BY NARS #99 in Liquid Foundation

An oil-free skin tint to protect and perfect with a soft-matte finish. This oil-free formula wears comfortably, maintaining skin's natural moisture barrier while working to control shine throughout the day. Transparent Blurring Powders help to blur imperfections, even the look of skintone, and smooth the appearance of pores and fine lines. The powders' unique, spherical shape compresses like a cushion, delivering a velvety-smooth, touchable feel and superior comfort on application. Vitamins C, E, and broad spectrum SPF 30 protect against free-radical damage caused by environmental stress. Simply touch and go for an effortlessly perfected look.

Research results: In a 2 week independent U.S. consumer study of 61 participants:

- 98% agree the formula felt comfortable and breathable on their skin

- 93% agree the formula gave their skin a natural look

- 86% agree the formula controlled oil and shine throughout the day

• Is this product okay to use during Autumn and Winter months? I se...1 Answers
  • Would you recommend this for someone with combo skin? Also does i...2 Answers
  • is this medium to full coverage? and does it really dry down matt...1 Answers
jaye z.
This foundation was one of my first purchases at Sephora so I was really excited to try a new foundation. I went into the store and a sales clerk helped me to get matched for my color (Seychelles). My skin type changes from season to season (weird) but it was spring time so the weather wasn't as hot. At the time my skin was dry. The clerk informed me that since I had dry skin that she recommend that I use a moisturizer (duh!) before application and she also applied a Benefit Primer before she put it on my face. At the store, the overall color and application seemed okay and it looked nice on my skin so I ended up purchasing the foundation. The first time I actually wore this foundation my skin appeared to be really really ashy, probably because it's a matte foundation. In certain areas on my face the foundation oxidized as well. I did moisturize my face and used a primer but this foundation is just really difficult to work with. It goes on really, really matte and you have to work this foundation in sections on your face as it dries quickly. I'm not sure whats up with the formula but there is also a chemical smell with this foundation. I never returned it to Sephora because I wasn't sure if I could return it so I still have it. Since I spent over $40 on this foundation and I'm frugal, I will continue to use it and maybe try to wear it in the winter seasons, just to see how it holds up in colder weather and not warmer weather. I was so excited to try a NARS foundation as I have some lipsticks from this brand, which does great (I'll review their lipstick) but probably would not purchase this brand foundation again and would not recommend either
Catherine O.
Saint Paul, MN
Love! I have oily, VERY oily skin. Think oil slick in the t zone literally minutes after applying my Urban Decay setting spray( which is wonderful, don't get me wrong. It's just like my face is saying " it's me not you." UD spray is a huge helper but some Leon's are just too big). Anyhow, this stuff is awesome! Great shades you won't risk going too orangey or too corpse face in the lighter shades. I've used this with a tan and with out, in the heat and in the cold.
If you have oily skin then this is a must. Just add it as a holy grail product bc after one use it will be a staple. Decent amount of product. Doesn't feel like there's a ton left unattainable once it won't come out of the packaging on its own. Worth the money.
PS- it's not a full coverage but it's also not s tiny. If you're looking for medium coverage this is for you.
Shannon C.
Corona Dl Mar, CA
Review for: Malaga (medium dark with warm caramel undertones)
I really wanted to love this but it was just bad. I'm giving it two stars because Nars always uses quality ingredients and no irritating fragrance. But there were just no redeeming qualities about this foundation. It was absolutely visible on the skin, even cakey- looking, which is ironic because it's meant to be sheer and fluid. It did not apply smoothly, and it distributed unevenly on the skin (my skin was smooth, clean, and primed), with a patchy effect. I can't comment on its longevity because I washed it off and reapplied my makeup before leaving the house that day. Listen, I read other reviews that were similar to this before I bought it but I love Nars and had to have it anyway. If, unlike me, you prefer not to learn the hard way, then take my advice and skip this one, as alluring as it may be.
Radhika M.
San Jose, CA
In general, I love NARS bases because of the availability of colors suitable for a lot of skin tones and colors. The Velvet Matte tint is the only foundation/tinted moisturizer to have my exact skin match - St. Moritz (the radiant tinted moisturizer same shade is a bit light for me). While this is described as a tint, I find the coverage quite high and combined with the powdery finish, its almost like applying heavier coverage. Another advantage is the SPF of 30 - always a plus especially now in summer. Personally, I prefer sheerer coverage tinted moisturizers and I find the powdery finish a little too matte. Thats just my personal preference, though, and someone with oily skin and/or anyone looking for a lightweight medium coverage formula would love this product.
