Add a Photo

By NARS
#92 in Lipstick

Bahama:   Pink brown The convenience of a pencil with the application of a lipstick in a jumbo-size crayon design.  Instantly coats lips with rich pigment, imparting a velvet matte finish for seamless color.  The long lasting yet non-drying formula is enriched with special emollients for a creamy texture, while a combination of unique silicones ensures long-lasting, velvety color for hours. Color lasts for hours Lipstick in a jumbo pencil.

- Easy to apply Enriched with Vitamin E

Photos (222)
Kateryna M.
Kateryna M.
Brooklyn, NY

I first read about NARS Cosmetics in an internet article (maybe from Allure?) - one of those "best beauty finds" stories. It mentioned the NARS Matte Lip Pencil. The recommended color was "Roman Holiday" so I ordered one from the company. I was truly surprised! It's just a big, fat, lip crayon (NOT a liner). Very sturdy, and the color glides on and covers like lipstick, but has a velvety texture like...well, almost like ChapStik. It will last for many hours and DOES NOT "pill" like lipstick (which I have grown to hate over the years). The ingredients must be gentle because my lips feel soft even after the color has worn away. The "Roman Holiday" color is a shiny, pale pink. I decided to try a different color (darker) so I ordered "Cruella" Nice color, considering that it was always a pain for me to find out just a right RED match for my skin type (pale white, especially winter time). These pencils are a MUST-HAVE for any gal's make up bag. And NARS customer service is one the best EVER to work with! Yes, they may be a little pricey, but I think it's worth it.

I did read a review from someone who gave this product a low rating because they couldn't get the pencil sharpened. NARS sells a multi-product sharpener ($6) that sharpens 3 or 4 of their different pencils. The wrap of the Matte Lip Pencil is VERY thick, and must be sharpened slowly or it will be ruined. Keep this in mind when it's time to sharpen your pencil. And don't forget to remove the adapter that's stuck in the hole for the lip pencil!
Rawda K.
Rawda K.

I have heard and read great reviews about the NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil that i finally had to get one. Being a big fan of many NARS products, I wasn't surprised that this Lip Pencil quickly became one of my absolute favorites to wear all the time. I went for the Beautiful Shade Cruella. It is almost like a blueish red shade that can be worn bold by applying a couple coats, or a bit light by applying one coat. It's a thick lip pencil that's so easy to line lips with and then fill in the rest of your lips if you want to wear the one shade, but what i like about the fact that it is a lip pencil is that it is really easy to create an Ombre lip look by using two different shades, one to line lips with and the other lighter tone to fill in your lips. I love the staying power of this product. It literally stays put all day without fading or feathering even while you eat and drink. Although it's matte, it does not dry your lips or make them look flaky. I wore it out yesterday and received so many complements on it. Although this shade in my opinion is a bold blue red even thoug it looks brighter in the picture, that would be worn by many probably in the fall and winter seasons, i actually really liked it on me in the spring. I have light neutral undertone complexion but i tan easily in spring summer and end up with a medium complexion without even laying out in the sun if that helps with deciding whether or not this shade may be good for you. I included pictures so you get an idea of what this shade looks like. #Influenster #Influenstervox #contest @Influenster NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil #BloomBadge
WebM D.
WebM D.

L-O-V-E

With matte lips being the current trend and me suffering from FOMO (fear of missing out) I knew I had to take the plunge. I didn't waste time with looking for the most affordable options and instead went straight for NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Cruella. I'm absolutely obsessed, you guys! You can line your lips and fill them all with one pencil. The pencil allows precise and easy application. The color is rich and long wearing. I didn't do any prep work on my lips (although I've since added a lip exfoliator prior to application because it just makes me lips feel softer) and this didn't make my lips look dry or flaky. I would suggest setting with just a bit of translucent powder. It keeps the color from jumping off your lips to your cheeseburger. What can I say? A girl's gotta eat. Sharpens with a regular lip or pencil sharpener. Bottom line, worth every cent and I've gotten so many compliments on this color in particular. Keeper!
Karen P.
Karen P.
Lexington, KY

For the longest time I have been a MAC Matte lipstick girl, and I really thought nothing would ever change my mind. But last year at Sephora the members birthday gift was a set of Nars lip pencils, and one of them was a velvet matte pencil in Cruella. Since then I have been a convert. Don't get me wrong, I still love my MAC and will continue to purchase them, but NARS offers a different kind of matte experience. These matte pencils give you the look and feel of a matte lipstick, but they are much more comfortable to wear. They go on like a satin and dry to matte. They don't wear as long as a MAC, but that's okay for the comfort level. Since receiving that first one, I now have purchase three other colors on my own.
Tracey B.
Tracey B.
Waterford, NY

