BY NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC

This National Geographic Golden Sunset Reptile Sand substrate helps keep waste away from desert reptiles, creating the look and feel of sand found in their natural environment. The sand's nonabrasive texture makes it more comfortable to live with and to change when needed. Only at PetSmart. Features: Helps mimic the natural environment of desert reptiles Material: Quartz Sand Environment Type: Desert Species: Reptiles Color: Golden Package Weight: 10 lb (4.5 kg) Cautions, Warnings or Side Effects: Do not flush substrate in toilets or dispose of it outdoors in gutters or storm drains. Used substrate is not recommended for garden use. While this product is nontoxic, you should seek immediate veterinarian care if your pet consumes large quantities or if there is a change in your pet's food or waste consumption. Directions: Pour the substrate into your pet's enclosure to thedesired depth (typically 1-2 inches). Some reptiles like to burrow- consult a pet care guide to learn more about your specific reptile. Spot clean daily. Completely change the substrate every 4-6 weeks, or as needed. see more...

• Does anyone recommend this product, I see it's fairly exp...3 Answers
Chantille T.
Kelseyville, CA
This product is not good for your Bearded Dragon or any reptile. It can kill your animal if ingested as it causes impaction. It can get in your reptiles eyes and damage or blind them. The sand dyes their skin. If you must use sand, don't use this kind.
Efren L.
Duarte
It’s so soft and helps my tortoise feel like if she’s home. She loves this stuff she diggs her self into the sand during the winter to stay warm and it so easy to clean when she’s done doing her business.
Aley W.
Portsmouth, OH
Sand while aesthetically pleasing and easy to clean should never be used in lizard terrariums. I was one of the many who made the rookie mistake of believing that it could never happen to me but after a year of using sand including this name brand I lost one of my best females to impaction. I thought because she was eating regularly and still passing feces she was not eating the sand but after that much time on sand I began noticing that she was no longer eating....I separated her and placed her on carpet and found after her next bowl movement and enormous mound of clotted sand her stomach swelled and she passed shortly after....please if you have any love for your reptiles DO NOT use sand of any name brand this one included....the time it takes to wash out reptile carpet or change paper towels is not worth losing a pet...
Kristyne M.
Owings Mills, MD
I love sand used in terrariums with reptiles. There is one problem though, although sand is found in the natural habits of most desert reptiles, it's horrible to use! Unfortunately, sand ends up being eaten by the reptiles and ends up being impacted in their digestive system. This results in pet reptiles dying. If it is caught in time by the owner, sometimes surgery can be preformed, be it is hard to find reptile vets, is extremely expensive and can cause a great deal or pain and stress on the reptile. I would never recommend sand to be used on reptiles kept in captivity.
Courtney G.
Savannah, GA
Most reptiles lick everything, as this is their way of exploring their environment. Every time they lick the ground, they will ingest some substrate. Also, if they are fed on loose substrate, they can get a mouth full of it when they catch food off the ground. Substrates that tend to produce a lot of dust, like sand, can also cause get into their eyes and cause eye infections, and cause respitatory issues if they breathe it in.
Breanna P.
Gastonia, NC
I use this for my bearded dragon. I bought it from repticon and petco for them. Since I frequently clean the 3 bearded dragon and monitor cages that I have, it ends up working out wonderful for me to have a huge bag.
Candice B.
Lyles, TN
I agree with Aley that sand is not something that should be used in reptile tanks due to the risk of colon impaction. I always provided a sandy and non sandy area. I've never had a problem with sand impaction personally.
Lamekka T.
Brought two bags of sand for my RES, and he loves it way more than having pebbles in his tank. His tank stays clean longer with the sand and new filtration system we installed. Love the sand.
Priscilla P.
My beardie loves this sand. He sleeps in it and has his own little hill he made to sleep on. It's better than the reptile carpet I tried to put in , he hated that so much.
Diana M.
Our sand boa loves this reptile sand! Although it can be messy sometimes p, usually the sand falls right off of him when we bring him out of his home.
Ashley N.
Huron Park, ON
Does anyone recommend this product, I see it's fairly expensive. Well most national geographic products are higher priced .