National Car Rental uploaded by Judith C.National Car Rental uploaded by Marcella S.

BY NATIONAL CAR RENTAL #6 in Rental Car Companies

National Car Rental
  • "Always very pleasant customer service, great selection of cars when we go to the lot to get assigned, and quickly upgraded if what we reserved wasn't available." in 5 reviews
Celestia F.
South Gate, CA
In the interest of full disclosure, it probably doesn't hurt my opinion of National that I participated in the winter edition of One-Two-Free. When it came time for a rental during a quick getaway to Florida, all I needed to pay were the taxes for the day. It'd be hard to complain about a $6 rental experience (even here on Yelp...).

Essentially free day notwithstanding, this is the kind of National branch that reminds me why I generally prefer National's low-pressure, professional approach to most of their competition (...even though their rates are sometimes slightly higher, or in other cases a lot higher, than Avis/Budget).

Emerald Club members with a reservation get to skip the in-terminal desk completely here and can easily expect to be on the road in under 10 minutes given that the cars are parked at the terminal in an adjacent garage.

The Orlando Aisle, as others have already mentioned, did seem to have a few more "family-style" vehicles than I recall seeing at other branches. Although nothing stood out as pleasantly unusual, everything looked clean and the Toyota that I chose had under 1000 miles on it.

In a lot of ways, that nothing stood out as unusual may be the best way to characterize this location. Checking in, checking out and the vehicle selection were standard National fare, which in my book is a very good thing.

Notes:
* What's One-Two-Free? Periodically, those who sign up and earn points through rentals and/or select add-on purchases receive a coupon code for a free day (the program is repeatable too; I don't know that there's a cap on how many free days you can accrue). The one major caveat to the deal? The free day coupon doesn't stack with any free days that you might've earned from Emerald Club membership and may interfere with other coupons.
Josey T.
Franklinville, NY
I have attempted to use National twice in the last few years and both experiences were incredibly poor.
Experience 1: The car we rented 3 weeks in advance was not at the airport in Buffalo, NY when we landed. There was no apology, no offer of an upgrade not even an offer of a different vehicle! They just said "Oh, a mistake was made ... try another agency down the row".
Experience 2: We booked our car with National 30 days in advance. We landed at the airport, got to the counter and they tried to charge us $300 more than our original booking cost. When we asked if that was a security deposit they said "No, that is the cost of your rental". I showed them our confirmation email showing the original cost of $260 and NOT $560. They said it must have bee a mistake and refused to give us our original price. We will NEVER ever use National again.
Tiffany V.
We love renting from National. The customer service is great, as is the selection of vehicles. The process of renting couldn't be easier. We simply make our reservation online, go to the rental location, choose a car from the appropriate line, get in, check out with the attendant, and we're on our way. I've never experienced a smoother, faster, easier rental. We also like their rewards program and having the ability to earn free rentals as well as executive line vehicles ect for the price of the economy line. We have always had a great experience with National!
Eden B.
Saratoga Spgs, UT
We used National car rental in Tampa. The prices were competitive and it was an easy online rental. When we arrived we found that our mid-size cars were all taken. We got in late and the desk was apologetic. They checked what was left and darn it, all they had was a CONVERTIBLE MUSTANG or a mini van. We took the Mustang. We had it for our 3 day stay and it was a fun car to drive around town. We felt like it was an upgrade for the same price. I have no complaints. Now, if the mini van was all that I got, this story may have been different. :)
Anna P.
I had an excellent experience at the National Car Rental desk at JFK. The Manager/Supervisor greeted us and shook my hand. The gal that assisted us was more than friendly and customer service oriented. She took her time trying to find us a better deal. It was a Sunday at about 3:30 in the afternoon. She also assisted us to go see where we pick our car. Just nice. That's all it takes ! So I would use them again as long as that service continues why not !!! And we got some complimentary cold bottled water. Nice work National keep it up !!!!!
Diane R.
Monroe , nj
All car rental companies have issues. It is most likely related to how they are paid. However, if you are a member of National's loyalty program, you just go to the car you want, get in it and drive away. It really works out great not having to go to the counter and the car is what we want. Just remember, when reserving online, look for a discount or upgrade code. Makes National just as competitive and any other rental company.
Ariel F.
Fountain Vly, CA
Definitely not my favorite place to rent from. Last time I used their services, they were 6 miles off-site from the airport and I had to wait 45 minutes in the snow for the driver to come and get me. After he picked me up, he took several detours to pick up other passengers, totaling in more than an hour of me sitting in a car waiting to get my rental car that I had booked hours before. When I finally arrived, they
Erica G.
I have rented from national a few times now. I have take the car on out of state trips for almost a week and it was very reasonably priced. Many times when i set up my rental and show up to pick up my rental they have worked out a cheaper rate than what i ecpexted. The cars are always clean, reliable and i have never had any issues. Would definitely recommend.
Cori H.
I am an Emerald Club member. My first rental with National was out of town and totalled my car. Needing to rent a car to drive home, I searched rates at several companies. National offered easy reservations, an effortless check-in counter experience, & easy car selection. The Emerald Club price was the best for the car size for a one way rental.
Emily R.
Charlotte, NC
I rent from National every weekend through my company. I love the emerald club and all the cars available to choose from in the emerald/executive aisle. Counter by-pass is an awesome feature, very rarely do I have to wait for assistance. I would definitely recommend using National--plus as an Emerald Club member you earn free rental days!
Jeimy C.
Vancouver, WA
Globetrotter Expert
Would you recommend over other car rentals?
Alicia R.
Dexter, ME
How we'll does National hold up against its competitors?
TRACY O.
Globetrotter Expert
I've read mixed reviews but the 2x I've tried them they have been very rude and NOT helpful. There prices are close to competitors if not a bit more.
gennis e.
Globetrotter Expert
Tienen vehículos en buen estado?