My Big Fat Greek Wedding (DVD)

by Warner Bros Entertainment

Toula Portakalos (Nia Vardalos) feels trapped in her large Greek family, where women are expected to do only three things: "marry Greek men, have Greek babies, and feed everyone until the day they die." Rebelling against this fate, Toula quits the family restaurant, goes to college, fixes her hair, and falls in love with Ian (John Corbett), a guy who is way-too-good-to-be-true, and not Greek. This horrifies Toula's Greek culture-crazed father (Michael Constantine) and sets off a major culture clash between her loud, eccentric family (whose activities include roasting whole lambs on the front-yard barbecue spit) and Ian's subdued, overcivilized Anglo-Saxon parents. Based on Vardalos' own autobiographical one-woman play, MY BIG FAT GREEK WEDDING is that rare romantic comedy that has the courage to trust its simple, human story and not resort to overwrought Hollywood sentimentality and phony glamour (all the characters in the film look and act like real people). It's also filled with big, fat, crowd-pleasing laughs, making it a wedding most worth attending. Co-produced by Tom Hanks, the movie is set in Chicago, but was filmed in Toronto. The spirited cast includes Lainie Kazan and Andrea Martin (of SCTV fame) as Toula's mom and aunt.

Which character is your favorite?
Start your review of My Big Fat Greek Wedding (DVD)!
Pop Culture Expert Level 1
This movie is too funny! Impossible not to laugh once. The content is so rich and seems to be worth so much more than a big budget flick which is astounding. There’s a certain quality that makes it innocent and authentic. It made a lasting impact on me and my fiance that we find ourselves quoting the characters making inside jokes that you have to see to understand! “what you mean he don’t eat no meat? ... Oh I know, I’ll make lamb”
Glendale, CA
1,108 reviews
One of the funniest movies ever! I related to this movie so much because I’m Armenian and we are similar to Greeks. Everyone does a great job in their role. Highly recommend if you’re up for a lot of laughs!
Peabody, MA
Pop Culture Expert Level 2
"What do you mean you don't eat no meat? It's ok it's ok, I make lamb." I love this movie. I've lost count how many times I've watched it. My sister and I can quote so many different parts from the movie. It's a genuinely funny romantic comedy..I'd say more funny than romantic which I think is nice (not super sappy). It's good for families to watch together.
Wellford, SC
Pop Culture Expert Level 4
1,923 reviews
Very entertaining! Funny, heartwarming! A movie you can watch over and over! Great actors!
Melbourne, FL
It’s ok maybe a [email protected] parts but I didn’t love the movie was kind of boring after a while I would definitely not buy it
Mason, MI
Pop Culture Expert Level 6
I love this movie! I've seen it 10 times and I still laugh every time. The meet-cute is sweet and Cousin Nikki is great comedy.
Pop Culture Expert Level 1
It's impossible not to love this movie, it's so quotable.  I love that you get such a clear view into another culture.  I was very young when this was released and when I saw it, so I wasn't aware the Greek or Greek/American culture wasn't very represented in American cinema/television.  The characters are phenomenal, it's beautifully written, just hysterical.  It's a romcom in a class of it's own.
Pop Culture Expert Level 2
I love this movie! So funny! I can watch this movie over and over again and never get tired of watching it. I remember this first time I watch this on dvd was with my family and all my relatives(aunts,uncles and cousins) and we laughed at the whole movie. I have this movie on dvd.
Cowpens
One of my faves! Anytime someone has a pimple or sore the father's suggests spraying Windex on it. Favorite part though is when the Greek lady is talking about the twin the doctor found in a lump on her neck. Love this movie!
Des Moines, IA
One of my all time favorite child hood movies. I love that they show she can be beautiful by just changing a few things not changing all of herself