NARS Velvet Matte lip pencil in Cruella is a game changer. I've read countless beauty articles about how everyone can wear red lipstick, but I never truly believed it until I tried this product. For some reason, I always looked like a clown or like I just ate a ton of red freeze pops. I couldn't find that red lip color that made me feel like a rockstar.. Until I got this for my birthday and tried it out. AMAZING. It's the right shade of red, application is pretty smooth, and I love the matte finish. This is the rich red in matte I've always been looking for, and is now my go-to red lip color. If you're like me and you've had a difficult time trying to find that right shade of red, you really need to try this one.
Divya R.
Divya R.
Vancouver, WA

I remember that Cruella was in my birthday gift last year, but I didn't get to use it that much because all of a sudden, when I went into my makeup bag to put it on, the pencil had disappeared! It must have fallen out somewhere, but I've been wanting it since then! It's actually a really good color on me - I'm very fair, with chestnut brown hair and green eyes. The other color, Dolce Vita, is a lovely shade of dusky rose, and even though others have said that it, too, was in the birthday gift last year, they're incorrect -- that was Rikujen (not sure I spelled that correctly). But to make a long story shorter, these are highly pigmented and very comfortable lip pencils, not to mention a good deal at $20!!!
Carolina G.
Carolina G.
Doral, FL

know almost every other reviewer has already said this, but Cruella is the ULTIMATE shade of red. I have super super fair skin, so I usually can't get away with anything other then a muted neutral lipstick, but I got a mini of Cruella + another shade a couple years ago as the birthday gift and I've been addicted ever since. Its my go-to lipstick. Its easy to apply & control; I can easily do the "kyle" over-line with precision. However, I don't find it long-lasting, and it can be a little on the dry side (I put on a regular lip balm before application to combat this). However, I will remain loyal because the colour is a diamond in the rough, so re-applying every couple hours isn't a big deal.
Mary K.
Mary K.
Tallahassee, FL

As a redhead, finding a good shade of red lipstick is near impossible. I'm not the type of redhead that can get away with any shade of red, else I look like a clown. I received a sample of this lip pencil in Cruella from Sephora and fell. in. love. This is the PERFECT red shade on me! It goes on velvety smooth and even which I love. With it being a matte, it definitely FEELS matte, and my lips start drying out. But if I use any type of lip moisturizer before, the color doesn't last nearly as long. If I use anything after, it almost alters the color a bit, and again, doesn't last as long. As a result, I typically save this for a night out or a special occasion.
makayla d.
makayla d.
Manteca, CA

I usually don't really care for matte lipstick due to its drying effect. I love the look, but hate the dryness! Thankfully this lipstick did not dry out my lips AT ALL! :) I found it to be a very great product. I received a sample in the color Dolce Vita which is a reddish color. I loved this color! I was a little skeptical because red is not usually my favorite on my fairer skin, but this red had more of a natural look to it. Nudes usually do not really work on me, but this color really complimented my complexion and worked as a natural colored lipstick. Goes on smooth and stays on pretty well. I suggest using a liner with it though.
Hibah Y.
Hibah Y.

Absolutely love this lipstick, I normally don't wear red lipstick but with this product I can make an exception. The quality of the lipstick is wonderful, amazing pigmentation and definitely lasts long. I could wear this lipstick for 8 hours while eating and drinking and this lipstick will still have a strong color and doesn't look faded which is the best considering the price. I have the mysterious red shade, the sad part is when I tried to put the cap back on the lipstick popped out and broke. I wish there was a little more product because the pencil itself is pretty big but obviously when you open it the product portion is small.
Paige C.
Paige C.
Winter Spgs, FL

Does this stay all day? Or do you have to touch up frequently?
Anne W.
Anne W.

I've been looking for the perfect red, matte lip. I've heard good things about this one and I love Nars products! How long does this stay on with average wear?
Patricia G.
Patricia G.
Milan

What's your favourite shade?
ali l.
ali l.
Gainesville, FL

Is it similar to a lipstick? I was looking for a nice red lipstick for new year's eve. I was recommended this but it seems more like a pencil.
Sarah M.
Sarah M.
Atlanta, GA

Is there a base I need to use before putting this NARS lip pencil on? The color fades rather quickly.

Join Now