BY MODERN FAMILY #7 in TV

Modern Family
  • "This is one of my favorite shows and I really like how they have multiple story lines going at once." in 9 reviews
  • "Seriously the funniest show to watch with your family it's the best and gives you a good laugh I love it " in 7 reviews
  • "I watched every episode I could while deployed it was a great way to get the giggles out" in 7 reviews
  • "It features views from a diverse group of people and is so well written and funny, it's perfect! " in 6 reviews
  • "Always gives me a good laugh so I look forward to watching it" in 6 reviews
Michelle B.
Michelle B.
Huntington Beach, CA
Funniest show currently on t.v. I've been watching since the first show, and still look forward to new episodes. I love how well written the characters are. I appreciate that though when the show began, the characters all were stereotypes (gold digger, vacuous pretty girl, overachiever nerdy girl, high strung helicopter mom, melodramatic gay man [Cam], naughty & dumb son), now the characters have transcended those stereotypes, while still being true to who they are. Who would think Cam would be a successful, intense football coach? That Gloria would have such depth? That Alex Dumphy would get to show the flip side of academic excellence (stress so bad she needed counseling). That goofy Phil would be a steadying influence and offer wisdom to his kids (and us viewers)? That traditionally masculine and gruff Jay would develop such a soft spot for his stepson Manny, or, wow, would be the life of the party at gay guys cocktail hour?! These things evolved over many seasons; the characters still are who they are, but they have a depth and multidimensionality that is almost completely absent from most television. I love it.My kids love it too.

I am also very appreciative that the show handles tough topics in a gentle way (never veering into "afterschool special" territory). My son is "gifted" & a younger, boy dupe for Alex Dumphy. The episode where Alex goes to counseling & they show her in the therapist's office discussing the stress & pressure that comes with being always the #1 student was an answered prayer for my family. I had no idea my son was feeling pressure (just like Alex). We happened to be watching this episode together, & it started a dialogue between us that is still really helpful. The episode encouraged me to see my son differently, which helps me to be a better mom. I also appreciated that the same episode made counseling very non-threatening & normal, which will help a lot of people who are intimidated to get this kind of support.

Funny, the thing that some parents might freak out about (two-dad family) is no big deal at all to my kids. They way more notice if a character is rude to a friend, and are in a little new territory when issues of Lily being adopted & of a different ethnic origin than her parents. We've had "discussions" about those issues - but the gay dads thing is nothing to them. Turns out, they have several two-dad and two-mom families at their school.

Last note: I definitely monitor when the kids watch this (the remote is literally in my hand with fingers on the on/off & pause buttons), not because of gay themes, but more Haley's dating life and the chemistry/adult themes (role playing, almost flashing - by accident, the adult banter etc.) of the "squarest" of the 3 adult couples: Phil & Claire. It's ironic that the straight, traditional, not at all "modern" of the 3 main married couples is the most racy, whereas Cam & Mitchell are completely boring & square! I do love the stereotype breaking there. Great, great show!!
Renee D.
Renee D.
Las Vegas, NV
Ite a review about a product that you've usedite a review about a product that you've usedite a review about a product that you've usedite a review about a product that you've usedite a review about a product that you've usedite a review about a product that you've usedite a review about a product that you've usedite a review about a product that you've usedite a review about a product that you've usedite a review about a product that you've usedite a review about a product that you've usedite a review about a product that you've usedite a review about a product that you've usedite a review about a product that you've usedite a review about a product that you've usedite a review about a product that you've usedite a review about a product that you've usedite a review about a product that you've usedite a review about a product that you've usedite a review about a product that you've usedite a review about a product that you've usedite a review about a product that you've usedite a review about a product that you've usedite a review about a product that you've usedite a review about a product that you've usedite a review about a product that you've usedite a review about a product that you've usedite a review about a product that you've usedite a review about a product that you've usedite a review about a product that you've usedite a review about a product that you've usedite a review about a product that you've usedite a review about a product that you've usedite a review about a product that you've usedite a review about a product that you've usedite a review about a product that you've usedite a review about a product that you've usedite a review about a product that you've usedite a review about a product that you've usedite a review about a product that you've usedite a review about a product that you've usedite a review about a product that you've usedite a review about a product that you've usedite a review about a product that you've used
Samantha M.
Samantha M.
Martinsburg, WV
Every show I've written a review on, I turned into a short story about how I ultimately have no life, and let shows I watch on TV and their characters warp into my own reality and become my besties, so I'm going to try not to do that with this one! It's going to be hard though, cause I'm crazy about Modern Family! This show is hilarious! The characters are super relatable, and the content is "pee your pants a little bit" funny. I've been watching Modern Family since it aired, and I've probably watched every episode more than once. Of course, my favorite character is Cam. In my opinion, he makes the show! His character is hilarious and I love the couples dynamic between him and Mitch. I also love Al Bundy, I mean Jay. There's not much better than a grumpy, smarta** yet hilarious old man with an incredibly hot wife with a super strong accent (Sofia Vergara), and a super smart, ridculously funny stepson. The humor is very dry, and I love it. If you're looking for a show that will having laughing your deriere off, but also makes you love and relate to the characters, Modern Family is for you! All the characters are awesome. I only talked about a few, but you will love each and every one. If you hasn't watched Modern Family, first you need to question your sanity and priorities in life, then you need to go watch it! Like no! There is basically always an episode playing at some point in time during the day, so it won't be hard to find!
Sarah H.
Sarah H.
Brookville, IN
The episodes in this season have been very good so far and I expect that will continue as usual. There is a huge difference in the way Luke looks. He has shot up in height and is looking very much the teenager. This can suddenly happen to boys and did happen to him. The Phil & Claire family remains the most interesting one for me. Phil, of course, always messes up in some very Phil way. This week he was convinced some guy on the street had scammed him and the guy turned out to be the doctor who delivered Luke. It was hard digging himself out of that hole. But the week before he was hatching ducklings and engaged in a duck habitat, which was even more like him. Claire is a disaster in a different way. This week she made just about every mistake at work she could and, of course, it was the bring your daughter to work day. Alex is in college but we see just as much of her.

