Add a Photo

By NARS
#58 in Lipstick

Bahama:   Pink brown The convenience of a pencil with the application of a lipstick in a jumbo-size crayon design.  Instantly coats lips with rich pigment, imparting a velvet matte finish for seamless color.  The long lasting yet non-drying formula is enriched with special emollients for a creamy texture, while a combination of unique silicones ensures long-lasting, velvety color for hours. Color lasts for hours Lipstick in a jumbo pencil.

- Easy to apply Enriched with Vitamin E

Photos (206)
Stephanie L.
Stephanie L.
Kitchener, ON

I have this wonderful pencil in the shade "Cruella," and it is, I say this without metaphor or hyperbole, ABSOLUTE MAGIC!

I purchased it upon the recommendation of my best (but sadly long distance) friend, who received a sample of it in the same shade in a Sephora online order. She told me that whenever she wears it, men flirt with her, stare at her & her lips, and even, in a particularly odd, borderline creepy case -- follow her around a grocery store for over 20 minutes!

I laughed at her silly story, but retained the main point of it being a hugely flattering, wildly attractive shade that brings positive, even if sometimes boundary crossing, attention from the opposite gender.

I bought a pencil the next day. What can I say? I'm a bored lil housewife, I figured I'd love some attention! Perhaps not the supermarket stalker, but maybe a smile or two. I am most accustomed to nobody but my partner giving me that manner of attention: the flirty, mildly desirous kind. How exciting a possibility! All in one (wildly expensive!) lip product!

The first day I wore it, I was in love with it before I even left the makeup mirror: it went on soooo smoothly, like an absolute dream. The colour was rich, sultry, and suited my pale skin tone, hazel eyes, and (colour-treated) dark hair. It suited my brown-eyed, naturally brunette, fair-skinned friend just as well. While we're not polar opposites in general physical looks, it was still nice that it looked so good on us both!

Even the smell is lovely. I have read online that some women find it drying to their lips, but I found it nothing but utterly comfortable all throughout the day, with vibrant pigmentation befitting such a pricey product, and incredible staying power: I only had to reapply once, which for me is absolutely AWESOME, especially since it is not considered a "stain" product.

I happened to go to a grocery store one day while wearing my new favorite lip colour.

My friend's experiences in her own local grocery had escaped my thinking, up until the first stranger began openly staring at me, in the way that absolutely never happens to me.

A man in his 70s worked his hardest to prolong the small talk conversation he initiated over the frozen fish, staring at my lips occasionally.

Two men, separately, stared at me as I walked by, unaware, as my partner stared them down, telling me later with a laugh that they liked the lipstick as much as he did.

In one day, I got SIX COMPLIMENTS on Cruella, from five different people! One woman stopped me on the sidewalk and demanded to know where to buy it. One man, in a very unfortunate turn of events, tried to kiss me in the line-up at an ATM ... he was rebuffed, and scolded harshly for being such an absolute creep, and his only excuse was a nervous sentence fragment: "Your ... but ... lip ..." was all I heard before fleeing with a speed suitable for escaping not just unleashed aggressive dogs, nearby oncoming tornadoes, and bank weirdos.

So, in sum: BUY THIS. Be ready for a wild array of types of attention. Enjoy the polite comments, the gentle glances, the frantic attempts to talk to you, and the smiles from passersby.

Be on guard for the possibility of smooch assault, as well as what will probably become annoying frequency of much older men trying to rope you into conversations that nobody under 1000 years old could ever care about -- I'm not sure why he wanted to talk about HAM radio, but I know that this lip pencil drove him to it in its own small part.

Have fun and stay vigilant!
Kennedy J.
Kennedy J.
Kitchener, Ontario

NARS Velvet Matte in Bahama- I love, love, loooove this pencil! I've tried lipstick in general before and I've never really been taken with it. But since using the velvet matte lipstick pencil my whole perspective on lipstick has changed. Once you apply it, it feels like it's not even there. The colour that I picked (Bahama) is a perfect match to my face's natural colours/contours/highlights, so it really adds to my face instead of taking away. I always 'blot' when I attempt lipstick because there is so much extra that doesn't need to be there, but when I tried to blot the first few times of using this pencil, nothing came off at all which means there isn't a crazy amount of extra product that isn't being used. It's not going to waste at all, it can be applied to the perfect amount. People always tell me that matte lipstick 'sucks because it dries out your lips' but honestly I just apply a bit of one of my EOS balls to my lips before hand, and my lips feel fine the whole day through. I will always highly recommend NARS products, I am obsessed with them.
WebM D.
WebM D.

L-O-V-E

With matte lips being the current trend and me suffering from FOMO (fear of missing out) I knew I had to take the plunge. I didn't waste time with looking for the most affordable options and instead went straight for NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Cruella. I'm absolutely obsessed, you guys! You can line your lips and fill them all with one pencil. The pencil allows precise and easy application. The color is rich and long wearing. I didn't do any prep work on my lips (although I've since added a lip exfoliator prior to application because it just makes me lips feel softer) and this didn't make my lips look dry or flaky. I would suggest setting with just a bit of translucent powder. It keeps the color from jumping off your lips to your cheeseburger. What can I say? A girl's gotta eat. Sharpens with a regular lip or pencil sharpener. Bottom line, worth every cent and I've gotten so many compliments on this color in particular. Keeper!
Tonya A.
Tonya A.

