these are perfectly sized and tasty enough to use for that. The outer layer seems almost coated, so you don't get kibble crumbs in your hand and into your fingertips. Third, and most importantly- It's really good for your dog! Prior to buying our new puppy, I did a lot of research (as a good prospective dog owner should) on raising a healthy dog. One of the biggest things that stuck with me was that you WILL pay for your dogs' health- either in the form of good dog food, or in the form of a vet bill.
Abby H.
Hopatcong
This is a great dog food. It is healthy and nutritional for them to eat. You don’t have to worry about processed or added junk in this stuff. It is a nice food to feed your fury friends. They will thank you for it.
Brittany A.
Sachse, TX
I like to use these freeze dried raw pellets as a topper on my dogs dry dog food to add in raw nutrients to their diet. The Ingredients in this product are real food ingredients with lots of nutrients that are often missing from regular dry dog food. I highly recommend!
Lynn B.
This makes feeding raw easy. It’s nutritionally balanced. There are different protein choices and bite sizes. You can add to dry food or feed as a meal. It is expensive, but all raw is. I’d suggest trying this for your pet.
Joanne R.
North Canton, OH
I use this for both my cat and dog. Be warned that a sudden switch in any food can cause digestion issues, so it's best to switch gradually. My 7 month old cat Riley nearly died before I took him in, so he's very small at only 3 lbs. Because of the health issues he had coming into the world, I want to make sure he has the best nutrition possible. He isn't a picky eater so it really wasn't difficult to get him to eat it.
Gracie, my 4 year old teacup Yorkie is another rescue who has her share of health problems. She's less than 2 lbs, so I want to make sure that what she eats is good for her. She IS a picky eater, but she took to the Instinct Raw immediately. She's been on it for about a month now. She used to have issues with dry, flaky skin, but now it's excellent.
All in all, this food is well worth the money.
Vivian M.
Seattle, WA
Feeding your animal raw food can make all the difference. Their coat is shinier, their breath stinks less, and their stools are smaller (because they're able to better absorb more of the food). While Nature's Variety isn't the best raw food out there, it's some of the best you can find for the price. Raw food is great for animals with allergies, but make sure to check the ingredient list. Some flavors are very hypoallergenic, and some aren't. However, many cats won't accept it into their diet. Many time, you need to either integrate it into their diet slowly (also prevents runny stools that can come with suddenly switching food) or start them on it when they're about 4 months old.
Lacie T.
Petersburg, KY
A friend of mine picked up a bag for her cats - but her cats didn't like it! So, lucky us, we inherited the leftover bag. Our cats weren't interested either, but our dogs LOVED them.

They are small patties that can be eaten frozen or thawed and as a treat or meal. I love that the raw-food fad is running over into the pet area, however I wish it weren't so pricey! If you're looking to switch your dog to a raw-food diet, I recommend finding your local butcher to procure meats instead of buying this product. But if you're looking for a treat - these are great and super easy to dole out!
Gina W.
I started feeding my six cats this brand almost 5 years ago. since then, they have been the healthier than ever. all of them have shinier coats and better breath. My eldest cat was suffering from intestinal issues, and since he has been eating this food he rarely needs any medication anymore. feeding your cats this should is the closest you can get to feeding them what they would eat in the wild.
Sena C.
I wanted to purchase a brand of cat food that I hoped my kitties would love, plus keep them healthy. Boy was this the best $20 I have spent! My kittens loved it. They eat it like crazy and always want more! The bag said it would help keep a healthy digestion, healthy skin, and a softer less shedding coat. They were right! My kittens fur doesn't shed as bad and I just want to snuggle them, their fur is definitely soft! They are so much more healthy now than before when they were eating a way cheaper brand of cat food.
Adriana O.
How do your dogs like this brand? (have been thinking of buying it for a while)
Steph D.
Pensacola, FL
Is it affordable?
Hannah K.
Holly Springs, NC
I'm trying to get my dog to eat healthier. is this a good option? Any pointers?
Elena C.
Belleville, IL
I notice some of the reviews mentioning that an animal might not be able to stomach this food. Is raw hard on the stomach?