MyFitnessPal
#17 in Apps
Natalie M.
Natalie M.
Des Moines, IA
Any tips or tricks for better estimating serving sizes? Also, how do you know if calorie totals are truly accurate?
Michelle T.
Michelle T.
2 years, 7 months ago
Get a food scale.
Eunice A.
Eunice A.
2 years, 9 months ago
I google pictures of food sizes and estimate with that...it helps a lot.
Dani H.
Dani H.
Canyon Country, CA
2 years, 11 months ago
Weighing food definitely helps. A lot of the time a serving size of "13 chips" is a lot different than the serving size per ounce. It can help you keep better track.
Chelsea W.
Elicia P.
Elicia P.
Cleveland, OH
3 years, 10 months ago
Getting a food scale helps a lot. Also, measuring cups do wonders when you are at home. You can find web-sites that help you visualize what the portion should equal to. I have found foods that do not equal to what the package sates so I always estimate 50 calories higher than what the app states. This way I can keep under my allotment.
Lisa T.
Lisa T.
4 years ago
When I first start I measure out to the T. As I use it more I've learned to eye ball it. I do find the calories accurate every time I have compared them to the label.
Mercy B.
Mercy B.
Salem, MA
4 years ago
My entire time on it I measured everything. Rice, beans, ice cream etc. I also learned how to measure meat by my hands and almonds by the bunch. At the beginning it was all about sticking to portion sizes, after a few months it became easier to eyeball because you start realizing when you're fool and by what amount. I lost 35lbs with it in 4 months so it worked great for it it just takes dedication.
Sheila R.
Sheila R.
4 years, 1 month ago
Diligently measure and weigh serving sizes in the beginning. A food scale can help with this. After a while you will be able to eyeball your servings.
Catie G.
Catie G.
Canton, MI
4 years, 5 months ago
I would recommend investing in a food scale. "Estimating" food amounts is detrimental and you're probably wrong. You're either eating too much or too little and not getting the calories/nutrients that you need.
Kim U.
Kim U.
Toronto
4 years, 6 months ago
I found tracking really difficult so I bought a food scale. It's a saviour for those tricky foods to count. I also use the fitbit which when paired with MyFitnessPal helps monitor calories burned. To be safe I usually cut the extra calories burned in half and try not to eat above.
Jennifer M.
Jennifer M.
San Jose, CA
4 years, 6 months ago
The calorie totals for food have been pretty accurate when I've checked on them. The exercise calories nurned aren't accurate at all. As for estimating serving sizes, I usually just google what a serving should look like. For example, I learned a serving of specialty cheese is 1 oz or the size if two dice.
Krista R.
Krista R.
Jacksonville, IL
4 years, 7 months ago
I really do either measure or guess. I lost 34lbs tracking my food and workout so I think I did well. The workout aren't even accurate. When it says you burn so many calories that's just what the average person might burn but depending on height, age and weight you may burn more calories. So you could be burning more off and eating less. This app is more of a way to get into a healthy habit. Done right it works. Good luck.