I am IN LOVE with this lipstick. IN. LOVE. I received the Cruella colour as a birthday gift from Sephora and after it ran out, went and bought the regular size. Cruella is a great colour for almost every skin tone, although the other colours are beautiful as well. The product glides on very smoothly and stays on A LONG TIME. No smudging and hardly any residue was left on anything (cups/glasses, etc). And it feels almost moisturizing. My lips never felt dried out and never cracked. I could rave about this product all day. I've had so many compliments on this product, it's crazy. The reason why I gave it 4* instead of 5 is that for $30, you'd think it'd have more than an inch of product. The pencil you buy is it. There's no twist up for more product. For what little you get, I find it to be pricey. Not sure I'll buy it again for that reason. If it were $20, I would re-purchase, but not for $30.
Karen P.
Karen P.
Lexington, KY

For the longest time I have been a MAC Matte lipstick girl, and I really thought nothing would ever change my mind. But last year at Sephora the members birthday gift was a set of Nars lip pencils, and one of them was a velvet matte pencil in Cruella. Since then I have been a convert. Don't get me wrong, I still love my MAC and will continue to purchase them, but NARS offers a different kind of matte experience. These matte pencils give you the look and feel of a matte lipstick, but they are much more comfortable to wear. They go on like a satin and dry to matte. They don't wear as long as a MAC, but that's okay for the comfort level. Since receiving that first one, I now have purchase three other colors on my own.
Tracey B.
Tracey B.
Waterford, NY

NARS Velvet Matte lip pencil in Cruella is a game changer. I've read countless beauty articles about how everyone can wear red lipstick, but I never truly believed it until I tried this product. For some reason, I always looked like a clown or like I just ate a ton of red freeze pops. I couldn't find that red lip color that made me feel like a rockstar.. Until I got this for my birthday and tried it out. AMAZING. It's the right shade of red, application is pretty smooth, and I love the matte finish. This is the rich red in matte I've always been looking for, and is now my go-to red lip color. If you're like me and you've had a difficult time trying to find that right shade of red, you really need to try this one.
Divya R.
Divya R.
Quincy, MA

I remember that Cruella was in my birthday gift last year, but I didn't get to use it that much because all of a sudden, when I went into my makeup bag to put it on, the pencil had disappeared! It must have fallen out somewhere, but I've been wanting it since then! It's actually a really good color on me - I'm very fair, with chestnut brown hair and green eyes. The other color, Dolce Vita, is a lovely shade of dusky rose, and even though others have said that it, too, was in the birthday gift last year, they're incorrect -- that was Rikujen (not sure I spelled that correctly). But to make a long story shorter, these are highly pigmented and very comfortable lip pencils, not to mention a good deal at $20!!!
Mary K.
Mary K.
Tallahassee, FL

As a redhead, finding a good shade of red lipstick is near impossible. I'm not the type of redhead that can get away with any shade of red, else I look like a clown. I received a sample of this lip pencil in Cruella from Sephora and fell. in. love. This is the PERFECT red shade on me! It goes on velvety smooth and even which I love. With it being a matte, it definitely FEELS matte, and my lips start drying out. But if I use any type of lip moisturizer before, the color doesn't last nearly as long. If I use anything after, it almost alters the color a bit, and again, doesn't last as long. As a result, I typically save this for a night out or a special occasion.
makayla d.
makayla d.
Manteca, CA

I usually don't really care for matte lipstick due to its drying effect. I love the look, but hate the dryness! Thankfully this lipstick did not dry out my lips AT ALL! :) I found it to be a very great product. I received a sample in the color Dolce Vita which is a reddish color. I loved this color! I was a little skeptical because red is not usually my favorite on my fairer skin, but this red had more of a natural look to it. Nudes usually do not really work on me, but this color really complimented my complexion and worked as a natural colored lipstick. Goes on smooth and stays on pretty well. I suggest using a liner with it though.
Elizabeth L.
Elizabeth L.
San Francisco, CA

By far my FAVORITE lip pencil. I love wearing red lipstick and finding a lip pencil is always the hard part for me. I originally got this as a tester from Sephora, but continued to buy it thereafter. It goes on so easily and comes off just as easy if you make a mistake. The color is true to what you see so there is no deception when you open it. I have never used a lip pencil that has felt so smooth on my lips and to me that is a quality a good lip pencil should have since lips are so sensitive. I would highly recommend this product to anyone. It doesn't have to be this exact color but in general the velvet line is amazing!
Paige C.
Paige C.
Winter Spgs, FL

Does this stay all day? Or do you have to touch up frequently?
Anne W.
Anne W.

I've been looking for the perfect red, matte lip. I've heard good things about this one and I love Nars products! How long does this stay on with average wear?
Patricia G.
Patricia G.
Milan

What's your favourite shade?
ali l.
ali l.
Gainesville, FL

Is it similar to a lipstick? I was looking for a nice red lipstick for new year's eve. I was recommended this but it seems more like a pencil.
Sarah M.
Sarah M.
Atlanta, GA

Is there a base I need to use before putting this NARS lip pencil on? The color fades rather quickly.

Join Now