Simone M.
East Hampstead, NH
I will never use any other foundation after trying the Nars Velvet Matte Skin Tint. For my skin I use the shade Medium 2 and apply it with a damp beauty blender. I have extremely oily skin and this product actually stays on my face all day long. The matte finish diminishes shininess in areas such as your nose and forehead. If you have more discoloration on your face I would not suggest this product because it is NOT full coverage. The product packaging is excellent. The product comes is a plastic tube. The reason why I feel this way about the packaging is because you can get a lot of product out of it and it will last you a long time. Overall this is my favorite foundation. If you have oily skin definitely give this a try.
Jen B.
Arlington, VA
I purchased this as I was looking for something light weight, easy to apply, and long wearing. After going through half the bottle I give this 4 stars. First, the color selection is very good for fair complexions. I wear shade Finland and it works great on my yellow undertone skin. Second, the coverage is amazing and you can't feel it on the skin. It does seem like it has alcohol so it dries down fast! My one issue is that I use the tiniest amount. Smaller than a dime amount and it seems to come off throughout the day. I work in sales so this is not very good but for someone more active who likes coverage but not too thick this is perfect. I think I still prefer Estée Lauder double wear mixed with moisturizer.
Lacey
Oh my, don't get me started. I could rant on & on about my obsession I have with this matte foundation. It's very light weight on the skin & does a remarkable job on covering blemishes. I've received multiple compliments when going out about how beamingly beautiful my skin looks, & considering I'm a beauty guru I love sharing the product information with anyone who compliments or asks me about what I use. This is just one of those products that will never get old! NARS products in general give you that natural finished beautified "look" that is ladies always seek. I love trying to out new stuff and I hope to soon tryout some more of the nars products next time I stop into Sephora!
Katie B.
Orange, CA
Review for: Alaska (light w/a neutral balance of pink and yellow undertones)
I recently discovered this product while at Sephora a couple of months ago. I am often lazy on work days when it comes to make up so I wanted something quick but with good enough coverage to cover up redness. The employee showed this to me and I was happy to see this was mattifying since I do have quite oily skin. Now after using this for a couple of months I can say that while I am surprised at how well the coverage is for this skin tint, it doesn't not control my oily skin like I had hoped it would. Soon after I have finished my makeup I can feel the oil seeping through and see the shininess. I will continue to use this though and could see myself restocking it in the future.
Kelly E.
East Meadow, NY
Review for: Finland (lightest w/neutral yellow undertones)
I'm torn when it comes to this product- it's really great for what it is but when you have normal to dry skin like myself you really end up needing to work for it for it to not look cakey. As the name suggests this is a pretty solid medium coverage matte finish foundation (not so much a tint really- significant amount of coverage). Application is tricky because with a brush it applies very streaky and with a beauty blender it is a very sheer application but preferred over the brush in my opinion. Most if not all shades in this line lean very yellow so those pink undertones gals and guys beware and test in stores!
Emily W.
Mandeville, LA
I bought this on recommendation from a YouTuber and had high hopes. I tried one shade, but it was too dark, so I found the correct shade and am reviewing based on that shade. The formula felt great and went on well (I used a beauty sponge). However, it did NOT last as long as other foundations (and CC creams) I have tried; it did not last a full work day, both on my oily spots and on my normal spots on my face. By the end of my work day, it didn't appear I had any makeup on at all! Unfortunately, I'll be returning this as it is just too expensive a product for not working or lasting through my work day.
Glyniel C.
Is this good for combo skin and is it full, medium or light coverage?
Yamilet Romero R.
This product is good for oily skin?
Arianna S.
Allen, TX
How much coverage does this offer? is this worth trying?
Katelyn H.
Is this basically foundation? If now, what is a "skin tint," is it like a tanner?
Kasey E.
Ferguson, MO
Tried this out at Sephora the other day wasn't really too pleased with it ? Looked like I was wearing nothing nor spending 45 dollars on nothing was wondering is this a foundation or more like a BB cream