MyFitnessPal
By MyFitnessPal
#22 in Apps
Natalie M.
Des Moines, IA
Any tips or tricks for better estimating serving sizes? Also, how do you know if calorie totals are truly accurate?
Michelle T.
Michelle T.
2 years, 9 months ago
Get a food scale.
Eunice A.
Eunice A.
2 years, 11 months ago
I google pictures of food sizes and estimate with that...it helps a lot.
Dani H.
Dani H.
Canyon Country, CA
3 years, 1 month ago
Weighing food definitely helps. A lot of the time a serving size of "13 chips" is a lot different than the serving size per ounce. It can help you keep better track.
Chelsea W.
Elicia P.
Elicia P.
Cleveland, OH
4 years ago
Getting a food scale helps a lot. Also, measuring cups do wonders when you are at home. You can find web-sites that help you visualize what the portion should equal to. I have found foods that do not equal to what the package sates so I always estimate 50 calories higher than what the app states. This way I can keep under my allotment.
Lisa T.
Lisa T.
4 years, 2 months ago
When I first start I measure out to the T. As I use it more I've learned to eye ball it. I do find the calories accurate every time I have compared them to the label.
Mercy B.
Mercy B.
Salem, MA
4 years, 2 months ago
My entire time on it I measured everything. Rice, beans, ice cream etc. I also learned how to measure meat by my hands and almonds by the bunch. At the beginning it was all about sticking to portion sizes, after a few months it became easier to eyeball because you start realizing when you're fool and by what amount. I lost 35lbs with it in 4 months so it worked great for it it just takes dedication.
Sheila R.
Sheila R.
4 years, 3 months ago
Diligently measure and weigh serving sizes in the beginning. A food scale can help with this. After a while you will be able to eyeball your servings.
Catie G.
Catie G.
Canton, MI
4 years, 7 months ago
I would recommend investing in a food scale. "Estimating" food amounts is detrimental and you're probably wrong. You're either eating too much or too little and not getting the calories/nutrients that you need.
Kim U.
Kim U.
Toronto
4 years, 8 months ago
I found tracking really difficult so I bought a food scale. It's a saviour for those tricky foods to count. I also use the fitbit which when paired with MyFitnessPal helps monitor calories burned. To be safe I usually cut the extra calories burned in half and try not to eat above.