The gay couple are the same as always and their young daughter is the one who is usually the most sensible and pragmatic of this family threesome. The two men are always going off the rails with something. Cam scheming to get Mitch back in harness as a lawyer was very funny. Jay and Gloria have Manny and Joe as the sons. Joe just got old enough to use as a character whereas Manny is about the same as always. Jay and Gloria are best when they are acting with other family members. When they get caught up in problems between themselves it just isn't as funny.
Katrina G.
Katrina G.
E Los Angeles, CA
Cute. Humorous. And very modern (as the title suggests). I love this show for many reasons. Obviously for the comedy but also for the bold move of having different family dynamics than what's been on TV for so long. First of all, I love that there are gay parents on the show! That's something that's extremely new to the sitcom/media world and it's so great to finally have that depicted for every one to see. I also really love the larger "typical" TV family because they aren't the typical at all; they're like your average family including: fighting siblings, fighting parents, dad-joke dad, loveable but also tries hard mom, the different kind of personalities in the siblings, etc. And then there's the interracial relationship, though it's the funniest simply because of the broken language barrier at times and the age gap jokes that are made its nice to see that they do love each other and the female is not as maliciously depicted as a gold digger. Modern family is an amazing show.
Wilma J.
Wilma J.
Las Vegas, NV
I love this show. Each and everyone of the characters has great timing and it appears that the case seems to get along both on stage and off. The scripts are hilarious. The show that stands out in my mind is from a few years back when Cameron was trying to get Lily into a prestigious pre-school and was using whatever card could get her in. They were informed that special consideration was given to minorities. The used the race card for Lily and then the gay card. They were blown away when they were in the waiting room and saw a White lesbian couple, one in a wheelchair, with a Black child. As a last resort Cameron and his partner reached way back and indicated that they were part Native American and should receive special consideration. That episode was hilarious..
Taylor B.
Taylor B.
Modern Family is a lighthearted funny show to watch with family during prime time. I love that even though the central family is the typical two paren't home, they have three kids instead of the typical two. I love that each child has distinct personalities. I love that the oldest child faces issues like going to jail or dropping out of college bc not everyone's life is squeaky clean. But most importantly I love that the gay couple with an adopted child, and the couple including the grandfather with the younger wife and her previous child have equal air time. I also enjoy that they show a big diverse family getting together for family time in addition to the individual nuclear family units. It's a cheeky representation of how the American family is shifting.
Dianne R.
Dianne R.
Louisville, KY
Pop Culture Expert
This show has humor and heart and is one of my favorites. I watch syndicated episodes when they air and we'll sometimes binge-watch the show and laugh even when we know what jokes are coming. The child and adult actors play their roles well. I love how they deal with situations and struggles honestly. I appreciate how the show represents relationships between fathers and daughters and sons, siblings, how those relationships change and grow over time, as well as relationships between stepfather and stepchild, adoption, gay marriage and mixed marriage between a white man and a Hispanic. It's a slice of life series and it is authentic and beautiful and funny, oh, so funny. It shows that America is a melting pot between all kinds of individuals.
Aderly G.
Aderly G.
Medley, FL
I just want to say that I love this show!! It is good family entertainment. I believe all of us can relate to someone in it or have a relative that can. For those of you who only saw the pilot (which I watched by accident and loved)please don't give up on it, it is really good comedy. I can't decide who my favorite character is, Cam, Phil...all of them, each week another one cracks me up. I rarely watch TV but this one has me hooked. I agree that the format is much like The Office, which I also think is funny, but the shots to the camera, the expressions are some of the best parts. We have all of the shows on dvr because my daughter and I usually can't wait till the next Wednesday to see it again! Again...Best show in years!
Ana Carolina D.
Ana Carolina D.
San Antonio, TX
Contada a partir da perspectiva de um documentarista invisível, a série oferece uma perspectiva honesta, muitas vezes hilariante da vida familiar. Os pais Phil e Claire anseiam por uma relação honesta e aberta com os seus três filhos. Mas uma filha que está tentando crescer rápido demais, outro que é inteligente demais para seu próprio bem, e um filho jovem indisciplinado torná-lo desafiador. O pai de Claire, Jay, e sua esposa Latina, Gloria, estão levantando dois filhos juntos, mas às vezes as pessoas acreditam Jay para ser o pai de Gloria. O filho de Jay gay, Mitchell, e seu parceiro, Cameron, adotaram uma menina asiática, completando uma grande - em linha reta, gay,, tradicional multicultural - família feliz.
Nia J.
Nia J.
Who is your favorite character? What couple do you like the best?
Erica A.
Erica A.
San Marcos, TX
Who is your favorite character? Mine is definitely Lily!
Julie R.
Julie R.
Pico Rivera , CA
Pop Culture Expert
Who is your favorite character?
Anh N.