28 colors available

BY NARS #28 in Lipstick

The convenience of a pencil with the application of a lipstick in a jumbo-size crayon design.  Instantly coats lips with rich pigment, imparting a velvet matte finish for seamless color.  The long lasting yet non-drying formula is enriched with special emollients for a creamy texture, while a combination of unique silicones ensures long-lasting, velvety color for hours. Color lasts for hours Lipstick in a jumbo pencil.

- Easy to apply Enriched with Vitamin E

• Is this worth buying? Does it crack your lips as it is a crayon? 3 Answers
  • How is the pigmentation? 2 Answers
  • Is there a base I need to use before putting this NARS lip pencil o...8 Answers
NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil
  • "Not very long lasting, but I got two lip pencils by NARS (Cruella - velvet matte; Rikugien - satin) free for my birthday at Sephora and love the shades and formula." in 5 reviews
WebM D.
WebM D.
L-O-V-E

With matte lips being the current trend and me suffering from FOMO (fear of missing out) I knew I had to take the plunge. I didn't waste time with looking for the most affordable options and instead went straight for NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Cruella. I'm absolutely obsessed, you guys! You can line your lips and fill them all with one pencil. The pencil allows precise and easy application. The color is rich and long wearing. I didn't do any prep work on my lips (although I've since added a lip exfoliator prior to application because it just makes me lips feel softer) and this didn't make my lips look dry or flaky. I would suggest setting with just a bit of translucent powder. It keeps the color from jumping off your lips to your cheeseburger. What can I say? A girl's gotta eat. Sharpens with a regular lip or pencil sharpener. Bottom line, worth every cent and I've gotten so many compliments on this color in particular. Keeper!
Divya R.
Divya R.
Camas, WA
Review for: Duo
I remember that Cruella was in my birthday gift last year, but I didn't get to use it that much because all of a sudden, when I went into my makeup bag to put it on, the pencil had disappeared! It must have fallen out somewhere, but I've been wanting it since then! It's actually a really good color on me - I'm very fair, with chestnut brown hair and green eyes. The other color, Dolce Vita, is a lovely shade of dusky rose, and even though others have said that it, too, was in the birthday gift last year, they're incorrect -- that was Rikujen (not sure I spelled that correctly). But to make a long story shorter, these are highly pigmented and very comfortable lip pencils, not to mention a good deal at $20!!!
Mary K.
Mary K.
Tallahassee, FL
Beauty Junkie Expert
As a redhead, finding a good shade of red lipstick is near impossible. I'm not the type of redhead that can get away with any shade of red, else I look like a clown. I received a sample of this lip pencil in Cruella from Sephora and fell. in. love. This is the PERFECT red shade on me! It goes on velvety smooth and even which I love. With it being a matte, it definitely FEELS matte, and my lips start drying out. But if I use any type of lip moisturizer before, the color doesn't last nearly as long. If I use anything after, it almost alters the color a bit, and again, doesn't last as long. As a result, I typically save this for a night out or a special occasion.
makayla d.
makayla d.
Manteca, CA
I usually don't really care for matte lipstick due to its drying effect. I love the look, but hate the dryness! Thankfully this lipstick did not dry out my lips AT ALL! :) I found it to be a very great product. I received a sample in the color Dolce Vita which is a reddish color. I loved this color! I was a little skeptical because red is not usually my favorite on my fairer skin, but this red had more of a natural look to it. Nudes usually do not really work on me, but this color really complimented my complexion and worked as a natural colored lipstick. Goes on smooth and stays on pretty well. I suggest using a liner with it though.
Kate P.
Kate P.
Richardson, TX
I got this as a birthday gift from sephora in cruella. I loooooove this lip pencil. the color is AMAZING for when you want to have kind of an edgy vibe or for a classy cocktail situation. based on some of my other friends also wearing this shade, I feel like it's a fairly universal color. I think I've gotten a lot ofnuse out of it for the size it is, and I haven't had any trouble sharpening it or traveling with it (some other pencils have caps that don't stay on when you're on the go, but I've had no issues with this pencil). I'll definitely be buying another one when I run out of this one.
Meagan H.
Meagan H.
EVANSVILLE, IN
I am Obsessed with these NARS velvet matte lip pencils. They are perfection . Nars really nailed this formal , they are super creamy , so smooth , non drying on the lips and they last all day . I love Nars they always have such a great shade range no matter what color you are looking for they will always have multi colors to choose from . These are my favorite matte lipsticks out of any brand. The price is very justifiable when you are investing in a product that will last you a very long time. If you haven't tried these lip pencils , you must! You can also use these as a lip liner!
Jazzmine M.
Jazzmine M.
Hammond, IN
Review for: Cosmetics Toundra
Consistent in being smooth, easy to apply, and comfortably matte. These aren't 100% transfer proof, but they do transfer much less than other traditional matte lipsticks (that aren't liquid lipsticks). The trade-off is that the velvet matte lip pencils are much more comfortable than most liquid matte lipsticks. I love the sharpened tip, eliminating the need for lip liner. The only negative is that they could stand to be a bit more pigmented; it's not a problem for me personally, but I imagine people with really pigmented lips might yearn for a bit more color.
Jessi J.
Jessi J.
Charleston, Sc
Review for: Nars Velvet Matte Lip Pencil "Paimpol" -2476 2.4G/0.08Oz
I love Nars and the only reason I don't give it 5 stars is that it doesn't last long on me and the need to constantly reapply it is complicated by the fact that it requires a sharpener to access more product. I started using the NARS pencils for travel and they are perfect for this, but I do have to sharpen them almost every day. My second caution is that if you live or travel in very hot climate areas, you must be very careful when using the lip pencils as they can soften to the point of easily breaking or melting, making application almost impossible.
Christie R.
Christie R.
San Diego, CA
Review for: NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil, Train Bleu
I absolutely love the formula of NARS Matte Lip Pencils. They are easy to apply and they last so long for me. I have so many allergies to make up and NARS is one of the few brands that I can wear. I really love this shade in particular because it's the day-to-night lip color, which I feel like is something that we're all looking for—that color we can where to a dinner after work. Btw, I am fair-skinned with green eyes and blonde hair. I always hate it that people don't provide that information in reviews of makeup because it makes a difference. Enjoy!
Aly S.
Aly S.
Review for: Mysterious Red (crimson red)
I only gave this two stars because I am not a fan of my lips feeling like they are about to flake off. If you want a matte lip that doesn't budge give this a try. If you don't want to feel like your lips have shriveled up into the Sahara dessert, don't try this. It goes on nicely, is super pigmented and looks beautiful for about an hour. Your lips quickly dry up, the color settles into those lip lines you get when your lips dry out and it is not a cute look. If you love matte lips and don't mind the dryness it is worth a shot for the staying power.
Paige C.
Paige C.
Winter Spgs, FL
Does this stay all day? Or do you have to touch up frequently?
Anne W.
Anne W.
Beauty Junkie Expert
I've been looking for the perfect red, matte lip. I've heard good things about this one and I love Nars products! How long does this stay on with average wear?
Patricia G.
Patricia G.
Milan
What's your favourite shade?
ali l.
ali l.
Gainesville, FL
Is it similar to a lipstick? I was looking for a nice red lipstick for new year's eve. I was recommended this but it seems more like a pencil.
Sarah M.
Sarah M.
Atlanta, GA
Beauty Junkie Expert
Is there a base I need to use before putting this NARS lip pencil on? The color fades rather quickly.